The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do all dealerships take in any car for a trade on a elise??

my cavalier is fully paid off and its trade in value is 4-5k.. it isn't a car that some dealers want on their lot, example..if i found a fairly cheap lotus at a dealership would they take in my car as a trade or would i have to sell it privately?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why?? They would never give you trade in value for a cavi. Youre better off keeping it as a beater when you dont want to drive the Lotus.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a bike and another car..

·
Registered
91 Posts
They will take your car. Just because they may not retail that type of car they will always wholesale it. Although if your expecting KBB value you will be disappointed as I've never heard of any dealership utilizing KBB. Most use Galves or something similar for a true wholesale guide.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
do all dealerships take in any car for a trade on a elise??

my cavalier is fully paid off and its trade in value is 4-5k.. it isn't a car that some dealers want on their lot, example..if i found a fairly cheap lotus at a dealership would they take in my car as a trade or would i have to sell it privately?
They should be able to take it on trade depending if they want it. What they'd probably do is send it to auction or sell it to another dealership that would take it. I had a few dealership willing to take my Ducati on trade while a few did not want the hassle.

The big question is will they give you something that's acceptable. Trade-in book value may be $4 to $5K but they may end up giving you only $2 to $3K.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Repeat after me: "I will not trade in a car to a dealership unless I'm willing to take a bath on it." Now say that 5 times fast, and three times backwards. rotfl

KBB is one of many guides dealerships use, but it isn't the authority. We look at many different sources, and that is just one of the tools we use. When you trade in a car, you are not going to get anywhere close to KBB, but if you sell it yourself, you can. KBB retail is already a few thousand higher than KBB trade in, and most dealers take cars in for thousands back of KBB trade in. Why? It costs us money to smog and safety the car, advertise it, fix anything that is wrong with it, and then take thousands off the price so the next customer thinks they are getting the best deal on the planet. Of course, if that fails and the car sits for more than X days, it goes to the auction, and we take a bath on it ourselves. Being a business, we'd rather the customer take a bath on it in case it doesn't sell rather than us taking a bath on it when it doesn't.

All dealerships will take anything on trade, but if they don't want it, they'll pay even less than it is worth at auction level, so they make a little money back so the hassle is worth their time. If they are going to try to profit at the auction level, just think of the really low number they are going to give you!

My advice? List it on craigslist, park it by a high school or community college where sub $10k cars are in demand, and see what bites. If the few thousand dollars aren't a big deal, then trade it in, but I'd hate to see you waste money. That being said, I traded my last car in, only because I sell cars for a living, and the last thing I wanted to do on my free time was sell my own car. I took the hit, but you have to determine what your time is worth.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
well........OTHERS have tried to swap their cars even up or with a little cash for like an Exige S.... maybe you could try that ?? :shrug::eek:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the Honesty!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4-5K??? Last January you told us you paid $400 for the Cavalier...and a fine looking car it is. :rolleyes:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152/my-cavalier-50577/
the car needed a new motor and my mom needed more money to get it back from the shop. i gave her $400 so she would have enough and then she let me register it in my name...then i had to finish making the payments on it. which i didnt know was the deal..now the last payment was made and i should have the title coming and then my mom is going to give me the car.( me paying expenses) my GF brother found us another bumper

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Take it 4 wheeling and post the youtube video. Donate it to the high school body shop. Leave it running at a 7-11 and walk away. Anything but trade that thing in!:no:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take it 4 wheeling and post the youtube video. Donate it to the high school body shop. Leave it running at a 7-11 and walk away. Anything but trade that thing in!:no:
speaking of 4 wheeling...i took a road that is supposed to kinda be a shortcut...only problem is houses are on both ends and the middle of the road is dirt and in horible condition...i had a fun time on the road...

but $1,000 is $1000 which is about $20 a month less

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I smell "future rally car"...;)

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I suggest everyone take a look at the 66 threads started by the OP. He has been BSing us since 12/06. All talk and no action. You've just about run out of cars that you're going to buy one day, your business you're going to start etc. I hope you're satisfied with the attention you are getting here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts