The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pulled over this morning by an absolutely retarded police officer who accused me of failing to yield. The ticket is absolutely BS and there is a chance I might try to fight it in court, but I know how that turns out most of the time.

Assuming I don't fight it, there are 2 options I can take: 1. Take a driving safety course or 2. request deferred disposition.

I guess I'm a bit confused on these, though.

According to the description I am reading, if I take the driving course I would pay $112 (vs. $190 if I just paid the ticket), and enter a plea of guilty and upon passing the course the conviction would not appear on my record.

Compare this to the deferred disposition, which says that I would have to pay $215 (vs. $190), and I would be on probation for a period of 180 days. If I did not receive any additional violations during this time period then the conviction would not appear on my record.

So basically I could either pay $112 and it not appear on my record or $215 (which is MORE than the ticket itself) and it not appear on my record. Am I missing something here?

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
I'd think there would be some other cost with option #1. Not getting points usually costs more than just paying the ticket where I've been ticketed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd think there would be some other cost with option #1. Not getting points usually costs more than just paying the ticket where I've been ticketed.
Well you would obviously have to take the 6 hour driving class as well.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Well you would obviously have to take the 6 hour driving class as well.
Right, but does the class have a cost (other than time?). Like I said, the total cost of avoiding points, in dollars, is usually higher than paying the ticket and taking points. Of course that only applies to my experiences so YMMV.

I'm surprised there still isn't probation with the driving course, but looks like you've got the idea. Go to school and avoid points, or be a good boy for 6 months and avoid points.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can you stay out of trouble for 180 days? If you can, that seems the best option. A 6 hour course when THEY decide could be a real pain. I don't know how Texas does things, but in Massachusetts, between surcharges and insurance increases, a ticket over 6 years is about $900.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, but does the class have a cost (other than time?). Like I said, the total cost of avoiding points, in dollars, is usually higher than paying the ticket and taking points. Of course that only applies to my experiences so YMMV.

I'm surprised there still isn't probation with the driving course, but looks like you've got the idea. Go to school and avoid points, or be a good boy for 6 months and avoid points.
All it says is required is the $112 fee, a copy of my driver's license, a copy of my insurance card, a completed safety request form, and a completed safety request affidavit.

There isn't any mention of any other fees associated with it. I guess giving them a call to verify this is my best option, but assuming that is the case, it seems like taking the class is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you stay out of trouble for 180 days? If you can, that seems the best option. A 6 hour course when THEY decide could be a real pain. I don't know how Texas does things, but in Massachusetts, between surcharges and insurance increases, a ticket over 6 years is about $900.
In my 9 years of driving, this is only my second citation, with my first coming 8 years ago for driving 38 mph in a 35 zone. I'm hoping I can make it 180 days without getting another.rotfl

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Take it to court and hope the judge is fair?

I didn't have good luck with that though. Got pulled over when doing 65 in a 65, cop said I was doing 80+ :eek:

The first ticket I've had ever, been driving for almost 15 years. Got a copy of my record and showed the judge, but in the end he didn't care. Cop could have said I was sorting coke off a hookers ass while doing 80mph and the judge would have believed every word of it.

I would probably just fight it in court and if that doesn't help just pay. One ticket in 9 years of driving isn't going to make your insurance go up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take it to court and hope the judge is fair?

I didn't have good luck with that though. Got pulled over when doing 65 in a 65, cop said I was doing 80+ :eek:

The first ticket I've had ever, been driving for almost 15 years. Got a copy of my record and showed the judge, but in the end he didn't care. Cop could have said I was sorting coke off a hookers ass while doing 80mph and the judge would have believed every word of it.

I would probably just fight it in court and if that doesn't help just pay. One ticket in 9 years of driving isn't going to make your insurance go up.
That's the thing. What's the point in even trying to fight it? I have no evidence that I can bring to the table. I could take pictures of the offramp, where I was cut off, and where the cop was sitting, but I doubt that will do much good. Also, if I fight it, I give up my chance to take the class and save some $.

Just a really crappy situation.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
I prefer to keep my destiny in my own hands. the last ticket I got was BS too, but instead of trying to get the judge to take my word over a cops (and/or hoping insurance didn't raise my rates) I took the class and had no points added.

"The class" was outsourced to the local college by the state, thus for me there was the cost of the ticket, plus the cost of the class through the school. There was no mention of a cost for school on my ticket either, but I didn't assume it was free. They probably raise the cost often enough it would be problematic to issue new ticket pads to officers everytime the class price changed. If it IS free then certainly this is a no brainer if you hav ethe time.

From a risk perspective, it would make the most sense if the overall cost was the most with class since there is zero risk these points come back on your license. But this IS the gov't we're talking about.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My best advice is talk to a local attorney who knows the process and make sure everything works the way it was explained to you.

a 6 month DJS should be a cakewalk. But check.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Take the class and forget about it. Fighting it isn't worth the hassle. Plus you may have to pay court costs if you take that route~!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Take the class. Don't take it online. Take it in an actual classroom. One of those comedy club defensive driving where they feed you pizza. It'll be over much more quickly and you don't have to deal with the stupid technical issues that plague web sites.

Save the deferred for your second citation when defensive driving is no longer an option.

·
Registered
200 Posts
bpfergu hi from Ft. Worth. I currently have a ticket I'm dealing with in North Richland Hills.

The driver's safety course is a once a year option. no matter where you get pulled over. If you have taken the defensive driving course within a year (to dismiss a ticket i believe) you no longer have that option. Also there is a minimum that a driving safter course must cost according to the state. And it has to be a minimum of 6 hours long. If I do the class i just take the online one. most of the courses i've seen have been at least $60.

Differed disposition is probation. And it costs a bit more. and if you get pulled over again within that time period in the same city then you have both infractions on your record. however it's just for that city. At one point about 12 years ago i was on differed disposition for Westworth Village, Ft. Worth, and Hurst at the same time.

When given the option I go for differed dispositions and then avoid that city whenever possible until probation is over.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Check your insurance policy to see what impact on your rates points/convictions/guilty pleas will have, if any.

I'm up for renewal next month, and I just got the pre-invoice paperwork and policy info.

For the first time it includes a very detail list (about a page and a half) of how various traffic infractions/points/etc WILL impact rates.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
On a slightly different tangent, when I am driving in a different city (such as Tucson or Phoenix) I usually have my gopro camera recording. If no incident happens, then I erase the video. If I were to incorrectly get a ticket, I would politely accept the ticket. Later, I would disclose to the city a video exists, provide a copy to the city, and ask for a court date (and reprimand for the officer's official record). I would push for additional training for the officer who made the innocent error. The thing incompetent government workers fear the most is video of their actions. Their testimony has no value then.

·
Registered
841 Posts
On a slightly different tangent, when I am driving in a different city (such as Tucson or Phoenix) I usually have my gopro camera recording. If no incident happens, then I erase the video.
Same. My gopro is always recording. And if it is a legitimate stop (like the other night), I then have video I can watch to see what *I* did wrong and use it for training for myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts