1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
:(

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sincere wishes to those left behind. Such a shame that an event that epitomizes grassroots motorsports enthusiasm as much as the 24 Hours of Lemons will now have a gloomy cloud over it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
From eyewitness accounts it sounds like there is the possibility that the person may have had a medical issue leading up to the crash

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
From someone who attended (this was posted on a private mail list I belong to): "WRT LeMons, Jay [Lamm, the event organizer] announced this morning that the investigation yielded that the driver made no effort to slow the car or correct its course before it went into the wall. Lots of people inferred that he was either unconscious or had passed away when he hit the k wall. Jay chose to continue to do the LeMons race today. He cancelled the People's Curse award (demolish a car that the drivers vote to destroy). They're starting a fund for the deceased driver's family. The race winners and a few others who won cash are donating their prizes to that fund."

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was at the race this weekend, it was sad.

We spoke to J after the incident on Saturday night and I can tell you he was very shaken. The event had not had an incident such as this before. At that moment he was not sure if we should run, or ever run this event again. In the end he make the good choice, honor Cort the way Cort would have honored any of us, by racing again.

It was a very touching moment the next morning and there probably was not a dry eye at the drivers meeting.

When reviewing our in car tape and seeing where he hit the wall, it is not hard to speculate that there was a medial issue. There were no skid marks (thus indicating the brakes were not used) yet the brakes checked out to be fine and no attempt to turn (and the steering was found to be working correctly) would lead the speculation that there was a medical condition with the driver.

Last year I was at another race (Thunderhill) where the same thing happened and it was found the driver died of a heart attack prior to exiting the track.

After the incident my wife and I had a heart to heart about my wishes. She understands that it would be my wish for the races to continue under any and all circumstances if I was fortunate enought to die behind the wheel (as opposed to dying of cancer or being hit by a bus, etc). She knows that next to her and our daughter, racing is my greatest love, and I would leave it in her hands to ensure I was honored by the dropping of a green flag, not a red.

As we now begin preparing our car for the December race, we will be flying a sticker in memory of Cort, it will be blue/orange with the number 39 right in the center.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.

Rick

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow, that's terrible. what a nice story about how he and is wife met.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts