The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to do a roadtrip and wanted to trailer my Lotus behind my Range Rover. I've never done this before and was wondering if you have a trailer do you have to drive below a certain speed?

Also, is there anyone in the bay are with a race trailer I can borrow for a week? I can compensate a bit. I'm planning on leaving this weekend or it will have to wait till the 2nd week of August.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I'm planning to do a roadtrip and wanted to trailer my Lotus behind my Range Rover. I've never done this before and was wondering if you have a trailer do you have to drive below a certain speed?

Also, is there anyone in the bay are with a race trailer I can borrow for a week? I can compensate a bit. I'm planning on leaving this weekend or it will have to wait till the 2nd week of August.

Thanks.
yes. the speed limit.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
In California, there is a 55mph speed limit for trailers and fines for speeding are doubled.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I...I've never done this before and was wondering if you have a trailer do you have to drive below a certain speed?
55 MPH is the max allowed in California when pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
ANd, if you didn't get it the first two times it's 55

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There is an extra hassle factor.

Gas mileage is a factor, as well as pulling into gas stations, parking at hotels, backing up a trailer. Making sure the car is well positioned on the trailer so there is proper tongue weight. Care and feeding of the trailer tires. Brakes for the trailer and the controller for it. Front clam clearance on the trailer. Door clearance on the trailer so you can get out.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
There is an extra hassle factor.

Gas mileage is a factor, as well as pulling into gas stations, parking at hotels, backing up a trailer. Making sure the car is well positioned on the trailer so there is proper tongue weight. Care and feeding of the trailer tires. Brakes for the trailer and the controller for it. Front clam clearance on the trailer. Door clearance on the trailer so you can get out.
What Randy is trying to say is that you are girl and...;)

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I was curious about speed is if I will have the patience to drive so slow where I'm going. I usually drive well above that speed on this route (about 2xs faster) so I don't know if I can do it. Maybe I'll just hire a company to truck it back and forth for me. I'm not interested in borrowing a trailer anymore. Good points about the convenience/hassle of it. Thanks guys.

And yes Patricko... I should get a man in my life simply for the purpose of hauling my Lotus around for me. :p

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
2006 Noble M400. 500 pounds of torque, 500+whp. Getrag tranny, Quaiffe LSD, Duratec dual turbo V6. Hoosier 315-18 tires. 2350 pounds. 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds. Hinged clams. This is the Elise turned up to ELEVEN.
[Thread drift]

I noticed an error in your sig:wave:

I think this is the Elise turned up 2-Eleven...:nanner2:

[End Thread drift]

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If you've never towed before, start slowly and leave a lot of extra room to come to a stop. Also, be extremely careful that you don't exceed the towing capacity of the Rover. I towed with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was a scary, nerve-racking experience. If your Rover is rated to say 6000 pounds of towing, do not exceed 4000. Even then you will be pushing it. A really lightweight trailer is probably the key. 2200 pounds of Lotus and tires means an 1800 pound trailer, tops.

And as said earlier, get the Elise weight on it correctly. That might involve putting the car on backwards. If you get too much on the tongue (car too far forward), the front of your Rover will feel really scary light, like it's being lifted up (it is). If the car is too far back, it's much much worse. You will get trailer wag which at speed can be deadly. I would be prepared to stop and move the car on the trailer after you get started. Oh, yeah-you have to tie the Elise down by it's wheels. If you tie down to something else you could really damage the car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
PLEASE HAVE SOME ONE HELP YOU LOAD THE ELISE AND TEACH YOU HOW TO DRIVE WITH A TRAILER FIRST! Not because your a woman either, Id give that advise to anyone. Not saying you cant do it, just be safe and cautious. You need to know where to strap the car down, have enough straps, hook up the trailer properly, have the correct wire harness from your truck to the trailer, Learn how to back up, Learn how to drive with your mirrors, swing wide when making tight turns, make sure you have enough distance to brake, if its an enclosed trailer watch your height in gas stations, etc.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Agree with Rick. Pulling a trailer is somewhat of an art and is scary if you're new to it. I invested a lot of money in safety for my 24 footer, and it was money well spent. In addition to the electric brakes and controller (you will need to dial that in), if you can add a weight-distributing hitch and an anti-sway bar you will be much happier and at ease.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I'm not interested in borrowing a trailer anymore. Good points about the convenience/hassle of it. Thanks guys.
It looks like you guys talked her out of it.

And yes Patricko... I should get a man in my life simply for the purpose of hauling my Lotus around for me. :p
How can you be sure that the one you get knows what he is doing? rotfl

Hopefully he would be good for more than that...:nanner2:

Seriously though, I think you would want to have a person with you that had trailer experience if you had not done it before.

Have fun:shift:

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The reason I was curious about speed is if I will have the patience to drive so slow where I'm going. I usually drive well above that speed on this route (about 2xs faster) so I don't know if I can do it. Maybe I'll just hire a company to truck it back and forth for me. I'm not interested in borrowing a trailer anymore. Good points about the convenience/hassle of it. Thanks guys.

lol if you need a guy to drive your lotus around I am sure there are many people here who would oblige... myself included(unfortunately not that good of a swimmer)

nice one patricko... that is an elise turned 2-11 rotfl

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I should get a man in my life simply for the purpose of hauling my Lotus around for me. :p
Now there are probably a hundred lurkers viewing this thread thinking, "Damn, I just KNEW I should have bought that trailer I was eyeballing last year. Whoever would have thought a trailer would be a chick-magnet!"

xtn

·
Registered
386 Posts
Depending on where you're going (and whether you NEED an enclosed trailer), you might try these guys:

California Trailer Rentals
phone: (408) 348-6225
email: [email protected]

You'll need a trailer brake controller installed on your land rover to control the electric brakes on that trailer.

Otherwise - try U-Haul - they rent an open trailer for far less than the price of the enclosed trailer, and since they use hydraulic brakes, I don't believe you need the brake controller on the land rover.

[edit] - you're not interested in borrowing a trailer anymore. Good. It's usually more hassle than it's worth, unless your car isn't street legal or there's a crapload of stuff you need for the track that won't fit in your car. :)

Cheers,
Darryl

·
Vendor
3,271 Posts
Now there are probably a hundred lurkers viewing this thread thinking, "Damn, I just KNEW I should have bought that trailer I was eyeballing last year. Whoever would have thought a trailer would be a chick-magnet!"

xtn
Barking up the wrong tree in this particular case....

Brake controller is a must. if you are using an open trailer anti-sway & load distribution is not necessary. If it is enclosed it is a MUST. I like 12%-15% of total weight as tongue weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts