The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what tracks are near San Antonio? I've got an ongoing interview with a company there (rather not say till it's a done deal) and was wondering about the driving situation.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
See the Texas section:

Tracks in the United States Of America - Trackpedia

Harris Hill Road is probably the closest but there's a bunch of tracks easily within an afternoon's drive of San Antonio. Just bear in mind that "afternoon drive" can mean 4+ hours in a car in TX.
:)

Most of the Texas peeps just make a weekend of it and travel to the different tracks. There's lots of track stuff going on here.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So what tracks are near San Antonio? I've got an ongoing interview with a company there (rather not say till it's a done deal) and was wondering about the driving situation.
Harris Hill is about 30 minutes from San Antonio. Its a great fun track and membership is cheap.. There are about 8-10 LotusTalk members who are members of this track. Any of us can bring you as a guest to check out the track and see if you like it. Feel free to call on me if you want to go.

Harris Hill Road | News

Also here is some video of me driving at the track. There is some more video on my vimeo account that you can look at as well.

<object width="400" height="302"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2807876&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2807876&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="302"></embed></object><br />

The next closest track to you would probably be Texas world Speedway which is a much higher speed track and much longer (2.9 miles). Probably 2.5 hours from San Antonio.

<object width="400" height="302"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2961107&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2961107&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="302"></embed></object><br />

At about 3 hours from San Antonio you would have MSR Houston. Fun track but kind of flat with not much elevation.

<object width="400" height="302"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2311644&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2311644&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="302"></embed></object><br />

At about 3.5-4 hours you will have Motorsport Ranch Cresson. An extremely fun track with lots of elevation. This track is run in 3 configurations and can go from 1.7 to 3.1 miles. I dont have any decent video of Cresson hosted at the moment, but trust me its a fun track.

You also have Driveway Austin & Grandsport Speedway which most people do not run much. Driveway Austin is a Racing School track and does not do DE's. Grandsport speedway is only 1.1 miles long and can get old quick.

Eagles Canyon is about an hour north of Fort Worth and I can't say much about it as Ive never been. Just to far to drive from Houston.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Harris Hill is about 30 minutes from San Antonio. Its a great fun track and membership is cheap.. .
I heard Harris Hill doesn't allow open wheel race cars. Is that true? I couldn't find anything on the website about that.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Call Eric at Harris Hill and talk to him about your car:

(512) 692-7190 (Austin)
(210) 807-4570 (San Antonio)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...when will you be visiting?..if it's on a weekend synching up with one of our monthly church of the three sisters runs, i'd be happy to show you some of the finer driving roads in the region...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I heard Harris Hill doesn't allow open wheel race cars. Is that true? I couldn't find anything on the website about that.
I believe that is mostly due to sound regulations. They have a 95db limit at Harris Hill.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I called Harris Hill Road and got that answer. They said it was due to the sound regulations they have at the track.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I accepted the job. I'm supposed to start March 23, but I'm not sure I'll make that.

In any case, I'll be another Texas Lotus owner. Are there any other SA Lotus owners?

Also, how tight are the emissions tests in TX? Up here, there are no vehicle inspections so if I wanted to take the cat off, I could. But I'm guessing that's not the case in TX.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...congratulations on the job!..

...yes, there are plenty of lotus owners here in the region - last year's charity drive drew about fifty cars, and in fact just last weekend we formally chartered the alamo city british car club to support a much more ambitious charity weekend this year...

...texas emissions tests are only required when a city falls below certain EPA minimums, and san antonio is one of the few proper cities still in the clear the last time i checked...i have no idea about decats specifically, as i've never looked into them myself...

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Sweet! You'll have to join Harris Hill when you get down here.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I hope to move to the area in 2 yrs. sadly wife's returning to college here has ensured that doesn't happen earlier.

HHR is a killer track. I went around it in a friends Turbo Miata, and WOW (granted its the only road track I've ever been on)

The Rattlesnake is the only one here in BFE, TX and breaking in to Chaparral cars complex is illegal, so no track for me :(

SOOOO Jealous of you guys in the Eastern 1/2 of the state. Pretty green things (I think they are called plants), car clubs that don't require a Honda Emblem on the car, Tracks, nightlife, restaurants, roads that have curves.:drool:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm a Harris Hill Road Course member too. Congratulations on the job. Where and what is it? I've been down here 2 years and love it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome to the Promised Land. I grew up in New Braunfels, about 20 minutes north of San Antonio. I look forward to meeting you at some of the track events around the state.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Are you going to be working for Rackspace, by chance?

Well, I accepted the job. I'm supposed to start March 23, but I'm not sure I'll make that.

In any case, I'll be another Texas Lotus owner. Are there any other SA Lotus owners?

Also, how tight are the emissions tests in TX? Up here, there are no vehicle inspections so if I wanted to take the cat off, I could. But I'm guessing that's not the case in TX.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! Good to see so many responses. Here in Rochester, there are only 3 Elises in the whole town (pretty amazing, really, considering the population is only 100,000), and AFAIK I'm the only active lotustalk member.

The job is with Accenture. Seems like a good company, although I'll have to get a whole new wardrobe -- no more tennis shoes, jeans and T-shirts :( .

Definitely looking forward to hitting some of those tracks. Any of the video I've watched from TX tracks has had me :drool:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Wow! Good to see so many responses. Here in Rochester, there are only 3 Elises in the whole town (pretty amazing, really, considering the population is only 100,000), and AFAIK I'm the only active lotustalk member.

The job is with Accenture. Seems like a good company, although I'll have to get a whole new wardrobe -- no more tennis shoes, jeans and T-shirts :( .

Definitely looking forward to hitting some of those tracks. Any of the video I've watched from TX tracks has had me :drool:

I know with the job change and all money is probably tight. But thedriversedge.net has the 3.1 track event in May if you can swing that. Will probably have our Lotus crew there again. At least 3 other Lotus not shown. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Congrats and Welcome!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Shoot. I got you beat. 2 in a town of 100,000...actually we are almost connected to another town of 100,000. and there are Zero Elise/Exiges there...
:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts