The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i stopped by Park Avenue Acura dealer in NJ(also Lotus dealer), and told em was looking to trade in my 07 Exige S with ALL options and 7k miles for a new TSX. The trade in # they gave me was 30k:eek::confused:-eek-
So i just left... I was offered 45 by Audi which is not even affiliated with Lotus. I guess i will just sell it to a private party for 47.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The problem is that nobody wants to pay a high price for an 07 when they can dish out just a little bit more for a new 08'. You are better off keeping it for at least another year otherwise you are going to be stuck eating the huge depreciation hit that is inevitable when selling a year old car. After another year or three, the depreciation of your car will slow down and you will be getting a better return on your investment vs. time then if you were to sell it now.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The problem is that nobody wants to pay a high price for an 07 when they can dish out just a little bit more for a new 08'. You are better off keeping it for at least another year otherwise you are going to be stuck eating the huge depreciation hit that is inevitable when selling a year old car. After a year or three, the depreciation slows down and you will be getting a better return on your investment vs. time then if you were to sell it now.
A "little more" for an 08????? I think an 07 S for 47k is a great deal

·
Registered
263 Posts
A "little more" for an 08????? I think an 07 S for 47k is a great deal

i either worded it wrong or you read it wrong. either way my head hurts now :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
a value like that is dealer code for "I dare you to trade it in!!"

cuz an acura dealer won't know what to do with it. the GM will drive it for a week, some of the service managers will drive it and 1500 thrashed miles, a burnt clutch and 30 stone chips later, it will be worth $30K.

weirdo cars like ours have got to be sold private owner or dealer consignment. or trade it back into the lotus dealer who might give you what it's worth and trade up to an 08 ;)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
sell it privately (if I wasnt this close to getting my car we could work a deal)...if you want I can help you with the TSX though;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you want I can help you out with parting/selling the rear wing and the diffuser in the pic!!;)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Here's a hard pill for everyone to swallow.

When you negotiate for a new car and beat the crap out of the dealer then come on the board and brag about it, you deflate the market. Other dealers react and lower their price. For example, and this applies to this particular situation, when a dealer is forced/ chooses to sell off their 2007 Exige S at 10k off, That immediately drops not only the price of every other dealer but also the resale value on all the used cars. This is easily equal to if not exceeds the amount of the discount on the new car. Thus your car is now worth $10k less than it was before the sell off. It also means that all related models (Elise, Exige NA) also deflate accordingly. This also ends up hitting leases which are based on market observed residuals. Suddenly everyone gets quotes on leases that are higher than finance rates. The result is that by beating up the dealer and forcing a national price war, you are in fact, in the long term, hurting yourselves. These aren't Honda's or Chevy's. The market simply doesn't recover as fast. It also has a tremendous effect on dealers because most dealership owners are not enthusiasts, just businessmen. As profits drop for a brand they carry, they see less of a reason to stock them, market them, cater to the owners, etc.

Sorry to go off but I hear this all the time. People forget that Lotus does not sell a million cars each year. They sell hundreds in the US each year. Each sale makes a difference. To the factory worker. To the engineer. To the importer. To the dealer. To the sales person. And hopefully to you.

If you want a Lotus, pay what you think the car is worth to you. Ultimately that's what counts. Can you sleep at night knowing what you paid was fair for what you received? If the price the dealer needs for the car is higher than that, either pick another car or realize that you are being unrealistic based on the market. This doesn't mean a dealer should charge over MSRP for a car. That's simply wrong. If the designed profit margin isn't enough then they should drop the brand.

If you pay attention to the above, the resale value will hold and your personal level of happiness with the purchase will remain high.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you pay attention to the above, the resale value will hold and your personal level of happiness with the purchase will remain high.
My personal level of happiness with this car never been higher. But if i come into your Mazda dealership and offer you 7k for a brand new Mazdaspeed, what you gonna say? I guess exactly what i told them.
The only reason i went to THIS dealer is they are affiliated with Lotus and should have a slight idea about todays prices(Acura-Lotus is the same autogroup and service department). They called me 10 minutes after i left with a MUCH better deal, but i dont play these games.
All respect to you, Wallabuyguy. I wish you never left Lotus.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
My personal level of happiness with this car never been higher. But if i come into your Mazda dealership and offer you 7k for a brand new Mazdaspeed, what you gonna say? I guess exactly what i told them.
The only reason i went to THIS dealer is they are affiliated with Lotus and should have a slight idea about todays prices(Acura-Lotus is the same autogroup and service department). They called me 10 minutes after i left with a MUCH better deal, but i dont play these games.
All respect to you, Wallabuyguy. I wish you never left Lotus.
Your absolutely right.

As an aside, I miss selling Lotus tremendously. I missing being involved with the community and helping to promote the brand. I am doing what I can from the outside and you'll see some of that take flight in the coming weeks. I hope to find my way "home" soon. Any dealer interested in hiring a seasoned Lotus Sales Manager?;)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
sell it privately (if I wasnt this close to getting my car we could work a deal)...if you want I can help you with the TSX though;)
rotfl rotfl I will never forget that day at the auto show with yak52pilot when that random lady came up to you and identified you as the Honda/Acura guy rotfl

Here's a hard pill for everyone to swallow.

When you negotiate for a new car and beat the crap out of the dealer then come on the board and brag about it, you deflate the market. Other dealers react and lower their price. For example, and this applies to this particular situation, when a dealer is forced/ chooses to sell off their 2007 Exige S at 10k off, That immediately drops not only the price of every other dealer but also the resale value on all the used cars. This is easily equal to if not exceeds the amount of the discount on the new car. Thus your car is now worth $10k less than it was before the sell off. It also means that all related models (Elise, Exige NA) also deflate accordingly. This also ends up hitting leases which are based on market observed residuals. Suddenly everyone gets quotes on leases that are higher than finance rates. The result is that by beating up the dealer and forcing a national price war, you are in fact, in the long term, hurting yourselves. These aren't Honda's or Chevy's. The market simply doesn't recover as fast. It also has a tremendous effect on dealers because most dealership owners are not enthusiasts, just businessmen. As profits drop for a brand they carry, they see less of a reason to stock them, market them, cater to the owners, etc.

Sorry to go off but I hear this all the time. People forget that Lotus does not sell a million cars each year. They sell hundreds in the US each year. Each sale makes a difference. To the factory worker. To the engineer. To the importer. To the dealer. To the sales person. And hopefully to you.

If you want a Lotus, pay what you think the car is worth to you. Ultimately that's what counts. Can you sleep at night knowing what you paid was fair for what you received? If the price the dealer needs for the car is higher than that, either pick another car or realize that you are being unrealistic based on the market. This doesn't mean a dealer should charge over MSRP for a car. That's simply wrong. If the designed profit margin isn't enough then they should drop the brand.

Thanks for putting things into perspective Robert. I'll keep that in mind next time I buy from you.

It is logical and is common sense, but I guess we overlook it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your absolutely right.

As an aside, I miss selling Lotus tremendously. I missing being involved with the community and helping to promote the brand. I am doing what I can from the outside and you'll see some of that take flight in the coming weeks. I hope to find my way "home" soon. Any dealer interested in hiring a seasoned Lotus Sales Manager?;)
As much as i love and respect you, you are better off selling cheaper Mazdas or whatever. Its prbly easier to move 40 Mazdas than 1 Exige Club Racer or some 72 edition sh1t:D

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
As much as i love and respect you, you are better off selling cheaper Mazdas or whatever. Its prbly easier to move 40 Mazdas than 1 Exige Club Racer or some 72 edition sh1t:D

I tried my best to get him working for Honda/Acura...

he may be better off selling Mazda but WE are better off with him at Lotus:up:

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Problem is, I love Lotus and the people in the community and company. I always felt that with each sale I was not only "blessing" someone with something truly special but also making a direct impact and difference to all the people I know at the factory and at LCU. It was a very personal thing for me and one that I felt so passionately about that I lived 2 hours away from my family for a year and a half, perhaps sacrificing far too much in retrospective for that passion.

I love the Mazda product and chose it over BMW, VW and MB because I thought, especially in the current economic climate, it made more sense and was in overall better shape. Who couldn't love a Miata or a Speed3? That said, I miss Lotus very much and hope there is a place for me there in the future.

BTW, spent time last week with a preproduction 2009 6. It is an incredible value and a beautiful car in person (especially for the segment). Much more Lexus than Camary. And just wait till the final specs are released. It's going to shock people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts