The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my first track day with the Elise on Monday. During the tech inspection today the start of wear on my 3rd lobe was discovered. Is there enough life left in the cams for a novice track day at this point or should I play it safe and bail?

Another option might be to disable the second cam if there's an easy way to do that. It might not be a bad idea anyway since I'm a noob. Is there a way to do that?

BTW 2005 / 21,000 miles / no track days / one autocross. I'll post engine # in other thread later.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Did the guys in Waltham happen to see this? If so, what did they say? Also, did you happen to hear any unusual ticking? Sorry to hear about your problems. I forget my engine# and I have not checked my cams yet, but I know there are cars with this problem with engine#s below and above mine. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
If you can hear the cam lobe and follower ticking like a collapsed hydraulic lifter on an old pushrod american V-8, I wouldn't chance it due to the pounding you will be placing on that valve. If the valve train is still quiet, I would think you should be able to run the track day without further damage to the valve train. As always, YMMV and if you do run the track day, keep an eye (or an ear in this case) on the worn parts.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Hmmm...cylinder three...where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, Keeper. Anyone who starts an (THE?) Uberpost doesn't deserve such a fate. :) Please keep us posted. I'll add your name to the list if you think that is warranted. Or just post in one or more of the threads in question and I'll do it; include your build date, too. Had you gotten a CEL yet or did you happen to stumble upon that?

[Broken record]If your cam merits replacement or you break a rocker arm, please report it to the NHTSA.[/Broken record]

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I strongly do not recommend tracking the vehicle.

My experience is as follows:

On track - limp mode - code P1301. Serviced and theoretically "repaired" several times, without the true problem ever being discovered. I would be told it was fixed, and go to the track to have the same issue again. I think I just made it worse and worse, and by the time the cam/lifter problem was discovered, I needed a whole new engine.

Right now you can probably get by with a cam/lifter replacement. Don't risk it getting worse.

Just my humble opinion,
xtn

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the guys in Waltham happen to see this? If so, what did they say? Also, did you happen to hear any unusual ticking? Sorry to hear about your problems. I forget my engine# and I have not checked my cams yet, but I know there are cars with this problem with engine#s below and above mine. :(
No ticking. LMS didn't see it.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...cylinder three...where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, Keeper. Anyone who starts an (THE?) Uberpost doesn't deserve such a fate. :) Please keep us posted. I'll add your name to the list if you think that is warranted. Or just post in one or more of the threads in question and I'll do it; include your build date, too. Had you gotten a CEL yet or did you happen to stumble upon that?

[Broken record]If your cam merits replacement or you break a rocker arm, please report it to the NHTSA.[/Broken record]
No CEL. Found during tech inspection. I'll get my info to you.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I strongly do not recommend tracking the vehicle.

My experience is as follows:

On track - limp mode - code P1301. Serviced and theoretically "repaired" several times, without the true problem ever being discovered. I would be told it was fixed, and go to the track to have the same issue again. I think I just made it worse and worse, and by the time the cam/lifter problem was discovered, I needed a whole new engine.

Right now you can probably get by with a cam/lifter replacement. Don't risk it getting worse.

Just my humble opinion,
xtn
OK. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
#1, park it. fix it first. else you risk circulating MORE metal thru the engine.

#2. what oil are you using, brand, type, ?
good luck, sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts