The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...karting was a blast. Maybe too much fun. Yakpilot and I were having some fun driving back towards the city. Apparently I was a little too jacked up...like 3 blocks away from my garage on 130th & Lenox Ave I ALLEGEDLY passed a city bus without signaling. Got nailed by an unmarked car and written up for "Reckless Driving" Section 1212. He said it is no points but I don't even know what the fine is going to be yet because I am supposed to appear in person somewhere in NYC.

i don't really care about the fine, but i would prefer not to have this on my record for car insurance. Does anyone know a good traffic lawyer in NYC or should I go in and talk to them myself? feel free to chime in with a "nanner" if you want, i don't really care, but if anyone can offer some advice, TIA.

MSF111

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Hope your laws are different than Ohio. Reckless is 6 points, license suspension, and hefty fine. But worse is you go to high-risk insurance which is about triple your current rate. Best of luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i told ya!:no:
It just had to happen sooner or later.
no worries. happens to the best of us. Just PM'd you my lawyers number. Give him a call. He saved my license many times.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha thanks. its my first ticket in the car in the year that i've owned it. got pulled over one time but got off with a warning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yak is laughing at me because while we were going down the saw mill (i think thats where it was)... a cop came FLYING up with his lights on and yak was positive i was getting pulled over, he told me he had his camera all ready to take a pic of me getting pulled over. and 15 mins later, bam, ticket.

·
Registered
601 Posts
So it was NYPD unmarked? They have started to write more tickets especially in the outer boroughs - Northern Blvd in Queens and the BQE exit off the Grand Central past LGA heading west.

Another way they can generate revenue. As if the MTA, PANY/NJ hikes are not enough - just wait for congestion pricing...NYC getting less car friendly daily.

Good luck with your ticket.

MSF - I asked ED this...where do you wash your car?

·
Registered
740 Posts
So...karting was a blast. Maybe too much fun. Yakpilot and I were having some fun driving back towards the city. Apparently I was a little too jacked up...like 3 blocks away from my garage on 130th & Lenox Ave I ALLEGEDLY passed a city bus without signaling. Got nailed by an unmarked car and written up for "Reckless Driving" Section 1212. He said it is no points but I don't even know what the fine is going to be yet because I am supposed to appear in person somewhere in NYC.

i don't really care about the fine, but i would prefer not to have this on my record for car insurance. Does anyone know a good traffic lawyer in NYC or should I go in and talk to them myself? feel free to chime in with a "nanner" if you want, i don't really care, but if anyone can offer some advice, TIA.

MSF111
that sucks, so close to garage and then they pick you on something which happens thousands of times an hour in NYC.

Maybe they meant you have to go to court?
I didn't have my insurance papers with me when I had an accident in November, sent it afterwards to NY Ticket Agency somewhere in Albany and still I have to go to court for whatever reason.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i do have to go to court. i'm going to have yak's guy take care of it for me i think.

My dad lives up in CT, i go up there a lot of weekends so i just wash my car up there. haven't used a place in the city yet.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just noticed the cop filled in my personal info but none of the info about my car... license plate, state, registration info, etc.

Also, he didn't make me sign the ticket on the bottom, so that part is just blank.

Do you think any of that makes a difference or it doesn't really matter?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the "date of appearance" is blank. weird.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reckless Driving Sec 1212...1212. Reckless driving. Reckless driving shall mean driving or using any motor vehicle, motorcycle or any other vehicle propelled by any
power other than muscular power or any appliance or accessory thereof in
a manner which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper use of
the public highway, or unreasonably endangers users of the public
highway. Reckless driving is prohibited. Every person violating this
provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5 points in New York. I have a CT drivers license though.

From a lawyers website...."We usually see reckless driving charges where the defendant was also charged with a speeding ticket at a high speed." So usually it would be something like 11 points speeding 40+ over plus 5 extra points for reckless. I wonder if it is unusual for a reckless ticket to be issued by itself?

The cop said it was no points when he handed me the summons. WTF?

·
Registered
664 Posts
5 points in New York. I have a CT drivers license though.

From a lawyers website...."We usually see reckless driving charges where the defendant was also charged with a speeding ticket at a high speed." So usually it would be something like 11 points speeding 40+ over plus 5 extra points for reckless. I wonder if it is unusual for a reckless ticket to be issued by itself?

The cop said it was no points when he handed me the summons. WTF?
had similar stuff. Lawyer got it dismissed. He said they can only give you rd ticket as an addition to TWO or more moving violations.

·
Registered
440 Posts
go get the book "beating the ticket" from Barnes and Noble...check it out because it explains to you a whole lot about how the law actually works. I have tons of questions to ask you in regards to this situation that could help you out. Feel free to pm me your # so we can chat.

As for washing your car in NYC, I've had a few customers ask if I come to the city, but without water and an electrical outlet, it is tough. Try Optimum No Rinse when you don't have a hose around to use.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I would take this charge very seriously. It is a criminal offense as previously mentioned. If you go to court without a good lawyer and are found guilty you may have to tell every future employer who asks that you have a criminal record.

Get a good lawyer and get rid of that charge! Fines, points whatever are better then the beginnings of a rap sheet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts