The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I am going to run my Exige (new to me) and now named the Skunk on the track at PBIR tomorrow night - expect the temperature to be in the mid eighties. I have no experience with the car or these tires. I typically run 30 & 36 on Hoosiers on my Porsche - then drop back 6 lbs after i get some temperature.... You guys got me into this - I am thinking the Skunk is going to be a lot of fun....

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
26F / 28R per factory recommendations.

It's maybe difficult to believe that you'd go by what the factory says, but this IS Lotus... You have to put faith in what Roger Becker and friends say.

Have fun!!!!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
26F / 28R per factory recommendations.

It's maybe difficult to believe that you'd go by what the factory says, but this IS Lotus... You have to put faith in what Roger Becker and friends say.

Have fun!!!!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Thanks Kiyoshi! Cold or warm?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got a pic of the front view with your silver striped Skunk? My car's black too. PS. Nice car name. LOL

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I run 28 front/29-30 rear (hot) and the grip is fine. A pyrometer is always your best friend for adjusting tire pressures at the track (as opposed to the yahoos on this board), but the baseline I provided should be in the ballpark. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Cold.

That said, most of us who ran AO48s on the track actually reduced pressures below stock (24 front and 24 rear cold) after taking measurements with probe type pyrometers. The first lap or two is kind of squishy, but then the tires get up to temp and are perfect. If you run the car very hard (which will be a bit tough if you are just starting out with the car) and run stock pressure then you will find that the wheels will get a bit greasy towards the end of a 20+ minute session.

This depends GREATLY on how much you use the tires. If you are not right at the limit of adhesion in almost every corner then sticking with stock pressures is fine. If you are then I'd lower the cold temps a bit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a pic of the front view with your silver striped Skunk? My car's black too. PS. Nice car name. LOL
here is a frontal shot of the Skunk

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks
Subtle and distinctive. Nice

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cold.

That said, most of us who ran AO48s on the track actually reduced pressures below stock (24 front and 24 rear cold) after taking measurements with probe type pyrometers. The first lap or two is kind of squishy, but then the tires get up to temp and are perfect. If you run the car very hard (which will be a bit tough if you are just starting out with the car) and run stock pressure then you will find that the wheels will get a bit greasy towards the end of a 20+ minute session.

This depends GREATLY on how much you use the tires. If you are not right at the limit of adhesion in almost every corner then sticking with stock pressures is fine. If you are then I'd lower the cold temps a bit.
thanks a lot! that is what I was looking for. Tomorrow is about getting to understand the dynamics of the car, I have been tracking 400 hp of Porsche carrying 3600 lbs around the corner so the pushing the Skunk around is going to be a serious adjustment... and max adhesion may be optimistic first track out.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
thanks a lot! that is what I was looking for. Tomorrow is about getting to understand the dynamics of the car, I have been tracking 400 hp of Porsche carrying 3600 lbs around the corner so the pushing the Skunk around is going to be a serious adjustment... and max adhesion may be optimistic first track out.
I doubt that the Lotus will be a difficult adjustment. It is a very easy car to drive fast on the track.

Bad analogy: the Porsche you own is like a 1000cc sport bike and the Lotus is like a 600cc sport bike. If you can drive the 1000cc sport bike hard, the 600cc bike will feel like a toy.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
26/29 hot on the A048's has been the mantra for a few yrs now on stock rides. I agree with that completely. But, if you're running any additional negative camber, reduce the hot stagger to 2 pSI Try 27/29. Never let the rears be more than 30 hot as you'll just fry the centers (confirmed by pyrometer readings over 4 yrs) and get a loose ride. The rest is up to you. If its your first time at the track, you'll be safer with the hot pressures slightly lower than higher as the car becomes more of a handful with greasy tires. Ask me how i know!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
enjoy the car. but after your first track experience with the car. go get it to track specs height, remove the front shims, get a proper track alignment... there will be a big difference in the way the car behaves. i also suggest Manly's motor mounts together with the Shift Re-Inforcer. this is what i have on my car and it is just so much fun on the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts