The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this separately to the thread a few weeks back so it is easily found / searched etc.

Chris Maume, formerly of Snellings Walter, then Prosure, now Furman Insurance is again writing insurance coverage for the track - confirmed as I put in place coverage last week.

Christopher S. Maume
Motorports Insurance Advisor
Furman Motorsports Insurance
Atlanta Office: 678.643.8415
Email: [email protected]

Premiums (in my case) was 3% of agreed value with a 5% deductible (there may also be a minimum $$$ deductible), but is obviously subject to driver history, mods, etc. From reading the policy there may be an increase in the premium if you do more than 10 events per year. Those of you who have tried to get this coverage before will appreciate that this rate and deductible is a very competitive for this type of coverage.

I've attached some FAQ I received from Chris Maume during the process of putting in place my policy - any further queries, contact Chris Maume at the above number or email. No affiliation, YMMV etc. I am just a policyholder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
9. What happens in the event of a claim?
a. Obtain a copy of the incident report from the event organizer. Take pictures of the damage to the vehicle. Notify our office within 5 business days of a claim. Upon notification of a claim, provide information as to the damage and your best estimate of the amount of damage. Next,
b. Provide estimate from a qualified engine/body repair shop and include copy of incident report and photos. Before any work is done on the auto, pictures must be provided of the damage.
c. Payment is made after the work is completed and the certified mechanic and/or body repair shop submits their final invoice.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
So if you are at fault on the track and damage another car, the insurance will not cover it? This is only coverage for your car?

In addition, what if you decide not have the damage repaired? Plenty of people have taken damaged clams from an elise and put on an exige. Why does the policy only pays AFTER work is complete...this limits how you can use the insurance returns. Race cars are often not returned to stock conditions for a number of reasons.

Im racing now, so Im starting to become interested in insurance options.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Doug

Couple of points:

1. The insurance is for on-track physical damage to your car and nothing more - so in that respect it is very different from on-road insurance. However, in a track environment there wouldn't usually be any liability to others for physical damage - the track waiver establishes that pretty clearly. Although someone could always sue etc. and you could incur medical bills - but these are not the subject of the insurance policy.

2. The insurance is targeted at Drivers Ed events, not race series - that's a whole other ball of wax, although I know that Chris Maume is also active in arranging coverage for race teams.

However your point (c) is pretty standard at least in my experience - the insurance company pays the shop upon completing the work TADTS I understand your query but isn't that is looking to get something out of the situation that wouldn't be available for "normal" on-road insurance? Nevertheless, I'd guess that in any situation you could approach the insurer and say "to get this repaired as it WAS would cost $XX dollars but I would prefer to repair it in THIS way for $YY. And if $YY is less than $XX, would you approve?

BUT: I didn't really want to get drawn into acting or speaking on Chris Maume's behalf - he should really respond himself - call or email him directly?

·
Registered
992 Posts
wow - great info. thanks for posting; i'll email him about race series and post relevant info here for other scca racers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with this insurance group? I have been trying to sign up for nearly 2 months. Never get calls returned. Seems they are always "looking into it"...My impression is that they do not seem to care for my business...is it just me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts