The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
From what I can see, the only design that would work, would not be able to handle much tongue weight. That would rule out a receiver based bike rack, unless you used some additional tethering point to take up the load.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
A guy at the last autoX had a tire rack on his se7en we deemed would go in the Elise. It was a contraption that looked like a giant 'I', and the top part of the 'I' was wide enough for two tires on each side. We actually slid the deal in my Elise, and it would work. The caveat is that I'd need to drill a hole dead center in the body work and roll bar on top on the inside of the car. And no top would be possible with it on the car. I'm decided I'm not into drilling holes in my car. :(

The Caterham looked pretty goofy going down the road with this rack of tires hanging out of the top, but it was effective.

I still think I'll wind up buying a trailer and hauling Liz to meets with Hoosiers on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Surferjer said:
I still think I'll wind up buying a trailer and hauling Liz to meets with Hoosiers on.
Or, find a co-driver who will tote the tires/jack/tools to the events for you ;) And if you're doing CenDiv events, I can't imagine who might volunteer for that exercise :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Pardon me, but what's CenDiv? :confused:

I have a friend in the area who also races, but i can't count on us both going to the same events, so that's out. I have the feeling that once I get on the Hoosiers, I'll be woefully disappointed in the AO48s at events. I'll need a reliable way to get Liz with Hoosiers to meets.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
West Chester is about 40 miles NW of Philadelphia, mostly west. Where is Susan from??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Susan's in Pittsburgh - there was a picture of her racing in her C Prepared Mustang elsewhere in this forum :)

ah, here it is...

I think she's something like 7 or 8-time National Champion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm getting my Elise next week and still have not solved the tire transport problem. Has anyone made any progress with the trailer hitch??

Malcolm

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No luck, Malc. Plus any hitch would mean cutting the diffuser I'm sure. That would take you out of SS for SCCA purposes. I'm still looking for a trailer.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
As soon as someone finds a place to put a trailer hitch please let me know as I think it needs a stern tow eye as well.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Surferjer said:
No luck, Malc. Plus any hitch would mean cutting the diffuser I'm sure.
I disagree.

I might look at this later in the spring. I have more important things on the list to do here now. But I did look at the car and I think I can see how to make a removable hitch without modifying anything.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What if you just removed the diffusor for towing, and reattached at the destination. I don't know how much work it is to remove and attach but if you brought some plank ramps maybe that help in the reinstallation

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You don't need ramps, the hassle is in carrying the diffuser, though I guess you can find somewhere on the trailer to put it.

You can attach the diffuser in 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Randy Chase said:
... the hassle is in carrying the diffuser, though I guess you can find somewhere on the trailer to put it...
How about a 'flip up' diffuser? Sort of like a James Bond license plate but the whole diffuser. Could get fancy with a linear actuator or just go with a lockable arm(s) to hold it up or wing nuts, who knows...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Found my trailer! I pick it up tomorrow. It even has this handy hydraulic tilt so I won't ruin my front clam offloading...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I gotta pay to store the trailer. $40/month-seems steep. I'll keep looking. My wife, while supportive, doesn't want the trailer or Snuffy's carcass at our house. I can't understand why. I told here there's a perfectly good spot in our front yard for them, and even offered to get a car cover. :mad:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Surferjer said:
My wife, while supportive, doesn't want the trailer or Snuffy's carcass at our house. I can't understand why. I told here there's a perfectly good spot in our front yard for them, and even offered to get a car cover. :mad:
There is some "art" on people's lawns around here that's a lot worse! :D

21 - 40 of 84 Posts