The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... the fastest datapoint rate is once per 5 seconds... so it probably wouldn't draw a nice map of a track. Still might be fun, though.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Once per 5 seconds is crazy slow. It would make a track map like someone used an etch-a-sketch.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmm... the fastest datapoint rate is once per 5 seconds... so it probably wouldn't draw a nice map of a track. Still might be fun, though.
yeah it is, but I think that for what it was intended, its probably a bit better than marginal. it looked like the pro version they have will do better, it said it continuosly tracked and didnt have a specific interval listed. that might be a better option and it was only a small % more than the listed unit above. there are a couple of companies in Dallas here doing install of hardwired units that have realtime display/output to a website for remote tracking and those units are only a few hundred installed plus a subscription fee (better for your kids cars than your track car)...

I just wonder exactly how accurate it is when its mounted inside a metal car (lotus should at least be better if its not underneath the tub or something)with no real antenna to speak of.. A tom tom on your dash with a clear shot of the sky (no metal inbetween it and signal) will always give good results, but a magnetic cased unit slapped to the bottom of your car (or your no good cheating wife's car ;) ) cant be as good. I have seen some of these units give eroneous results (although they were much older technology too from a few years ago) saying you were on a street when in fact you were really on the next street over etc, because it was only locked onto 3 satallites or something and the accuracy was cut down to +- 50 foot or so.. i was repossesing cars at the time and some tote a note lots were using them and it was hit or miss, and highly frustrating.the jaguar units that are available have to be placed in a specific spot due to antenna reception etc and arent very popular, aside from cost I think the track record of these things may be part of the issue. maybe not...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
:evil: The "join-the -dots" of Track analysis.

"I think it looks like an elephant" "Nah' It looks like Martha's B...."

m

1 - 7 of 7 Posts