The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lotus Community -

I need a little help diagnosing something. In my garage, I noticed a small trail of liquid following the path I backed my Lotus out along and I can't figure out what it is.

Here are some clues:

1 - Liquid is clear and tasteless (yup, I tasted it)

2 - There isn't a "puddle" under the car and actually the car had been sitting parked for a day. The liquid appeared on the floor only when I moved the car. (Could be accumulated on the undertray but only dripping when moved?)

3 - It seems to be coming from along the passenger (right) side of the car, possibly near the rear wheel.

Car was running fine before I parked it on Friday and still is. I just noticed the "leak" when I pulled the car out to wash it. Engine temps were normal despite commuting home in hot (85 F) traffic.

I did happen to be running the A/C fairly hard on Friday before I got home, which I don't usually do. Is it possible this is just some A/C condensation? (I hope!) Weird though that it would still be there after being parked a whole day?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If it looks/feels like water under the front, my guess would most likely be AC condensation. I wouldn't taste it though!

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hopefully it is just some A/C condensation. But I think it's coming from the rear (where the A/C condenser is) not the front.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
344 Posts
I had the same 'discovery' on my garage floor when I backed pulled out. I had washed the car the night before. The liquid was gone when I got back in a few hours and it didn't leave an oil stain so I figured it was some water from the wash that had collected but not drained out.

I'd go with condensation from the AC as the answer, especially if you tasted it (brave dude!).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Probably just water from the condensor. mine also leaves a little on the floor every now and then. I see it when I reverse.

And dont worry, when i dont know what something is then I also feel it and if i cant decide then smell it and if that doesn't help then i taste it. Unless it is on the outside of the wheel, then I just threaten any nearby dog that I will pee on it and its bed if it comes near my car again.

Glycol is sweet to the taste
Water tastes like water
oil is easy to feel
the smell between gearbox oil and engine oil is very different, so easy to tell apart
Brake fluid is a slightly bitter funny taste

And no, I dont swallow any of these substances...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts