The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

Here's a question for those of you who are triply fortunate to: 1) currently own an Elise, 2) also own another performance car, and 3) have taken both/more to the track...

How does the Elise compare with your other car in terms of track times?

Please let us know what year/model and the track run on and times. Would love to hear, for example, what the same driver with a 911, M3, and Elise would do on the same track, say, Laguna Seca.

Just curious...

Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
My M Coupe numbers: s52 w/ Dinan intake,TB,MAS,Chip, TC Kine DA, camber plates, street tires.

Laguna Seca 1:50's
Buttonwillow with the star-mazda 2:01's
Willow Springs 1:35's

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Mark Starr posted times for an Elise at Limerock. I can't remember exactly but they were just over 1min. If so that would be as good as the touring cars in the ALMS. My personal best at LRP in an A4 was 1min 13 seconds. I was at LRP for the Vintage car series this summer. The best time I observed all day was 1 min 8 seconds.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
quarter mile

what time does the elise do the quarter mile?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Re: quarter mile

rucnok said:
what time does the elise do the quarter mile?
With Sport Pack, low 13s.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This isn't the best comparison but lapping at our local Wendover "track" with a 200hp Boxster with a track set-up and Hoosiers ran at 62secs a lap. Driving an Elise S1 Sport 190 I ran High 56 secs a lap. I'm expecting about the same from the Fed Elise with LSS. 5-6 secs gain per minute. I have never been timed at LVIR but I am as fast as the local M5 guys so I hope they come to Vegas next spring so I can compare the Elise. I didn't care about time before but now I wish I had :(

·
Registered
495 Posts
Adamant, the S190 is something like 400 lbs less than the Fed Elise, no? 1500 something, right? How can you expect to run the same times? I would think the S190 would be several seconds faster than the Fed model.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Keep in mind that 190 S1 cars (190S, Exige and 340R with upgrade) were never really 190hp. Maybe about 180.

At Gingerman I run in the 1:41-1:42 range in my fairly stock S2000 and I'm down into the 1:36-:37 range in the "stock" Exige. I should shave a couple more seconds off now with the new dampers/springs.

Keep in mind that Gingerman has two fairly long straights where the S2000 starts to make up some ground.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The Exige top gear video has it going around their track in about the same time as a Gallardo (sp?). I don't recall the other times, but I'm sure someone posted quite a few here at one point.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Rich said:
The Exige top gear video has it going around their track in about the same time as a Gallardo (sp?). I don't recall the other times, but I'm sure someone posted quite a few here at one point.
It's a fairly short and twisty track that they run. On a track with any sort of long straight the Exige would be left behind.

Straights are the enemy!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
grudkin said:
Adamant, the S190 is something like 400 lbs less than the Fed Elise, no? 1500 something, right? How can you expect to run the same times? I would think the S190 would be several seconds faster than the Fed model.
Probably more like 300lbs or less (Don't forget the roll cage) and my friends car is chipped to 210 hp, but the tires are narrower and at the limit I don't think the geometry is quite right as I got understeer at the limit which is not (from what I have read) typical of the S1. The Fed Elise may be a second slower though.
I hope I can get him to bring the car to Fernley next year and we can compare times :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A S190 is about 1550lbs.

Also - a S190 can't be "chipped" to 210hp. Lots of other work goes into it than just changing the ECU.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Marsport said:
lol, does not look like any one is willing to give an answer.
Well considering that its only been a few weeks since a couple hundred Elises have shown up, is it surprising that there are few replies on exact track times? Instead there are plenty of initial seat of the pants reviews which have been :clap:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not full lap time comparisons ('cause no one was keeping a stopwatch on me), but in the sections where I could push a bit, I was able to keep pace with SpecRacerFords and a SpecMiata. In the sections where an off would have been $$$ they blew me away.

Judging by end-of-straight speeds (which were similar), I was a bit quicker on just the AD07/non-LSS than my modified S4 w/ R compounds.

I'm going out again this weekend, and will get some times, but I won't be going 10/10ths anyway.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
meat said:
A S190 is about 1550lbs.

Also - a S190 can't be "chipped" to 210hp. Lots of other work goes into it than just changing the ECU.
I can only repeat what the owner has told me. I know it has been chipped as the engine is a real pig when cold. Si is 1550 the weight *including* the roll cage then?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I have been researching lap times and ownership costs for my next track car. Here is what I have found regarding lap times.

On Lime Rock
Exige 1:01 (Mark Starr's car)
Elise (Fed) 1:07-1:08 (LSS Car, stock)
GT3 1:01-1:02 (on MPSC or Dunlops)

On Watkins Glenn

Exige 2:16 (Mark Starr's car with passenger)
Elise (Fed) Still looking for a time.
GT3 2:09-2:12 (slicks - MPSC)

At Road Atlanta I ran 1:42 with a passenger in my Exige. I have GT3 times ranging from 1:39 to 1:49 depending on driver. I suspect a well driven GT3 (on MPSC) is good for 1:35-1:39 at Road Atlanta based on the Turbo's time of 1:39.

With all due respect, I do not agree that a stock Fed Elise will run the same lap times as an Elise Sport 190 (on the same tires). You simply cannot make up for the weight difference between those cars.

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts