The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here and new car to me.
Also my first full tracking this car and I am loving it.
I’m at Oregon Raceway Park ORP which I know well but it’s my first time tracking here too with this car!
That’s a lot of firsts😀 but if you’re not first your last lol!
A few missed shifts and I’ve got to learn this car a lot more but pretty fast laptimes here at 1:56 got down to 1:55 earlier when it wasn’t so hot.
I just love passing GT2RS and GT3RS cars!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice run. Your lines were really clean.

Yea the shifting sucks. I found that replacing the rear engine mount improved the shifting dramatically. Something to look into it it's not done already.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Nice!

5. Transmission:

The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

And, use:

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:

https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-enforcer?category=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting. I also reoriented one swivel joint.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
188 Posts
Great video, I love the look and feel of that racetrack. Looks like one that doesnt punish you to much if you have a wipeout, lots of open spaces!

Reactions: Call me Al

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is session long video going in the opposite direction going clockwise. It’s a long video but it’s got a lot of good stuff in it some expensive fancy machinery getting past by my Lotus.
And it’s only my second day tracking this car but today I’m finally getting the hang of ikeeping it in the sweet spot. And I’m experimenting with gears and making a few mistakes that are pretty dramatic LOL.
But I drive in the rain practicing corrections like crazy so I’m pretty good at saves.
At the end of the video to see me pass another Elise. There were a lot of Caterhams there this weekend too. Only the 300 HP with the sequential one could beat me....barely LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First real mods, had to replace the clutch as when I bought a pressure plate was in pieces! Got a nice ACT stronger clutch and light flywheel.from Monkey Wrench.
I also got some new wheels from Greg’s Racing. I’m going with a square 245/40/17 tires set up on 8X17 rims. Had to grind the front clam wheel arcs a little bit. With a 5 mm quality spacer my tires don’t rub at all.
I tightened up my front sway bar one notch to the maximum in tightness. And I left my Nitrons at what they were at. Boy what a difference the square tire set up made. Super grip in front and improved braking for sure. The ride turned out to be a little heavy on understeer but not bad. Actually it’s a pretty good set up to get used to the car although I’m good with corrections. But I want to add more oversteer so I’m going to try to just tighten up my rear Nitrons. I do not have a rear swaybar I do not even know if these cars use them?!
Anyway the car is a beast I was the fastest at the track even though I was 25 to 35 HP slower on the 2 long straightaways. Can’t wait to dial it in a little more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@Call me Al , you coming from an Alfa 4C by chance? There was somebody on that forum with a similar name. If have a Lotus Elise and Alfa 4C, so I frequent both forums.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Call me Al , you coming from an Alfa 4C by chance? There was somebody on that forum with a similar name. If have a Lotus Elise and Alfa 4C, so I frequent both forums.
Yup ah ha that’s me.
But I sold my 4C recently. It’s funny I have the same problem as with 4C I’m faster than everyone at the track on the corners and overall laptime but the long straightaways I worry about the high horsepower cars but overall slower lap times divebombing me at the end of long straightaways.
But with the Lotus the answer is easier to add power. I’m thinking of a 2 L stroker high rev naturally aspirated motor around 300 HP that should more than do the trick!😃

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
I'm surprised to see that a square setup with 245's in front still has some amount of understeer. To me it seems like you've got other setup parameters that could be changed to get the desired state (better turn in) without having to run huge tires up front. Ones that come to mind

1. Maximum camber, especially up front (at least -2*, but ideally -2.5* to -3*)
2. Total toe up front zero or a touch of toe out
3. Reduced toe in the rear 2mm toe in
4. Increase rake from front to rear
5. Softer front damper settings

Do you have any/all of these sorts of things done already?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm surprised to see that a square setup with 245's in front still has some amount of understeer. To me it seems like you've got other setup parameters that could be changed to get the desired state (better turn in) without having to run huge tires up front. Ones that come to mind

1. Maximum camber, especially up front (at least -2*, but ideally -2.5* to -3*)
2. Total toe up front zero or a touch of toe out
3. Reduced toe in the rear 2mm toe in
4. Increase rake from front to rear
5. Softer front damper settings

Do you have any/all of these sorts of things done already?
Well I’m a “surprising” guy😃
People baucted when I turn my 4C into a square set up yet I had the fastest one by far.
I use my brakes a lot and for a whole bunch of things other than just slowing down and so I like to have big paws on the track. And I don’t have any problem getting heat into the tires.
The car is new to me I’m still discovering things I didn’t know there was camber adjustments? Do you have to buy some special mod suspension parts to adjust negative camber in the front? How about the rear? If so that’s great news.
maybe I made it sound worse than it is. The car handles absolutely great I just prefer a little bit more understeer and it’s not even much needed for my driving preference.
Treadwear looks really good I’ve got a tire pyrometer I might pull out but I can usually tell just by looking at the treadwear.
There’s a whole lot of benefits of having a square tire set up in a lightweight mid engine car with decent weight distribution. I actually prefer closer to 50-50. And going square actually gets me in that direction.

·
Administrator
1,423 Posts
People baucted when I turn my 4C into a square set up yet I had the fastest one by far.
I use my brakes a lot and for a whole bunch of things other than just slowing down and so I like to have big paws on the track. And I don’t have any problem getting heat into the tires.
The car is new to me I’m still discovering things I didn’t know there was camber adjustments? Do you have to buy some special mod suspension parts to adjust negative camber in the front? How about the rear? If so that’s great news.
maybe I made it sound worse than it is. The car handles absolutely great I just prefer a little bit more understeer and it’s not even much needed for my driving preference.
Treadwear looks really good I’ve got a tire pyrometer I might pull out but I can usually tell just by looking at the treadwear.
There’s a whole lot of benefits of having a square tire set up in a lightweight mid engine car with decent weight distribution. I actually prefer closer to 50-50. And going square actually gets me in that direction.
I have a feeling once you've made changes in the car to suit your obviously experienced style you'll really be out kicking A!. Nice trailer!

Reactions: Call me Al

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Would you please explain your reasoning behind how going with a square tire setup helps you make a car with 60% rear weight bias behave like a car with 50/50 weigh distribution.
Thanks,
Eldon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you please explain your reasoning behind how going with a square tire setup helps you make a car with 60% rear weight bias behave like a car with 50/50 weigh distribution.
Thanks,
Eldon
Sure it’s pretty simple the larger rims and tires are heavier than OEM wheels and tires. By adding more weight to the front improves the weight distribution:)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Sure it’s pretty simple the larger rims and tires are heavier than OEM wheels and tires. By adding more weight to the front improves the weight distribution:)
You realize that the amount of weight that you are adding is not a significant change. To effect the weight distribution in the car approximately 1%, you would have to add about 20 lbs to the front of the car. That is a significant change to the inertia that you are now requiring the front brakes to over come.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You realize that the amount of weight that you are adding is not a significant change. To effect the weight distribution in the car approximately 1%, you would have to add about 20 lbs to the front of the car. That is a significant change to the inertia that you are now requiring the front brakes to over come.
Later,
Eldon
I’m glad you understand my weight distribution improvement now. I never said it was significant I said it was improved.
I could explain to you how significantly wider tires will allow greater stopping power too if you wish. As you know the Lotus braking system is quite good and has extra capacity.
High-performance sports cars are like a giant battery they have to have capacity to absorb energy. I’ve been doing this modding cars for a long time. I think I know what I’m doing. Jeepers my SUV with 325 square tires beats up Audi RS 8 two door sports cars! People go home early they’re so disappointed they can’t compete Lol

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I’m glad you understand my weight distribution improvement now. I never said it was significant I said it was improved.
Please do tell! So, in other words, saying something that is improved does not matter if it is insignificant? Also, you have already stated that you know little about the suspension of a Elise/Exige since you did not know what adjustments can be made. How can you state that the Elise/Exige has a significant braking system. If you reach out to the other members, you will find that most who have pushed the performance of the car have removed the brake masters/ABS system and gone to split masters, no ABS and no booster. At the risk of poking the bear but I think you need to do a little more research in to this published hypothesis.

By the way, I do know @Jack but my wife calls him Waldo!

Smiles,
Eldon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please do tell! So, in other words, saying something that is improved does not matter if it is insignificant? Also, you have already stated that you know little about the suspension of a Elise/Exige since you did not know what adjustments can be made. How can you state that the Elise/Exige has a significant braking system. If you reach out to the other members, you will find that most who have pushed the performance of the car have removed the brake masters/ABS system and gone to split masters, no ABS and no booster. At the risk of poking the bear but I think you need to do a little more research in to this published hypothesis.

By the way, I do know @Jack but my wife calls him Waldo!

Smiles,
Eldon
I thought Lotus people were purists and even say 5 or 10 pounds moved to a improved weight distribution was important?! What say ye do you concur?
You anti-square Earth people are missing out on so many benefits and tracking consumable savings.
Suffice to say we differ in opinion because I also use my brakes other than just slowing down more than most.
Driving style has a lot to do with it to. As long as you’re having fun and safe that’s all that matters to me :).
I just bought the car and I’m very busy so I haven’t delved into the suspension much. My car was a cup race car all its life so a lot of the important things were already taken care of thankfully.
If you have some suggestions they would be appreciated thank you!
But please don’t use words like hypothesis....we don’t know what it means LOL😃😂

·
Registered
735 Posts
You’ve piqued my curiosity, I’d like to hear more about your use of the brakes. Aggressive trail braking, or are you referring to something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Yes, I'm also waiting to hear about this braking technique that is willing to sacrifice un-sprung weight, rotating inertia, ride height and rake. The Lotus platform rewards momentum driving and not point and shoot. You should also start looking at putting something other than an open diff since with your driving style, you are getting excessive inside rear wheel spin. Keep this up and you are going to be fixing 3rd and 4th gear really soon.

As far as Lotus owners being sensitive to weight, they usually strive to remove weight, not add weight. As far as putting a larger/taller tire on the front, this will help fix one of the problems that these cars have. They have too much front brake bias. As I stated earlier, you have unfortunately, adversely effected about 3 - 4 other items in the attempt to fix one problem.

Later,
Eldon

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
hi,

It wasn't my intent to put you on the defensive about a square setup, I was curious what other changes you may have considered/executed prior to deciding to go square. I think I've only ever heard of one other square setup, and it was on an AutoX car. My intent was to try and be helpful as far as car balance goes- seeing someone say they have 245's up front and understeer is just as unusual as a square setup :)

There are a full range of adjustments you can make on the lotus, given the look of the car you've got I'd imagine all the usual tricks have been applied. Do you know what your current alignment settings are? I think for $30 you can sign up with lotus to access the factory manuals for a month, and then download them for future reference. They detail pretty well how to adjust the front and rear suspension.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts