The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Seats have been discussed in several threads, but none of them (that I've found) quite capture what I'm looking for, so pls. excuse another thread on the subject. I did try "search". ;)

I currently have holes cut into my stock Elise seat for my harness. I like the setup. I have no desire to change it. The problem is that one of the clubs I run with has a new harness policy that states that cutting holes in a seat is no longer acceptable. Thus, unless I buy a seat with pre-cut holes, I can only use my 3-point seatbelt. That's unacceptable to me, so I'm now in the market for another seat. I'd appreciate your input.

My criteria:

1. Must be comfortable enough to drive to NoCal tracks (500 miles to T'hill, 600 miles to Sears Point). My threshold of pain is reasonably high.

2. Must fit me. I'm 5' 8 1/2" tall, with a 31" inseam, 165lbs. and broad shoulders, so the stock Elise seat is just about perfect.

3. Must fit the car. I'd prefer to retain fore-aft adjustment in case I want others to drive my car, but a bolt-in seat is not out of the question.

4. Must be capable of being used with the stock 3-point belts for driving to/from the track.

5. Should provide as much or -- preferably -- more lateral support as the stock Elise seat (which, with a 6-point harness tightened down firmly, isn't bad, but it represents the minimum lateral support I'd want).

6. Doesn't look "goofy", meaning that I'd like it to fit in with the rest of the interior and not look like an overpadded lounge chair. I do *not* plan on replacing the passenger's seat.

I've not looked at this issue, so I'm open to (and eager for) suggestions.

Thanks for your help,
Twin

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I installed a set of seats from an Exige. They are relatively comfortable compared to the 05's,but have no lumbar support. I made a trip out to West Texas and back,with a little pain in my lower back (4 days driving,about 2000 miles).

Not sure if there are any rules for 5/6 pt. cut outs. I thought I saw where PCA does not allow it.

I'm 6'2" and about 155lbs..they fit me just fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey ET! I've been very satisfied with the Reveries (see my post as MRLDCTY here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13650&highlight=mrldcty&page=5)

I went the same way that Sleepless did and had Colin put a plate under the car for the anti-sub anchors. Been running with HANS and 6pt for a while now... very good fit overall. I also made a thin pad for the drivers side that fills in a bit behind my shoulders and keeps my butt from going to sleep on the longer drives. Max time in this seat so far is 5 hours with no issues. I'm 6', 210 lbs. Narrow butt, medium shoulders.

Only real issue is cost. Also, have you checked out the MOG seats? I understand it takes a little work to get them to fit, but they are a cheaper alternative to the Reveries, and very light weight.

HTH!
LP

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
codymac,

why not CF?
I prefer something more like a La-Z-Boy with a 6-pt. harness.
:D

Mostly because I wonder what it'd be like to spend a full day in - be it on the highway or pulling hard turns on the track. And I can see it looking really bad after a year's use.

I really like the Recaro but want to be able to do two matching seats. I may have to give up on the passenger seat...
:shrug:

Of course, a full on race seat will probably sacrifice a lot for road use anyway and I'm guessing it won't meet Evil Twin's 'not looking goofy' criteria.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Does the precut holes policy apply to the sub belt as well?

If it doesnt you could just get the Lotus sport seat with the pre cut holes for the shoulder harnesses. And you can easily make the sub belt slot look professional enough that the club wont question it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all, for the input. Some questions:

TOAD: where'd you get the Exige seat? What are they selling for, do you know? According to the PCA's guidelines, I cannot cut out holes for the sub-belt and be in compliance with their policy, though, so that may rule out an Exige seat for me.

LP/MRLDCTY: what's the "MOG" seat? Unless I'm actively in the market for something, I don't tend to follow the market, so I'm not sure what the acronym stands for.

CODYMAC: the "not looking goofy" criteria might be fungible enough to deal with a full-on race seat, but a full-on race seat might also making getting in/out of the car a challenge, and while my Lotus is essentially a track-toy, I do drive it to/from events, so there's a limit to how much contortion I'll want to go through to get in and out of the car.

RNR, you're right that I might get away with cutting a hole for the sub-strap, but my suspicion is that eventually I'd get caught. Is the "Lotus Sport Seat" the same thing as the "Exige" seat that Toad is using?

Thanks, all. I really do appreciate the help. One additional point: my waist is about 32", and I'm not lanky (not heavy, either, just not long and lean).

Twin

·
Registered
97 Posts
The MOG seat is the same link codymac put up.

That was a new one for me too.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Mog seats are what I had in my car. They won't work for you since you said you want to use the stock belts. These only work with a harness. They are a CF hardshell. You would be surprised by the comfort of a hardshell seat as long as it is nicely sculpted. The Mog seats have a lot of curvature and fit my butt and legs nicely so I don't have any pressure points. I have done a 3 day mountain drive in those seats as well as track days and they are very comfortable. They are NOT plug and play and will require some work to get them installed as well as a shop that can cut and bend the brackets for you. I would recommend with any hardshell that you at least have the seat covered with a grippy cloth or leather as you tend to slide a little bit fore/aft even with a harness.

Here is my seat install.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34124

I would look at getting the Exige seats through Hanger111 in the UK. The Lotus trim shop does sell the seats with the sub hole cutout, just not in the US for liability reasons it appears. Someone posted that Hanger111 can order the seats for you from Lotus with the sub hole cutout. I would read through the rules for your local track day club or company, as most have a rule that states that the passenger and driver have equal equipment. Therefore, if you put in a harness for the driver you will need one for the passenger.

You could do the Reverie seat through S111, but being CF it won't "fit in" with the look of the interior of the car.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
I sat in Lancer 360's seats and was amazed how comfortably the shell fit. At least for my anatomy, MUCH more comfortable than the '05 stock seats.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looking at the Mog racing site it appears that a carbon fiber seat with rails costs about 700 euros? A 6 point harness adds another 300 euros? And that converts to about $1500? Any idea on the shipping? Has anyone ordered from them?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
RNR, you're right that I might get away with cutting a hole for the sub-strap, but my suspicion is that eventually I'd get caught. Is the "Lotus Sport Seat" the same thing as the "Exige" seat that Toad is using?
The Lotus Sport seat is the same as the Exige seat. They are ordered directly from the Lotus trim shop and can be customized to almost any requirement (no 6th point for the US). US orders can be placed through Blackwatch or any Lotus dealer.

I believe the Lotus sport does make sport seats with sub-belt holes for European market - it might be worth it to find a UK dealer who can order and ship you 6 point seat.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Looking at the Mog racing site it appears that a carbon fiber seat with rails costs about 700 euros? A 6 point harness adds another 300 euros? And that converts to about $1500? Any idea on the shipping? Has anyone ordered from them?
I would be careful with the brackets they sell. They were supposed to be plug'n'play, but are anything but. The brackets put the seat further forward than stock and over 1.5" higher than stock. If you thought you had a tight fit with your helmet under the hard top before then you will need a chiropractor afterwards. For the passenger seat, you can probably drill extra holes in the bracket to get the seat close to the factory position, but then you have a bracket with a crap load of holes which just didn't agree with me. For the driver seat you have to cut and trim out the bottom of the seat and make custom brackets to make everything work if you want to keep the factory slider. If you can live with hard mounting the drivers seat, then you can make a similar bracket to the passenger side and get the seat close to the stock height.

Plus their idea of mounting the harness is putting it though the aluminum bracket with no support for the twisting load that will induce. Not the right way to go in my book.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I modified a Kirkey aluminum sprint car seat. More support than pretty much anything else on the market (unless you are hell bent on having shoulder wings....which I personally hate). The seat slides to the extremes of the seat sliders. The seat is so low it is sitting on the touring package carpet. I am 5'7" and weigh 165 lbs. The seat is snug but by no means too tight. You can get it in 1/2" width increments. 5 pre-installed holes. I use the 3 point for street driving and 5 point for track days.

If you buy the full cover, you can add padding wherever you want for a super custom fit. I chose the lightweight cover so padding is a bit more challenging. I painted the aluminum with a silver that matches the interior pretty much perfectly. So far, I love it.

Before you poo poo the idea, the uncomfortable nature of a seat comes from it not fitting you. A seat doesnt need ANY cushioning if it actually fits. The problem is finding one that fits.

LarryB posed this same question about 3 months ago and he is basically copying my seat. I sent him a bunch of pics and would be glad to send them to you too. I did the metal work myself, but you could have Kirkey do it all for you. I think Larry's total cost will be about $600 so it is WAY cheaper than any of your other options.

Notice in the pics that the rib cushions are still too long. I cut the rib protectors down, but I havent yet figured out how I am going to do with the padding.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
ITA66, you have a PM.....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Prior to my purchase of Exige seats, I was going to pick up a set of budget Exige seats from Hangar 111. Relatively inexpensive,they will make a substrap cut out upon request.

http://www.hangar111.com/

I did run into some delays,as they get these from the factory iirc. Marianne was very helpful and will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Bride has a padded seat that fits the Elise specifically (so they claim) and it looks like it fits two across and is supportive enough for track days or even racing. Haven't sat in it or seen it in person. Search it on google. The Kirkey is pretty heavy compared to the CF seats. I also don't like the prospect of that exposed hardware penetrating my skin if things go bad.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you like ITA66's approach, you should do a search on "tall person's seat" and see the two threads that I started a bit over three years ago documenting the aluminum seat that I put in my Elise. I still LOVE it!

You need to mount them very securely, including attaching the back to your harness bar. They are adjustable by bending the sides in our out. I used good foam and the stock bladder to make it very comfortable.

The lateral support is fantastic!

My seat was Sector 111's prototype, so if anyone is interested, contact them and see if they are ready to offer them for sale. If anyone wants to sit in my car, come visit me in Santa Barbara.

If you need other photos, let me know and I'll take them and post them.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts