The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My bad, somehow I was typing shock while my mind said spring. At $75 a spring, that would put about $300 and the track pack susp price is usually $1600-$1700 here, so that will put it to $2000. Nitron single adj is $1900.

Well, I guess I know what I am going to get without hassle. The question now is whether I should upgrade to Ohlins as that's another $500 to spend and I just like to set up the susp once and drive instead of adjusting all the time.

Btw, does Lotus or any shop sell the Cup car Ohlins susp setup?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jack is right, springs are cheap and widely available. i didn't look at any of the numbers on my springs when I last looked, but I can almost guarantee they are very standard springs. You could almost order the same set of springs with higer rates and put them on. I say almost as when the spring is stiffer, the ride height will be higher for a given length spring. due to the weight of our cars and the generaly high rate in comparison, it would probably be less than 1/8 of an inch ride height difference. you can also order whatever springs you want from hypercoil. a new set of springs should run you $200-250 for a set of four.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
codymac said:
Wonder what RichS thinks. IIRC he just went from LSS to Track Pack and has had his car on track in both states.
Track Pack is better than LSS.

I didn't really get to test it that much as I spent 3/4 of my sessions in Green on day 1 with the Track Pack and day two it was really wet.

Jefferson, my Driver's Edge instructor with huge time in a sport pack Elise, noticed the difference from the passenger seat.

If you can get a good price on the Track Pack (IE: Buy it used from someone else upgrading like I did) then I would get it. If you are buying it new/ordering it... maybe just go with the double adjustable Nitrons or Ohlins. If you get them you'll never whish you got the Tack Pack, if you get the Track Pack you may wonder if you should have gone with the Nitrons/Ohlins.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
gameson said:
Btw, does Lotus or any shop sell the Cup car Ohlins susp setup?
Lotus Sport has the Cup car suspension/ Ohlin coil overs -- I'm sure that it's expensive. Also, the Cup setup (shock valving and spring rates) was supposedly optimized/designed to work with the Yoko slicks that came on the car.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
RichS, thanks for the input. Someone is putting the track pack susp only for sale for $1600. Nitrons single adj is only $1900 and I don't think I will use the double adjustable setup that often.

I guess I am going with the Nitrons single adj unless the double adj really worth the extra 50% or $600 more for the Ohlins. Do you really adjust the suspension that much like everytime for track?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Get the single adjustable Nitrons, you will be very happy with them:D
Most people that get the double adjustable don't even know how to set them up. Nitron has done their homework, the valving and spring rates are spot on for the Elise. I put mine on and set the adjusters in the middle of the range at the beginning of the season to get a feel for them, they are still right where I started, the car is perfect!

BTW, you don't have to take the standard offering as far as spring rate, Nitron will build a system with any rate you wish and valve the shocks accordingly.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
gameson said:
I guess for the price the track pack susp is going, then i have to put more stiffer shock to reduce body roll and that would probably put it up to the nitron single adj price range. at that point, the price would be the same as nitron single adj and without hassle, so i guess i would opt for nitron single adj.
I just got my Ohlins track shocks from Forcefed for $2200 on sale. That's around what Nitron single adjusts cost. They may have more in stock at that price still.

I've discussed spring rates with a couple very knowledgable 111 guys and their advise makes a lot of sense. Higher spring rates are really only necessary for more powerful engine loads to control squat, dive, wheel hop/spin. Softer spring rates (like the Ohlins) contribute to a more compliant suspension and keep the car balanced when the road gets rough. The roll factor should be controlled by the sway bar and slow compression setting on the dampers. That discussion swayed my opinion towards Ohlins since my car is stock HP and I drive on the street occassionally and try to focus the car specs for track use.

On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good stories about Nitron single adjustables, but I wonder if they are comparing their stiff rides to the LSS (which are totally over dampened and harsh for street use and undersprung for track use IMO). I really can't see the purpose in plunking down any more money on a sinlge adjustable shock since you already have them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OK, if spring rates is the only thing that makes the car handle better, then if you put the same spring rate as the nitron single adjustable (means replacing the LSS spring with eibach spring, for example) on the LSS shock, will it perform as close as to nitron? i bet it won't perform as good as the nitron, but will it go close to it?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
gameson said:
OK, if spring rates is the only thing that makes the car handle better
That's not really true is it? The shock and springs have to work together. A lot of time is spent tuning the shock valving to suit the desired outcome and to suit the spring rate. It's possible a that a heavier rate with the LSS shocks would work well, but I have no idea what would happen (by no means an expert). The pairing may not work well. If anything, I'd get new shocks and keep the spring rate the same, if I had to choose one, but of course shocks are more expensive.

Maybe you can be a guinea pig? :D Personally I'd go for the Nitron Singles. Unless you really like to adjust for a particular track, the Nitrons will be fine, if all you want to do is reduce body roll and inspire a bit more confidence. That might be enough to make you faster, but the stock LSS is pretty darn capable.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
gameson said:
is stock LSS single adjustable? some says yes, some says no...

they can be.. bilstien sells a coil-over tube which slides over the shock for ride height adjustability.. they also offer revalving to custom specs.. but I don't think any of it is worth it over buying adjustable nitrons or something else..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i have the track pack set up and find it much beter then the sport set up, but the ohlin's are better(much). i mainly got the track pack for street use and the every now and then track use. Simple to use and to my knowledge made for the car. The sport set up seemed too harsh for some of the roads i commute on, and the standard set up too touring-GT-ish, but wanted the EZ change when on good roads or for the track.
i say if your going for the up grade, go all the way and get the ohlin's.
Some one here will most likely share set ups with you, write them down, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The track pack does ride better on the street than LSS. Bilstein shocks last an amazingly long time on street cars. I have put 135k on a set and they were still much better than the oem Boge shocks were when new. I would think that the track pack shocks would last longer than the others between overhauls at the expense of not quite being the ultimate solution for track use.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
bump

·
Registered
110 Posts
I upgraded from LSS to Track Pack shocks and loved the difference on the street. While I haven't run the Track Packs on a track, I have driven another LSS Elise at Pacific Raceways and thought the Sport suspension was too hard for the bumpy sections. Stiff doesn't always mean more control or faster lap times - especially with a very stiff chassis.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has track times from sport pack to ohlins or Nitron?
Track times would be impossible to use to make any sort of relavent judgement. Everything from track temp, valve adjustments, tire pressure, etc all contribute to times. IMO shocks are a feel thing as long as they are good quality and set up properly.

After a year of Ohlins DA and having tracked with many types of 111 cars with many different setups, I haven't heard one bad comment about any of the available aftermarket shocks and, drivers being equal, I haven't seen any advantage that could be attributed to the shocks. Alan from BH Lotus is enamored with the Lotus Sport (alla Sport Elise shocks) setup and he claims that everyone who has swapped from aftermarket Ohlins and Nitrons to Ltus MS Ohlins was happy with the expensive decision. I don't think he'd risk his rep making onerous claims, but more than that I can't say. He also noted on one occassion that he dislikes the Nitrons mainly because the shock does not control the wheel properly or something like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have read, in several different reliable sources, that the test drivers at Lotus attibute a 1+ second advantage (on the Hethel test track) to the Lotus / Ohlins.

I am planning on upgrading my Track Pack to either Nitron or Ohlins in the spring.
The very limited experience I have had with an Ohlins equiped car shamed my Bilsteins. The Ohlins had a more organic / maleable feel. In contrast the Bilsteins felt wooden after a brief drive in an Ohlins car.

Does anyone know if Nitrons more reliable (longer intervals between overhaus) than the Ohlins?

THX

21 - 40 of 72 Posts