The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track Lap Times | User Submitted Lap Times

I built a site that allows you to submit your laptimes for various tracks. It's primarily West coast tracks right now, but continue to add tracks as requests are made and as I get around to not being completely lazy

Anyways, some of the features of the site are:
- Configuration based lap time tracking (ie. BW13 CW vs BW13 CCW lap time lists)
- Filtering/Sorting. You can filter only GTRs... or sort by HP
- Tires, HP, Race weight in main list for easier comparison
- Modification list
- Video linking... you can upload a link of lap you ran to share
- Store your personal best laps at various tracks
- See other user's best laps at various tracks

You have to register with the site, create a garage, then navigate to the track and layout to submit a time.

Some examples:
Big Willow Listing

Inde Main - CW

Sebring Original

Feedback is welcomed! I built it for a group of us track rats, thought others could benefit as well...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Track Lap Times | User Submitted Lap Times

I built a site that allows you to submit your laptimes for various tracks. It's primarily West coast tracks right now, but continue to add tracks as requests are made and as I get around to not being completely lazy

Anyways, some of the features of the site are:

- Configuration based lap time tracking (ie. BW13 CW vs BW13 CCW lap time lists)

- Filtering/Sorting. You can filter only GTRs... or sort by HP

- Tires, HP, Race weight in main list for easier comparison

- Modification list

- Video linking... you can upload a link of lap you ran to share

- Store your personal best laps at various tracks

- See other user's best laps at various tracks

You have to register with the site, create a garage, then navigate to the track and layout to submit a time.

Some examples:

Big Willow Listing

Inde Main - CW

Sebring Original

Feedback is welcomed! I built it for a group of us track rats, thought others could benefit as well...

BE VERY, VERY, VERY ANONYMOUS!!!

The only reason why my on-track accident was covered by my standard insurance was because we proved that it was not competitive. They defined "competitive" as basically being timed in any fashion. They even asked how long we were out for each session and if laps were being counted. If I had run a timer and posted to this site and they found it, I'd be out on my own. You CANNOT use the "driver improvement" excuse for track days if they find you have been "competing" online which is exactly how they'll spin this

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Summit Point in West Virginia would be nice as well.
Yep, have the three main layouts for Summit:
North America | Track Lap Times

The only reason why my on-track accident was covered by my standard insurance was because we proved that it was not competitive.
This may stray into a completely different topic about using your standard insurance to cover an on-track incident...
But you can change your display name to whatever you want to avoid any issues.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
For sure, I got lucky in that they even covered it. There are some famous stories on here though from where guys got dropped because they posted autox pics on their Facebook. These companies have been known to look for reason to drop you, and this will do it if they google your email address and it shows up, even if they wouldn't cover you on track in the firsts place.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think this is an AMAZINGLY great idea, but an abhorrent execution.

I think you could make some real money with this site if you spent some money on it.

·
Registered
405 Posts

The only reason why my on-track accident was covered by my standard insurance was because we proved that it was not competitive. They defined "competitive" as basically being timed in any fashion. They even asked how long we were out for each session and if laps were being counted. If I had run a timer and posted to this site and they found it, I'd be out on my own. You CANNOT use the "driver improvement" excuse for track days if they find you have been "competing" online which is exactly how they'll spin this
I don't buy this. Racing is racing, but timing your laps is an essential part of driver training. Otherwise how would you tell if you are improving or not? Either way HPDE is making you a better and more responsive driver, which will only help to prevent accidents on the street.

Think how many less accidents there would be if people knew how to react to their cars when they get near the traction limit instead of just panicking.The NHTSA guys estimate that 35-60% of single vehicle crashes will be avoided by stability control. In reality, any crash in which stability control is relevant could also be avoided by a driver that knows how to drive properly, and that is what HPDE is supposed to teach you. The only way to learn the limits of your car and how to handle them is to get there, and the only way to get there (without crashing) is to try and go faster each lap until you are turning consistent and good lap times.

Seems to me a good lawyer could easily argue that timing your laps and even comparing them with others is simply an important educational tool to know whether your performance is improving as you learn and is similar to others with the same car. You need some way to know if you are getting an 'A' or an 'F'.

The guys that get denied for autocross are a totally different thing, because that IS racing, where your time is compared directly to other people's time the same day and someone will 'win'.

The insurance companies will always try to get out of paying any claim, but as long as your policy excludes racing and competition specifically, they should not be able to deny your claim just because you measured your lap time.

I'm not a lawyer, and maybe I am totally full of it, but if I had an incident at a track day and they tried to deny my claim because they say I was racing, I would damn sure be hiring one.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Maybe if you were timing for yourself, a lawyer could prove that point. However, it wouldn't take a lot of work to say there is no difference between an autox and this site since both cases are just racing the stopwatch. I'm not saying to not use the site - I'm just saying don't brag on your Facebook "I got fastest time of the week!" <-- that is racing in anyone's eyes.

·
Registered
712 Posts
What do you think could be improved?
Well there were 2 big problems that I saw when I first took a look at your site when you first posted. One was the navigation of the site. I searched for Summit Point before I posted about it and did not find it. I also looked in the North American section and did not find it.

Point is, if people can't figure out how to use your site... they won't use it.

Secondly, there are many visual elements that rubbed me the wrong way. Either the font used in the theme isn't that great, or how WordPress is rendering the site isn't that good. It just looks grainy, pixelated, nonuniform and unappealing (I know this is PURELY subjective). I also noticed that when you look at some of the track configuration pages, the maps actually run off outside of the borders. Going with a different CMS might not be a bad idea, but it could be pricey.

I understand that you're just getting this together and I see great potential in this. More attention to detail would attract more of the right attention be if from sponsors or normal users.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well there were 2 big problems that I saw when I first took a look at your site when you first posted. One was the navigation of the site. I searched for Summit Point before I posted about it and did not find it. I also looked in the North American section and did not find it.
Summit Point was added a few days ago... definitely was not there when I first posted, so it's understandable if you couldn't find it.

Point is, if people can't figure out how to use your site... they won't use it.
Agreed. You were the one and only person who has mentioned any navigational issues... not that it doesn't mean your point isn't valid, it's just the first. I was actually hoping for more criticism, as that only helps to improve things.

Secondly, there are many visual elements that rubbed me the wrong way. Either the font used in the theme isn't that great, or how WordPress is rendering the site isn't that good. It just looks grainy, pixelated, nonuniform and unappealing (I know this is PURELY subjective). I also noticed that when you look at some of the track configuration pages, the maps actually run off outside of the borders. Going with a different CMS might not be a bad idea, but it could be pricey.
The theme doesn't do a very good job in creating a mobile version, unfortunately. Something that I'm working on fixing. Desktop display should be more stout and consistent, assuming you are using Chrome... Safari was tested and appeared ok. I did test Firefox which caused a fun issue with it not rendering the CSS the same. So, that's also a future fix.

One of the future fixes would be to fix all of the track config images to be more consistent in size and resolution... as of right now, I grab whatever image I can find off of google, clean it up slightly, then post it...

thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm sure the site will be a continuous work in progress. Thanks for keeping the Mid-Atlantic in mind.

Looking at the site from home and in a different browser is a pretty big difference. I've tested it on Firefox (originally), Chrome, and Safari. The latter showing a much better look and feel. I didn't use IE because... well why would anyone want to use that? The search however does still suck.

A few other nit picky things are just that... nit picky. I've notice some tracks are red and others are black. I know you're working with whatever you can find.

Hope you don't think I'm being to hard on you, I really think this could be something big.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sure the site will be a continuous work in progress. Thanks for keeping the Mid-Atlantic in mind.
I just wish I knew more of the tracks out there... I can search, but that gives me a TON of tracks that people may...or may not run.

Looking at the site from home and in a different browser is a pretty big difference. I've tested it on Firefox (originally), Chrome, and Safari. The latter showing a much better look and feel. I didn't use IE because... well why would anyone want to use that? The search however does still suck.
A few other nit picky things are just that... nit picky. I've notice some tracks are red and others are black. I know you're working with whatever you can find.
haha, I'm hoping if you have any interest in laptimes, you don't use IE :)
But, yeah, it was primarily tested with Chrome and Safari... However, the images have been updated, so Firefox should look much better now.

There was a few tracks that I uploaded without coloring... oops. Got those fixed as well.

Hope you don't think I'm being to hard on you, I really think this could be something big.
Not at all, I feel the biggest critics makes the product stronger. Feedback is sometimes hard to come by, and I can only test it so much, before it all looks the same to me.

Give it another look thru, should look much better, in terms of the track images and layout.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Three Michigan tracks with lots of DE action: Grattan Raceway, Gingerman Raceway, and Waterford Hills. Please add to your website.

Thanks for creating and maintaining the website,
Bob L

·
Registered
712 Posts
I suggested a new track on your forum.

Speaking of which, having a mechanism to suggest a new track on the site itself would be useful.

Things are looking MUCH better though. Keep it up!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts