The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 08 Elise SC. I'm taking it to British Invasion in Vermont in September and I want to trailer it. I have a tow vehicle ( 2008 Silverado) but no trailer. Anyone have experience with a UHaul car trailer? Any other recommendations? The car is pristine and I don't want to hurt it. Thanks

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
The thread RBH posted and also the UHaul website has very detailed instructions for low cars. The give you the lengths of boards you need with you. I found the trailer swayed a little over 80 mph when pulled with my Sequoia. Other that that, it was like a rock.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
The u-haul ones are well built but often poorly maintained. You can also reduce the beaching tendencies while loading by jacking up the hitch with your truck attached to flatten out the angle between the ramp and the trailer.

:)
BT

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
The eight times I've towed up to Colorado, Uhaul has always pulled through and given me a trailer on time. I think their rates are still too steep, but considering Penske and others won't let you rent a trailer without also renting their trucks, I can't complain.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I will definitely reserve a day early. I already have the wood to extend the ramps as my garage has a pretty deep front lip. Alternative approach is to back it on?!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Thanks everyone. I will definitely reserve a day early. I already have the wood to extend the ramps as my garage has a pretty deep front lip. Alternative approach is to back it on?!
Also you should get a few blocks for the front. I don't recall the length measurement but I used 2 X 12 . Se below.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I've towed over 800 miles on a dolly with no problems.

You must have been soooo careful! I would almost certainly have removed the chin on that car going through a dip. That pic makes it look like dropping the Elise front wheels off a 2" lip would bang the clam on the ground.

By the way, I have never seen that style of dolly. How do you get it under the car? It does not look drive-on.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
What, no comments about the 4 cylinder 5 speed Ranger I'm pulling it with?
Not really, except that I had a 4 cylinder Ranger for a while. That thing had a hard time hauling itself up even a moderate hill. You really got to enjoy rowing through a lot of gears to keep it moving. Very solid little truck though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts