The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to use spherical bearings instead of ball joints for the
tie rod ends. I will be replacing the failed stock rack (only 32000k on the rack, what a POS) with a titan quickrack so why not make everything better. What is the life span of a tie rod ball joint?

Is this a waste of time for a mostly street driven Elise? (1-3 track days and 2-3 autocrosses per year). What would I need to do this aside from the spherical bearings of course. I have the S111 steering arms if that matters. I just installed the S99 Nitron toe-pins so I am on a tear.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Tie rods you mean? I have never heard of a "track rod" before.

I am not a fan of heim joints in that application. In my experience then don't last nearly as long as a TRE if there is dirt, water, dust, etc involved. There is no good way to seal a heim and the dirt tears wears it out.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
To get the bump steering as close to zero as possible, you will need to have the rack (of the rack and pinion) at a very specific length…and the whole assembly located at a very specific place on the chassis. Do you have the machining capabilities to do that to a “standard” rack and pinion assembly so it would work properly in your Lotus? Do you know what bump steer is and how to zero it out? My suggestion is to replace the rack and pinion with this…

Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Steering - EP Tuning Quickrack

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get the bump steering as close to zero as possible, you will need to have the rack (of the rack and pinion) at a very specific length…and the whole assembly located at a very specific place on the chassis. Do you have the machining capabilities to do that to a “standard” rack and pinion assembly so it would work properly in your Lotus? Do you know what bump steer is and how to zero it out? My suggestion is to replace the rack and pinion with this…

Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Steering - EP Tuning Quickrack
I bought a set of 10 notch raiser plates for the rack to reduce bump steer.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tie rods you mean? I have never heard of a "track rod" before.

I am not a fan of heim joints in that application. In my experience then don't last nearly as long as a TRE if there is dirt, water, dust, etc involved. There is no good way to seal a heim and the dirt tears wears it out.
Yea, tie rods.

If dirt is such a problem, why does S111 only sell their toe-link braces with spherical bearings?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you are confused.
The raiser plates raise the rack about 8mm beyond stock position.
I don't know what you mean by stacking plates.
-Robert

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think you are confused.
The raiser plates raise the rack about 8mm beyond stock position.
I don't know what you mean by stacking plates.
-Robert
Yeah, without a visual at first I wasnt sure how the plates went it - I thought the rack would be raised by stacking these together in series & installed from under the rack.

I bought a pair & installed a new TitanQR Rack & understand now how these plates raise the steering racks height - quite a simple concept with the notched steering rack bolt holes.

The set I got were the 8mm from EliseParts & I installed it like this:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
130 Posts
So what is the proper position for the rack? Do you want to mount it as high as the brackets will allow?

·
Registered
913 Posts
This kit introduced by Lotus is designed to raise the rack 8mm higher after lowering the car. It will help with the bumpsteer but will not completely eliminate it.

Im sure you can fabricate your own set to raise it higher/lower from where the OEM position is; but you would need to measure how much bumpsteer/change in geometry youve induced after lowering your car with those delta values from stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts