The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found some topics on this but none specific to my issue. Hopefully someon else can shed light.

I changed my front tire size from 195/50R16 to 205/50R16 and my TC is screwed up (the light on dash comes on sporadically and the car deccelerates on its own). I followed some threads in the forum to make sure that the tire size would work. In theory, the diameter of a 195/50- and 205/50 should be the same. Everything is ok when I turn TC off.

Is there any way to adjust TC? Has any one else run into this?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: TC is screwd up

195/50/16 and 205/50/16 are NOT the same. One is 195 and the other is 205 and the aspect ratio is the same 50(%) and the wheel is the same 16".

So sidewall height is

195 * 50% = 97mm = 3.84" for diameter of 16+3.84*2 = 23.65"

205 * 50% = 103mm = 4.2" for diameter of 24.4"

You increased the diameter by .8".

Obviously it is out of TC tolerance. There was another thread about this here. There is no way to adjust it.

Therefore, keep the loaded radius ratio between front and back the same. You have 3 choices:

1. Turn off TC.
2. Change front tires back to stock.
3. Increase the diameter of rear tires i.e. buy rears that are 10mm wider.

Good Luck!

Anton

I have found some topics on this but none specific to my issue. Hopefully someon else can shed light.

I changed my front tire size from 195/50R16 to 205/50R16 and my TC is screwed up (the light on dash comes on sporadically and the car deccelerates on its own). I followed some threads in the forum to make sure that the tire size would work. In theory, the diameter of a 195/50- and 205/50 should be the same. Everything is ok when I turn TC off.

Is there any way to adjust TC? Has any one else run into this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense, I foolishly assumed that the 195 v 205 had more to do with the width of the tire. Do you know what the max TC tolerance is, I read on another thread 3%, is this correct?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: TC tolerance

3% was the consensus on the other thread. You are over 3% at about 3.3%.

Anton

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense, I foolishly assumed that the 195 v 205 had more to do with the width of the tire. Do you know what the max TC tolerance is, I read on another thread 3%, is this correct?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I changed the tires to new 195/50 R16's and everything is back to normal! I now have for sale, a brand new set of 205/50 R16's Yokohamas (tire place refused to take them back)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts