The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to check myself here.

I'm in a stock '05 Elise with an alignment and 225/245 BFG R1 tires. My lap times are a second slower (on a 1:50 lap) than a Z06 on Nitto NT05 rubber (street class rubber.)

I have a little more experience than the vette driver, but he's doing pretty good.

I love driving and I really love the lotus and don't plan on changing vehicles...but I'm just after a reality check.....do I suck?

cheers

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
If often depends on the track (how long are the straights?) and DEFINITELY depends on the driver. You also don't mention the year of the Z06 (400 HP? 500 HP?) which again makes a big difference.

To put things into perspective here is an Elise and an Exige (both on RA1s, the Elise has Ohlins, the Exige track pack) playing with a Z06 with about 550 HP to the wheels and full race slicks.

YouTube - Elise Corvette and Exige at Harris Hill Road

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same driver at Putnam Park (me):

2003 Z06 with Nitto's RII's: 1:19.2 with a passenger and only my 3rd day on the track.
Exige S 220 as delivered: 1:22.1 after plenty of practice.

Top speed of the Z06 was 20 mph faster than the Exige on the main staight, and about 10 mph faster on the other two, shorter straights. Same speed in the corners, faster in some in the Z06.

No one asked my opinion, but the Z06 is a sweet track car out of the box. At least one guy on this forum has run in the 1:19's in the Exige, but he was on Hoosiers with a few other mods (pretty quick driver, too). Certainly can't prove it since I have relegated the Z06 to weekend cruiser, but I'm sure that with the driving experience I've gained in the last two years with the Exige, I'd be running 1:16's now, easy, in the Z06.

Z06 lap: YouTube - Putnam Park 100-Speed Lapping Day Z06
Exige lap: YouTube - Putnam Park Exige S

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Agreed. I have tracktime in both and the Z06 is superior in almost all regards. The Lotuses might be quicker in transition. Maybe. But that's about it.
I still think it really depends on the track. Any track that the Z06 can stretch its legs is going to have an advantage, but the smaller tracks with few straights are going to be advantage to the Elise/Exige.

I also think a lot of the Z06 drivers in our area depend on HP to go fast and suffer from that. I can't remember the last time I was passed by a Z06...

·
Registered
167 Posts
If often depends on the track (how long are the straights?) and DEFINITELY depends on the driver. You also don't mention the year of the Z06 (400 HP? 500 HP?) which again makes a big difference.

To put things into perspective here is an Elise and an Exige (both on RA1s, the Elise has Ohlins, the Exige track pack) playing with a Z06 with about 550 HP to the wheels and full race slicks.

That Corvette sure doesn't look like a ZO6. The rear spoiler looks like a base C6, and the fenders also look like a base car. They aren't flared like a ZO6. Optical illusions?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
My bad. It is however a very highly modified corvette with a lot of engine work and puts down more than 500 HP to the wheels. (At least that is what I've been told.)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
My bad. It is however a very highly modified corvette with a lot of engine work and puts down more than 500 HP to the wheels. (At least that is what I've been told.)
Yes her car is very modified, both engine and suspension and she is a good driver to boot.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
That Mini at 1:00 -- didn't want to have any part of it!!
That was me in the Mini, I couldn't bring my Lotus that weekend.. :) Just being polite letting them pass (Mid turn mind you). The mini is no competition for the lotus on that track, Im running a about 6.5 seconds a lap quicker in the lotus than in the nearly stock Mini.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts

I posted this vid over on a detailing forum called Adams that I'd post on every once in a while (even though I'll always be a loyal Zaino user, and the one time I ever tried to buy any Adams product after 11 days my order had not shipped and I cancelled it. I do use a product they sent me a sample of to try out for the clear bra though) and a mod named C6Bill got his panties so in a bunch over it that he banned me! (even though I said some complimentary things towards the vette. I guess he took offense that I called it a vette forum. (even though it is and 70% of the participants and mods have Vettes. The other 30% have a charger, challenger, SUV, or clapped out pickup) :panic:rotfl:huh:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Never challenge a vette owner they are always right even if they have to ban you to prove it. ;)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I didn't even say the Lotus was better or anything like that. Just made a comparison between the two cars and thought it was interesting how 2 cars that go about it so differently achieve a similar result in the end.
I guess some car snobs (that identify themselves by the car they own- even naming themselves after it) really can't hear anything but there car is clearly the best and never could be anything else.
I really didn't fit in with that crowd over there anyway. Redneckery ran high, felt like I was in the middle of a nascar event. Not saying thats bad, just not on the same page ya know? For example I didn't nearly wet myself over the intro of the new Camaro.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The track in this question....

Our local track (Miller Motorsports Park) is usually divided into east and west for local events. The east (the course in this post) is considered the course that favors high horsepower cars. The west has a couple hairpins, but really neither of them are very techy. They get techy when you drive near the limit....don't they all?

I'm at a point where seat time isn't really bringing down lap time, but I obviously have much more skills to build. I'll try to find a seasoned pro to ride with me and rip me a new one around every corner...or maybe a shock collar that energizes every time a brake too early or too late, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Until last year, I owned a 2002 (C5) Z06 and 2006 NA Exige at the same time - Pure heaven!

I tracked both cars at Nelson Ledges and Beaverun. I primarily used the Corvette as the track car and only tracked the Lotus once at each track.

Let me tell you, if you are within a second of the Z06 (C5), you are doing very, very well ( or the Z06 driver is not that good). If you are comparing your times to a C6 Z06, you're name must be Schumacher!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all of you for the input...

I appreciate the info and videos. I know one thing I'll need to do is learn to love every corner, even the ones I currently hate, the ones that have decreasing radius and an off-camber apex.

Yeah, the car was a c6 zo6, but you're forgetting he was street tires on a very hot day, and not even the full width he could fit. I was on R1's that do really well in the heat, the lightweight car doesn't really cook them much.

On R-compounds, he would have have been out of sight.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
A c6 zo6 handles about 99.9% as well as an elise but, accelerates better by lets say a factor of 2...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Chili, you come on out to MSR and I can show you how to get passed by a Z06. The C6 Z06 is VASTLY faster than any Elise/Exige street car on anything but an A-X course, all things being equal.

Sadly, most high HP drivers have no clue how to use their equipment, so to speak.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts