The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
  • Notice image
    Reminder! You're responsible for closing your listing when your item is sold/found/traded - when doing so please select SOLD or FOUND. If you post phone numbers and emails in your ad, your listing will be deleted (this is for your personal protection). If posting a Want to Buy please be sure you have picked the correct listing type from the three selections, ie., Want to Buy - not For Sale or For Trade. Thanks for reading!

Trade In Value??

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  RichS 
#1 ·
Anyone trade their Elise to a dealer and what did you get for it?

I have a 2005 as follows and I'm thinking of trading it in to the dealer (save the tax) for a new daily driver (BMW 135i):

- Magnetic Blue
- Less than 4,000 miles
- Touring package
- Starshield
- Early '05 w/Dual Oil Coolers

One of the best examples of an '05 that you'll find. What's it worth on a trade?

#2 ·
1 I can't imagine the tax making up for the lesser amt the dealer will give you (vs private sale).

2, The is no BMW I'd buy in its first model year (for me, only Honda/Acuras & Toyotas/ Lexuses)

the 135 looks nice in photos, but haven't seen on in person yet.

(Boy, my answers were of no help...sorry.

#3 ·
It's not the first model year of the 1 series, it's been selling in europe for quite some time - however, it's the first year stateside...

What they offer you depends on how much money they think they'll make on you when you buy the 1 series. I doubt they will offer you any more than low 30's based on the wholesale prices 05' elises that I've seen - probably less. If they offer you more it's because they're making more on the sale of the 1 series to you, if less, it's because they aren't making as much on the BMW sale.

That said, you're better off selling the elise private party - you'll most certainly get more than they would offer you. Or if you absolutely want to trade it in, don't tell them you have a trade until you've determined exactly how much you're paying for the 1 series, then you'll get a more accurate gauge of how much they're actually giving you on your trade in.

Good Luck,
Larez2

#4 ·
Anyone trade their Elise to a dealer and what did you get for it?

I have a 2005 as follows and I'm thinking of trading it in to the dealer (save the tax) for a new daily driver (BMW 135i):

- Magnetic Blue
- Less than 4,000 miles
- Touring package
- Starshield
- Early '05 w/Dual Oil Coolers

One of the best examples of an '05 that you'll find. What's it worth on a trade?

I have a 2007 BMW Alpine white 328xi sedan with only 5500 miles. Wanna trade?

#6 ·
I picked up a new M3, and since I already have a ASP vette, and didn't drive my Elise much.....

06 CO with about 3900 miles two extra sets of SSR wheels----

Carmax in Feb said 29,000

BMW dealer in late April, when I got my M3---28,000

Sold it to a fellow I know that Autox-----33,000 (sport,tour,HD, Star Shield)

Car was perfect----maybe I should have asked for more----oh well

#9 ·
All good input...THANX.

Just washed and waxed today. Pictures and "For Sale" coming soon...gotta' make a list of my "mods" and extras.

FWIW...my wife does NOT want me to sell it!!!

#12 ·
I actually test drove the 135 a few weeks ago. I have to say it rocked! Wasn't as cute as I had expected (but I'm a girl), but the performance was quite impressive. Acceleration as well as handling.

And from a dealer's point of view (maybe I shouldn't admit this) it is ALWAYS better to sell your car to a private party than to trade it in. ALWAYS.

#13 ·
And from a dealer's point of view (maybe I shouldn't admit this) it is ALWAYS better to sell your car to a private party than to trade it in. ALWAYS.
I would agree, unless you don't want the hassle factor or a particular time frame is an issue. I can say that when I tried selling my Jetta GLI (paper and AutoTrader) ten years ago it was a huge PITA with all of the strokers and people cancelling on me. Selling an Elise here, I would imagine would be a bit easier, however.

#14 ·
Or have a dealer sell it for you on consignment so they can deal with all the tire kickers and what not?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.