30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me a good starting point for tire pressures at the track:

2006 Elise with Sport Package
Toyo R888
195/50x16 Front
225/45x17 Rear

I ran these tires with my Miata and usually started the track sessions around 25 psi.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of the R888's on the track, as they get greasy and simply lack the grip of the A048's [or better]. That said, they seem to need much higher pressures than the A048's. The one track day I ran them I settled on something like 27f/29r hot.

Hopefully people with more R888 experience will chime in.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Roughly the same pressures used for the Yoko 048- 26 psi, front and 28 psi rear, hot. From there some like to run them +/- a couple of psi.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
+1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I'm not a fan of the R888's on the track, as they get greasy and simply lack the grip of the A048's [or better]. That said, they seem to need much higher pressures than the A048's. The one track day I ran them I settled on something like 27f/29r hot.

Hopefully people with more R888 experience will chime in.
Thank you for your input. I've been struggling with track tire decisions. I'm trying to find the more reasonable balance of grip and longevity at a reasonable cost. I did not like the R888's nearly as much as the RA-1 on the Miata but they wore extremely well. They did not get very greasy until they were about ready to cord. I've read on this forum that the A048's do not keep their grip as long as the R888's. I do not want to be "cheap" when it comes to tires, but I am willing to give up "a little" grip for longevity.

With the Miata, the R888's were a pretty forgiving tire as well. They would slide nicely and you could easily correct an overcooked turn, though I don't know how much of that was tire vs Miata.

I'm definitely interested in tire suggestions and why! I've thankful for this conversation.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I ran 888's on the track for a couple of years. I found if I started with around 23.5 front (cold) and 25 rear (cold) I could get a dozen or so hard laps in before the started to get greasy. I would check them bleed off air to keep the fronts at 24 and the rears at 26 or so. I found that if the pressure was kept there hot and I chalked the tires the wear woud be right at the triangle marks on the tires and they worked great. They did not like too much air (or too little). Check your pressure's after every run, if you can pyro the tires to make sure the temps accross the tires consistent thats a good indication too and chalk the tires to see how much they are rolling onto the sidewalls. I found these tire to work best when the roll just touches the triangles on the sidewall.

·
Registered
389 Posts
BTW It is extremely important if you drove the 888's to the track to check the pressures before you drive home. You will find that once the tires cool back down the pressures will be WAY too low after a day of bleeding air to keep the tire pressures consistent while they are hot on the track. I carry a little portable plug in compressor to adjust the tire pressure back up before I drive home. These tires on the highway never get hot enough and you will be way to low on presure after a track day.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Depends somewhat on the rest of your setup. Hot pressures are really what matters...

With -2.2 degrees camber front, and -2.5 in the rear, I need to run pressures around 31f/33r or 32f/34r HOT in order to prevent excessive tire rollover. This translates into roughly 26/28 cold. Any higher and the tires become greasy but the tires aren't functioning properly on my car running low pressures like other people here. Lower pressures feel more grippy (less drama), but after sharing a lot of data with people who also run R888s, these higher pressures are better for me. YMMV.

Also, I find the sidewalls are softer than A048s, so I run a little more pressure in R888s. Agree with others that have pointed this out.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Went through several sets of 048 for track duty before I tried out the R888. Comparing the two, right away noted the R888 were not as sharp in response or quite the grip levels of the 048. Main issue with the 048, they heat cycle out quickly at which point the grip is pretty much gone, plus more up front cost. Also have a set of 15/16” and use RA-1 for street and track duty. If you only have one set of wheels and want the longer life (with lower up front cost) the R888 strikes a good balance.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Roughly the same pressures used for the Yoko 048- 26 psi, front and 28 psi rear, hot. From there some like to run them +/- a couple of psi.
In my experience, the A048's work best at 19f/21r hot. Sounds low, and I wasn't a believer either 'til I trusted the more-experienced-than-me track rats.

Greg Savoie said:
I'm definitely interested in tire suggestions and why! I've thankful for this conversation.
The A048's seem to give a more honest feel on the track at the expense of life, and that they lack grip on the street when cold.

Do you have the option or ability to have a set of Hoosier's brought to the track for you? I run R888's for street-only and A6's for track-only, and that gives me the best of both worlds. If not, I understand, as getting tires to and from the track can be tedious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the option or ability to have a set of Hoosier's brought to the track for you? I run R888's for street-only and A6's for track-only, and that gives me the best of both worlds. If not, I understand, as getting tires to and from the track can be tedious.
I do run separate Separate Wheels for Track and Street and can get the wheels to the track. I have considered the Hoosier's however, I have heard that they wear out pretty quickly. And they are definitely pricey!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Is the 2nd set in 15/16”? That opens up more options. The RA-1 make for a good street/track tire. Also the Hankook Z214 C71 are available in the same sizes. The LCS used them as a spec tire, last year. Grip level was considered between the Hoosier A6/R6 with much better life (have a set that I’ll be trying out this year).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the 2nd set in 15/16”? That opens up more options. The RA-1 make for a good street/track tire. Also the Hankook Z214 C71 are available in the same sizes. The LCS used them as a spec tire, last year. Grip level was considered between the Hoosier A6/R6 with much better life (have a set that I’ll be trying out this year).
Unfortunately, both sets of rims are the same size. The car came with the track wheels so the second set are Rota Torque wheels for the street.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Went through several sets of 048 for track duty before I tried out the R888. Comparing the two, right away noted the R888 were not as sharp in response or quite the grip levels of the 048. Main issue with the 048, they heat cycle out quickly at which point the grip is pretty much gone, plus more up front cost. If you only have one set of wheels and want the longer life (with lower up front cost) the R888 strikes a good balance.
That is pretty much my experience, and I am sticking with the R888's. I start with cold pressures of 23F/25R, and then I drop them a couple of pounds as the day goes on and the track heats up.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Use a set of R1R on another mid-engine car- street only. Knew an Elise owner that used them and tracked them. Not the overall grip of a Dot-R Comp tire, but were very good for a street tire.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I drive street and autocross with the toyo proxes R1R tire. On the big track I use hoosier slicks. The R1Rs have absolutely top notch wet handling, excellent dry street handling, very good track handling (not as good as hoosier slicks). Unless you are a driver who can feel the difference between driving 9/10ths and 10/10ths, you might want to stick with the R1Rs for a while. They are a bit more predictable when they lose traction than a full-on slick. The general rule of thumb is: The greater the ultimate traction, the less room/time for correction you have once you begin to slide.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i run 22/24 front/rear but that is on a rover 2004 S2 so a tad lighter than the toyota versions. I've found even 2-3psi increase makes a world of difference to grip so will adjust a couple of times during the day.

Currently in the process to changing over to A048s as they are a slightly harder compound but not likeing them already. Will go back to the R888 whenI can.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ran 31f/32r hot through several sets of R888. Found them to get less greasy and less rollover with higher pressures.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts