The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Traction Control permanent disable?

5K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  trompazo 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to permanently disable the traction control?

My issue is that I am running smaller diameter rear tires (23.5") for autocross. Just holding the button will turn the traction control off initially, but whenever the car gets loose or hits a bumpy spot, it will come on and then it cuts power bad becuase of the smaller diameter tires.

So far the only way to get the car to run on these tires is to disconnect all 4 wheel speed sensors, which of course disables ABS. I have found without ABS I get lots of wheel lock and flat spotted some new Hoosiers today.

I have heard that the ECU looks to see if the switch is wired up, and if not it permanently disables it after 5 ignition cycles. Although, I tried this and it did not disable it.

#2 ·
I cannot answer your question, but something isn't right.

Once you turn off the TC, how is it sensing anything and deciding to turn back on? That doesn't make any logical sense with regard to how it should operate. I suspect it isn't really turning off correctly?

xtn

#3 ·
I have the pin put instructions from Lotus somewhere around here.... but if I recall correctly, the ECU looks for the two pins being connected (pressing the switch disconnects them). If the ECU does not see the two pins connected for some period of time, it permanently removes the TC option. All based on stuff I was told from Lotus 3 years ago... so YMMV and probably will.

If it was me, I would disconnect the wires from the TC switch.

That does not address the problem if your TC is actually working when it is supposed to be off, but it would be a start.

#6 ·
cory1000,

But did it stay off for the three weeks that the switch was unplugged? If so, that should satisfy trompazo's requirements.

xtn

#7 ·
Randy, you can't disable the TC on the 05, its always on by default so the switch trick doesn't work.

On the 06 it detects the light in the switch, not the switch itself (since its momentary on theres nothing to detect), so the TC harness has to be disconnected

I wonder if the wiring itself is causing it not to detect properly, but it does disable it when it works properly :)

You have to hold it to turn it off, but turning it on only requires a few miliseconds, thats why its so easy to knock it.

#14 ·
I have the same problem when tracking. Turn it off when I head out for the session, look down, usually before I've completed a lap and the dash light is off (TC on). I thought maybe my knee was hitting the button but maybe its from the tires hitting the curbs. Antone else have this issue on track?

#10 ·
I know on our PDR, that the switch is probably more robust (bounce resistant) than the one used for TC, and we had to add debounce code to our recorder.

#13 ·
OK found out why it doesn't appear to work, its the first 5 starts for a new ECU, not any 5 starts, my bench ecu's are always within the first 5 thats why I hadn't noticed earlier.

Update your local rep/dealer then we can fix the rumour :)

Maybe we'll be able to fix that remove the battery for 5 minutes to clear/reset the learn rumour next.

#16 ·
Another possibilty is that the driver's leg is bumping the switch button and turning it back on. I wonder if a "protector ring" around the button would prevent this - something like an inverted pop bottle cap such that you have to stick your finger into the recess to access the button. You could even test this theory by turning off the TC, and duct taping a bottle cap over the button. Then test to see if the TC gets turned back on. If it doesn't, then you have figured out that bumping it is causing it to tun on.

#21 ·
If you wanted the limited slip diff, you would be stuck with traction control too.

#22 ·
I know that it is not coming on becuase the switch is being hit.

I've had my wife drive the car while I was in the passenger seat putting my hand over the switch and it would come on when the car would hit a bump. And once it comes on the car is useless since it thinks the wheels are spinning with the smaller diameter tires.

THe weird thing is that last year on factory diameter tires I never had any issues with it coming on. But now when I try going back to factory diameter tires, it still comes on periodically. It's almost like there is some learning behavior.

#28 ·
Looks like Charlie can disable it with a custom Gotham tune. :clap:

That seems like the easiest scenario to get rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.