The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the Lotus Challenge Series at Spring Mountain next weekend. Always drove an older 996 w/o traction control. After I got my Exige, I left it on at the couple of Streets Of Willow trackdays I did since I wasn't real familiar with mid engined cars. How many of you leave TC on at the track and how many turn it off? (mine is an'07, non adjustable).

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
here's the most posted thread on the topic of TC, and while it doesn't cover the specific usage on the track, it does have a good number of opinions:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48355

there are about 25 threads specifically on the topic, do an advanced search, titles only, "traction control"

if the track is crowded i will sometime leave TC on. if i'm running at an easy pace or there aren't many others, i'll turn it off.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The Elise/Exige TC is just that, a traction control. It doesn't do any stability/anti skid control stuff.

If you get in too hot, lift, trail brake, the rear WILL step out even with the TC on. However, you won't be able to powerslide out of turns. But with the stock power, I don't think many Elise/Exige can do powerslide anyway...

So basically the TC will prevent the inside wheel from going up in smoke when exiting corners. I don't think it should affect times very much. It could be a bit faster if it is off because some wheelspin is not so bad and it keeps the revs up... :shrug:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The Elise/Exige TC is just that, a traction control. It doesn't do any stability/anti skid control stuff.

If you get in too hot, lift, trail brake, the rear WILL step out even with the TC on. However, you won't be able to powerslide out of turns. But with the stock power, I don't think many Elise/Exige can do powerslide anyway...

So basically the TC will prevent the inside wheel from going up in smoke when exiting corners. I don't think it should affect times very much. It could be a bit faster if it is off because some wheelspin is not so bad and it keeps the revs up... :shrug:
OP has an 07 S, as do I. you can definitely trigger TC on exit of many low to mid speed turns.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
OP has an 07 S, as do I. you can definitely trigger TC on exit of many low to mid speed turns.
Definately. But in my Elise, I can only get the tail out under power in low speed turns. The BWR SC should take care of the mid speed stuff. :D

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
IMHO, you really have to be driving the car with a style that includes lots of sliding off the corner to get it to rotate on power - it can be done, but you pretty much need that slip already factored into the equation.

Specifically ordered mine with no TC but I wouldn't mind trying the new variable set-up.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
almost always no TC. sometimes I'll leave it on when learning a new track at first.

It can be rather invasive on tracks with tight 2nd gear corners on corner exit.(I use second gear about 6 times at Spring Mountain)

If you are a confident and skilled track driver you'll be fine with it off. If you are not then you might want to leave it on, or at least start that way. There are lots of long sweepers where the rear can step out on you.

See you out there this weekend.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. I've definately felt it kick in in some of the slower turns at Streets Of Willow and it somewhat annoyed me because I felt it a bit invasive. I think (as suggested) I'll keep it on at Spring Mountain until I feel confident then maybe turn it of on Sunday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts