The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time ever, I tried to press the traction control button.

Nothing happened. The switch didnt light up like the sport button does. No indicator light turned on within my dash console. The button itself does get power as I can see a dim light in the engraving.

The list of my sticker add-ons are in my signature below...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you hold it for a couple of seconds? On my Elise, in order to disengage traction control, you have to hold the button for 2 seconds. Then a red light on the dash comes on, warning me that TC is off.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
You have to push it for more than 2 seconds, best while standing still.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure didn't try that, let me give that a whirl today. For racing purposes, should I disengage this?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That fact you ask this question, suggests to me that you're best to leave that button alone.;)
I knew I was leaving myself vulnerable on that one, but couldn't help but put to rest my question... wouldn't I rather not spin my tires off the line and in second gear? The guy next to me might hook-up faster than I if he has better traction, right? Lets forget about straight line 0-60mph, I imagine traction control is in play preventing me from drifting around a corner, no? Why would I want to skid if I were to race around a corner?

I'm sure these sound silly, but my common logic wants me to move forward faster and stay on the track as efficiently as possible. I know there has to be a valid reason to debunk my hypothesis or the ability to turn on and off wouldn't exist and racer wouldn't prefer it so much. Help me out, here. :eek:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problem. It's on my list for the next trip to the dealer.

I actually thought it was going to be an issue on the dyno a couple of weeks ago, but after a few seconds the ECU recognized the slippage as a fault and disabled traction control automatically.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I first started autoXing my evora the TC did seem to help some. It really is a pretty unobtrusive system. Once I got use to the car I've found that it adds a couple of seconds to my times. It does allow some drifting around a corner with the tc on but if you really want to experience what the suspensions gods of Hethel have designed into the car shut it off in a safe place and have a ball.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Do we talk about the TC the early models came with or the full fledged ESP? The latter is something I would keep engaged while an track, actually that is was I did. Sport mode alone will lift the thresholds significantly. Autocross is a different story, but on a track with speed up to 140-150 mph, the ESP is certainly helpful. Most instructors I spoke with - one of then a test engineer working for Porsche - have ESP engaged on track, modern systems don't add seconds but another safety net. And you barely recognise the system in sports mode.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
39 Posts
As I recall, you have to hold the button to switch it OFF, but just a quick press will switch it back on. If you want to know how much it is helping you, do a skid pad with it ON, and again with it OFF. Only safe place to experiment with it......

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I left in on for day 1 in Sport mode and even with the greasey street tires, never flet it kick in. Learn the car with some protection before getting yourself in too deep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts