The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has received their Elise looked into the possibility of attaching a customized trailer hitch? (Randy?)

I'd like to be able to tow my tire trailer to autocross events.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Come on Randy, you have had the car for about a week!! Where is our trailer hitch design? Its not like you have been out driving, have you?

I cant wait to get a trailer hitch as well. It is gonna stink to have a chase vehicle or to buy a car trailer. Well, we could become trailer queen pre-Madonnas along with being in the COM.;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:
It is gonna stink to have a chase vehicle
No pun intended on chase vehicle, I assume? ;)

Count me in as highly interested in a trailer hitch if you can build something, Randy. I would probably buy one in a year.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Me too.

I talked to someone called George at Lotus Engineering, he told me that there is nothing but plastic aft of the engine mounts. Can a hitch be glued on??

Who is Randy?

I hate the idea of owning an SUV to tow a trailer. There has got to got to be a way to get my Hoosiers to an Autocross.

MAlcolm

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I am Randy. I have designed and worked on custom hitches and sold them for the 1990-1995 MR2 and the MR2 Spyder.

I think a custom hitch is doable for this car. It will not be easy or cheap and it will be very limited in what it can tow. You have to use the mounting points on the crossmember under the engine. George is right, nothing behind that can support towing.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I would be interested in a solution, only to pull a tiny little wheel trailer (loaded with HOOSIERS!!) :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I LOVE that trailer! Cheap and functional. Now, how do we add a hitch? I suppose we'll need to carry the rear diffuser on the trailer, as it will need to be removed to mount a contraption for the hitch.

Instead, how about a removable rack on the back of the Elise? It'll look ridiculous, but I don't really care about that. ???? I've seen them in pictures on, like, a Miata. So it CAN be done.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Surferjer said:

Instead, how about a removable rack on the back of the Elise? It'll look ridiculous, but I don't really care about that. ???? I've seen them in pictures on, like, a Miata. So it CAN be done.

Bad idea IMO on a car with the weight balance already so far skewed to the rear, and under 2000 pounds. And something still would have to support 150 pounds.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
One must keep in mind that the body on this car is made of very thin plastic and it is only for aesthetical purposes, i.e. it is non structural and can't support any weight. I think people have claimed the front clam weighs 22 lbs and the rear clam not much more than that.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I could throw on the hardtop and put them in a luggage carrier bag which would go on the roof. Not ideal, but it might get the job done. I would have to get pretty good and putting on/taking off the hard top. hmmmm

I don't think a chase vehicle is possible for me next year. A trailer to haul the Elise is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am no autox expert as you all know but why don't you mount the track wheels at home before driving to the event? The major wear on track tires should be from hard cornering/braking so highway commuting up to 50 or 70 miles to get to an event should be negligeable and as long as its not raining cats and dogs it should be ok for the most part. On second thought, I don't think it would be legal to drive on the street with track tires so just disregard my post :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The tires that most of us would be using actually are street legal. But they wear very quickly. Also, the wear might not even be the main issue at least for events that are close by. They also start loosing their grip after a certain number of heat cycles.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
For local events, I would change them at home since I don't live far away. Many events are not that close.

Downsides are possible problems due to a nail or pothole (Hoosiers are not good for the street). Also rain is bad when you are on slicks.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Like I said I'm no expert, I just want to go to the track or autox tp be able to toss the car around and not get a ticket while doing it so the stock tires are just perfect for me, for the real racers among you I can see the dilemma.

Changing subjects, did you guys watch fith gear last night? they had an unscientific test of men vs women drivers abilities. As always lots of fun to watch.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm just a wanna be, but I wanna be the best I can be! That means classes, coaching and seat time. And Hoosiers.

There's a solution there, I just know it! For now I'll use the AO48s which I CAN drive to the events on...:p

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yeah, be careful in the rain with race tires. Last sunday, I arraive at an autox to see a corvette with banged up front and rear. Apparently he gave it too much gas coming off the cloverleaf with race tires in the wet. I have to say I wasn't getting a lot of bite with the A032Rs either; couldn't get them up to temp.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I currently use this exact trailer (with 8" rims) for my miata. I put a plywood floor on it, and carry 4-225 section width tires without a problem. The tires are carried horizontally at the front of the trailer, in front of the fenders. I use 2' long 1" pipe to contain the tires - I could carry more tires if I want. I have a plastic box in the rear - for jack, tools, other stuff.

I looked at Surfer's car last week regarding mounting a trailer hitch - it will require at the least removing the rear grill above the diffuser to locate the structure (assuming sufficient pickup points could be found). I am reserving myself to either driving to events on tires or trailering.

Steve
'94 Miata (now ES)
'05 Elise ..........

·
Banned
338 Posts
I would love a trailer hitch to transport my mountain bikes

I have a bike rack that uses a trailer hitch, so it would be nice to be able to take the Elise mountain biking.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts