The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would assume the car is faster with the top on, but is there a big difference? Is there any difference between soft and hard tops on the track? How much top speed would you lose on say a 2-mile road course with "normal"-length straights?

I would think topless would be more fun (and provide easier ingress/egress with a helmet) than with the top on. Any comments? Anyone used the "gullwing" roof on the track?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I can tell you that the consensus seems to be that Spec Miata people don't see a measurable difference between top on and top off. Some argue that it makes a difference on the very longest of straights.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ive done several trackdays with my s2000 and found i was about 1 second faster with my top up. and about 4 mph faster on the back stretch. i have an electric lap timer so that helped with the timing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys- that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I would think the targa-body-style Elise would be more aerodynamic when topless (comparatively) than a topless full convertible.

So, I guess I'll go topless on the track unless the wind buffeting gets severe (or it's raining!) I think it will just "feel better" with the top off- better visibility, more audible tire feedback, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts