The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad (AW) got a letter from his dealership stating that they will give him top dollar to trade his maxima for a new nissan.

Now I know this is just a sales pitch to get him to buy a new car, but he's not apposed to the idea either. He likes the maxima very much, but it is getting older. While he'll have the elise, he wants another more practical car as well. Should he just keep the maxima, or buy something new? Does anyone have any thoughts on the new maxima, or any other car that nissan makes? I dont think the Z is an option...because the whole point is to have a "practical car." He is even considering a truck or something similar for towing purposes :D (I think he's trying to get on my good side, although he doesnt have to try)

Anywho, just wanted to see if anyone here has strong feelings in favor or against buying a new nissan. Frankly, I havent looked into their product line in a while. Although I mentioned he should by my lil sister an SE-R. But after her accident history, we both decided against that. :no:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
If it was me.... I would be looking at a utility vehicle of some sort as a second car, because it should be able to do the things the Elise can't... like tow and haul from Home Depot.

As far as trade in, that is all about security and easiness. You should be able to do better selling as a private person and then keep the buying from the dealer of the new car a simpler transaction.

Many car sales guys may temp you with a top dollar offer, but there is a bottom line and that means you are paying a little more for your new car than you otherwise would have. But it is easier, and that has a value.

If it was me, I would be buying something like the Tundra. :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Vehicles with added utility offen suffer in other areas - like driveability, economy, and fun. A pickup truck can be rented from U-Haul for $19.95 a day, perfect for those occaisional Home Depot trips or in town towing (though hopefully your Fiat will be self-powered soon!).

As Randy pointed out, you'll get more money for your car if you sell it yourself. It makes bargaining with the dealer simpler, too (fewer variables to pay attention to).

As for Nissans, I've heard nothing bad about the brand in general. The only bad thing I've heard is the tire wear problem with the 350Z, but it doesn't sound like that's a likely replacement for the Maxima! The cars are generally well regarded in the magazines I read.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Don't listen to Randy, he drives his wife's Cocoon (mini van) :D :D :D :D

MW, if AW is happy with the current Nissan, and it is payed off then I would just keep it. I've heard good things about those cars. Very reliable. I have a 4 door 91 honda accord which I will probably never get ride of, it is really comfortable and it still gets 40 miles/gallon. My.02

Neil

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had a Nissan Murano SE AWD. I LOVED that SUV. Handled great, decent mileage, roomy and it could tow 3,500 pounds. (Great for the trailer and the Elise.) I loved everything about that car... except my example was an accident magnet. But in the two accidents it had (the second one totalling the car) it was VERY safe. The T-Boning it took (from a commercial landscape truck who ran a red light at 40 mph) didn't intrude into the passenger compartment and the Murano never felt like it was going to roll.

Have your dad test drive one. I think he'll like it. You can rent them from Enterprise Rent-a-Car also (base model), but it'll give you an idea of how they drive...

Bob

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMHO, it is not a good time to sell a used car. Dealerships are practically giving new cars away, and because interests rates are also so low, a lot of people buy new cars than expensive used ones. It took me 8 months before I sold my celica, and the only callers I wanted were literally trying to steal it from me (most insulting offer was $4k below KBB). Could have done better than that on a trade, and had less hassle.

So yes, sometimes dealer trades can be ok.

I thought about the Murano. My ex has an FX and that was great to drive. Don't know how much different the Murano is. I guess its worth a test drive. The elise will be the fun car anyway.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I looked at the FX also, but preferred the Murano. The Murano is built on an Altima chassis. The FX is built on the Infiniti G35 chassis. The FX is probably "sportier" of the two, but I didn't like the harsh ride and tight-feeling interior. The Murano is equally as capable (but doesn't get the 18" sport tires and wheels. It makes do with 17" wheels) but has a softer suspension and is more pleasant to live with daily IMHO.

The FX has the VQ motor mounted longitudinally. The Murano has the VQ motor mounted transversely. The transverse mounting makes for more interior room. (No transmission and driveshaft tunnels to worry about)

I hear ya about selling a used car! I'm trying to sell my Audi A4 and I'm getting ridiculous offers ($3K under KBB) That's why I might just sell the newer car (more demand and I got it at a good price) I did entertain the idea of selling the Mach 1 also... but I like it pretty well. And since my ex made me sell my Grabber Blue 1970 Mach 1 years ago, the '03 version of the Mach 1 is kind-of my mental revenge! :p

Yeah, I know... I'm a seriously twisted human being...

Bob

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do Infinitis count? :p

I test drove the Altima w/my brother when the current generation car just came out. Power and throttle response are great, but the interior made me feel like I was in a $10,000 car! :eek: Nissan has since changed the interior and has been advertising the change, but I haven't seen it.

I'm really disappointed with the new Maxima. It just looks so overweight with its slab-sided exterior. And with its cost, you might as well spend a little more and get the G35.

I can't speak for the Murano as I don't see myself ever buying an SUV (or any other vehicle that weighs twice as much as an Elise), although the FX45 is tempting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts