The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
boxerman
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week took the elise to LRP. First time running slicks on the car Yoko 004. It was to say the least transformative, way way better than 048's. Not least because the sidewall stiffness allows the car to be so accuratly placed. If felt like I could sense and correct mistakes instantaneously.

The LSS suspension was not even remotely overwhelmed, in fact I would say it was the first time the LSS started to make sense instead of seeming harsh.
Grip was great and transition to slide easily detectable and correctable.

I started with 24 psi front 26 rear. Halfway through it got a bit greasy, immeduatly after the first session the left rear read 34 psi and left front 33.

Next time I sent out with pressures lowered to 23 25 which then took too much time to find ideal grip. Basicaly these tires like to start at 24 26 and not really go above 30 which is the balance I found by the third sesssion.

One last thing, my corner speeds were so much higher than before that it was far faster than say getting a supercharged engine. Certainly made the elise quicker around the track than everything else, ie vettes porche boxter spyder etc. The most enjoyable and inexpensive upgrade you can make to a tracked elise.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
The Yoko S01s really are hero-makers. I can do things with the car I'd never be able to think about with street tires (R888s or A048s). I run mine quite a bit lower pressured though, I start 22 rear and 20 front as most of the guys I've talked to say you want them pretty damn low (mainly Jack who runs Lotus Cup). Do you know what sorta of camber you're running? At first I ran them on stock parts and I didn't have nearly enough negative camber up front and was burning the outside edge of the tire as it was leaning over so far. I'm at -3.2 in the front now and with my pressures right I'm not rolling them at all - or at least not that I can tell from looking at the tires and from photos I've seen of the car.

Now you need a Traqmate/etc so you can really see what you're getting :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
We're working on tire pressure now too and I was starting in the 18 range and looking for 24-25 psi hot all around. Car felt great, wear was good on all but the outside rear tire on a track with heavy right turns (NJMP Lightning) where there was some wear on the middle inner part of the tire, actually suggesting I may need even a bit lower pressure. This is on a 07 Cup car, Soft Yokos.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
We're working on tire pressure now too and I was starting in the 18 range and looking for 24-25 psi hot all around. Car felt great, wear was good on all but the outside rear tire on a track with heavy right turns (NJMP Lightning) where there was some wear on the middle inner part of the tire, actually suggesting I may need even a bit lower pressure. This is on a 07 Cup car, Soft Yokos.
What is your suspension setup like?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Car has the stock Ohlins, I have the Sector 111 front control arms so I am running about -2.3 in front and -2.4 in the rear. Sway bar is in center hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts