The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edited all the crap out to just get to the point...

Training hard for football season. Need some dietary advice.

What can I eat to ensure I have a lot of energy and will build muscle? Energy is really the key result I need...

The dietary supplements I am buying are as follows:

- Creatine powder

- Glutamine tablets

- Protein powder

- Vitamin C tablets

Thanks.. :)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Glutamine, multi vitamen, flax and fish oil for Omega 3's. Protein. Try to get less from supplements and more from diet. Good ol milk makes a great "supplement" and you can a lot of extra calories a day from it. Carbs like oatmeal, applesauce, and fruit in the morning and pre-workout for energy but cut back on them in the day. Food, food, food. Good clean food high in protein for the muscle building. At your age your body is still making a ton of test and you are a mesomorph so you should be able to pack on muscle easy as long as you fuel you body after hard workouts. And I don't know what your stance on pinning is but maybe LR IGF-1. It is not illegal, is not a steroid, and won't mess with your HPTA, make you grow b!tch t!ts, hair loss, acne, ball shrinkage, liver damage, etc. (although in too large of doses it will make your intestines grow) i don't think it will give you energy but from everything I've read it gives you a voracious appetite, trims fat, and actually initiates hyperplasia whereas roids produce no new muscle fibers, just increase the size of existing muscle cells mostly through water retention. LR3 IGF-1 is without a doubt the most extensively used "supplement" among professional athletes. It's not tested for as it is not illegal. I just couldn't bring myself to start sticking pins in myself, even if is only a slin pin. And I don't think I'd trust Oratropin (oral version) to not grow my intestines. And don't do any orals. They can really wreak havoc on your liver. Even the legal methylated compounds (all the 'drols) can really take their toll, and you still have to do a SERM and a bunch of other crap to lose the gains you just risked your liver for. (which are also liver toxic) Just not worth the risk. My friend started $hitting blood on his 3rd day of taking Superdrol which he got at GNC!!!

Basically lift heavy and eat till you can't no more as often as you can. Work the lower body the heaviest so that your body will increase test production and convert all that protein to mass.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Glutamine, multi vitamen, flax and fish oil for Omega 3's. Protein. Try to get less from supplements and more from diet. Good ol milk makes a great "supplement" and you can a lot of extra calories a day from it. Carbs like oatmeal, applesauce, and fruit in the morning and pre-workout for energy but cut back on them in the day. Food, food, food. Good clean food high in protein for the muscle building. At your age your body is still making a ton of test and you are a mesomorph so you should be able to pack on muscle easy as long as you fuel you body after hard workouts. And I don't know what your stance on pinning is but maybe LR IGF-1. It is not illegal, is not a steroid, and won't mess with your HPTA, make you grow b!tch t!ts, hair loss, acne, ball shrinkage, liver damage, etc. (although in too large of doses it will make your intestines grow) i don't think it will give you energy but from everything I've read it gives you a voracious appetite, trims fat, and actually initiates hyperplasia whereas roids produce no new muscle fibers, just increase the size of existing muscle cells mostly through water retention. LR3 IGF-1 is without a doubt the most extensively used "supplement" among professional athletes. It's not tested for as it is not illegal. I just couldn't bring myself to start sticking pins in myself, even if is only a slin pin. And I don't think I'd trust Oratropin (oral version) to not grow my intestines. And don't do any orals. They can really wreak havoc on your liver. Even the legal methylated compounds (all the 'drols) can really take their toll, and you still have to do a SERM and a bunch of other crap to lose the gains you just risked your liver for. (which are also liver toxic) Just not worth the risk. My friend started $hitting blood on his 3rd day of taking Superdrol which he got at GNC!!!

Basically lift heavy and eat till you can't no more as often as you can. Work the lower body the heaviest so that your body will increase test production and convert all that protein to mass.
Ummm, I was going to tell him to google NFL dietary program because I know I read something about it within the past few months but instead I'll just say

"do what he said".

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Really, really good advice from Keith.

I bodybuilt from 2004 to 2006, and I put on 83 pounds of lean muscle in a year and a half (went from 145lbs @ 12% bodyfat to 215lbs @ 2% bodyfat). If that doesn't impress you, go to the grocery store, pick up 83 pounds of beef, and imagine distributing that over your body. I used the Max-OT program and followed it to a T. I was taking in roughly 5,000 calories and day and spending 50 minutes in the gym 5 days a week.

AST is an amazing company. A group of scientists and bodybuilders started the company, because they were sick and tired of all the sh!t supplements being offered around the world. They constantly prove their supplements to far out perform all the big names such as MuscleTech, Champion, Cytodyne/sport, ISS, etc. In fact, they are the only supplement-making company in the world that uses independent laboratories for their testing. Every single one of the other companies have their own, privately-owned labs doing the testing. I will go to bat for these guys against any other muscle-building company out there.

The biggest difference between what AST teaches and the advice Keith gave you is the issue of food. It's the age old debate of where food or supplementation is the better way to go. I tried both ways through my bodybuilding stint, and when I was taking all MuscleTech products, I had more muscle growth with 70% food, 30% supplement. But when I switched to AST, I had WAY MORE muscle growth with 70% supplementation, 30% actual food. Again, most supplements are sh!t. Give AST a look... their lifting, cardio, and dietary programs are second to none.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot everyone!!! Great advice!!!

Right now I am very out of shape; I gained around 15 lbs and I am hanging around 270-275. I need to burn all this fat off and build muscle, so I am not sure exactly how much to be eating, but I want to be around 240 since I expect the weight loss will move me from defensive tackle to defensive end or linebacker.

With that in mind, should I really be eating everything that I can? Shouldn't I cut down consumption? I am not a skinny mofo trying to pack on some muscle :p Have lots of excess energy to burn.

Currently my workout program consists heavy weight lifting for about an hour, and then at least 30 minutes of cardio.

- Should I have protein after my workout?

- Should I work out seven days a week or take a break for a couple days? I don't want to exhaust my body but I don't want to slack off.

I will gladly check out AST and the NFL dietary program as well. I am also visiting a nutritionist, but I don't really trust them :p

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Right now I am very out of shape; I gained around 15 lbs and I am hanging around 270-275. I need to burn all this fat off and build muscle, so I am not sure exactly how much to be eating, but I want to be around 240 since I expect the weight loss will move me from defensive tackle to defensive end or linebacker.

With that in mind, should I really be eating everything that I can? Shouldn't I cut down consumption? I am not a skinny mofo trying to pack on some muscle :p Have lots of excess energy to burn.

Currently my workout program consists heavy weight lifting for about an hour, and then at least 30 minutes of cardio.

- Should I work out seven days a week or take a break for a couple days? I don't want to exhaust my body but I don't want to slack off.

I will gladly check out AST and the NFL dietary program as well. I am also visiting a nutritionist, but I don't really trust them :p
Go to AST's site. You'll easily find solid, indepth answer to each of your questions. Use the search function and nutritional calculators.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have been hitting the weights for the last few months, trying to read all I can. I tend to be a thin hard-gainer. There is a great video of Ronnie Coleman on Youtube discussing his diet. He eats grits/oatmeal, chicken, chicken, more chicken, steak and turkey, supplemented with protein shakes, all in a single day. I can't consume that much, but I have tried to do a similar diet. I also add packets of meat, tablespoons of peanut butter, and instant breakfast drinks (none too expensive) throughout the day. Curiously, I didn't really crave protein until I started lifting.

As for your weight training, use HEAVY weights, and do explosive starts. One website I read said to do 8 sets of 3 rep (with heavy weight), rather than the traditional 3 sets of 8 reps (with moderate weight). I have had much bigger gains using this diet and weight program than before.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have been hitting the weights for the last few months, trying to read all I can. I tend to be a thin hard-gainer. There is a great video of Ronnie Coleman on Youtube discussing his diet. He eats grits/oatmeal, chicken, chicken, more chicken, steak and turkey, supplemented with protein shakes, all in a single day. I can't consume that much, but I have tried to do a similar diet. I also add packets of meat, tablespoons of peanut butter, and instant breakfast drinks (none too expensive) throughout the day. Curiously, I didn't really crave protein until I started lifting.

As for your weight training, use HEAVY weights, and do explosive starts. One website I read said to do 8 sets of 3 rep (with heavy weight), rather than the traditional 3 sets of 8 reps (with moderate weight). I have had much bigger gains using this diet and weight program than before.
Ronnie Coleman is a huge guy, but also admits to using steroids. However, it's great advice to use heavy weights with explosive starts. Again, check out AST for needle-free inspiration and advice. Replace your instant breakfast with NytroPro40 and check out Jeff Willet's different routines here.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I can't speak on the building muscle part....

My background is long distance running so I can speak on
a cardiovascular level.

I think working on this aspect could only help you in your pursuits
as football player. Some old fashion running for 20 or 30 min a day
could really put you ahead of a lot of other players I think! It will give
you the "energy" that you're looking for.

Make sure you put effort into RECOVERY after
every difficult workout. Make sure you drink something
such as Cytomax (what I would recommend) or even just Gatorade
no later than 30min after a tough workout, 16oz at least.
Also eating a powerbar or something similar, with a lot of protein,
within 30 minutes is important too. This can and will
make a difference in recovery for you. It will help you feel better faster
and carry you into future workouts.

I haven't read it myself, but I've been told by some of my distance runners
that the book "Food for Fitness" by Chris Carmichael is very good. He is or was a nutritionist for Lance Armstrong. You might be able to get some good information from it.

Good Luck to you.
I'll leave the muscle building info to these other guys.
They seem to know quite a bit about it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

I'm betting I'm probably the only one here with an applicable 4 year degree in this. Most people regurgitate gym lore and perpetuate myths.

Honestly? What's with the protein after a workout myth? Protein consumption post workout hinders protein synthesis by as much as 80%. (It's far, far more beneficial to consume your protein preworkout.

As to your other question, don't do seven, but how often you workout depends on a lot of factors. How trained you currently are, how intensely you work out, what your diet looks like, the volume of exercise you're doing, etc.

Nutritionists are crap. Plain and simple. You can call yourself a nutritionist right now. They have no sort of credential or governing body. Registered dieticians are a different story, but they're better at keeping you alive rather than increasing fitness.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
That's actually reversed if you're aiming to gain size (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).

There are two types of muscle hypertrophy, myofibrilar and sarcoplasmic. The former being hypertrophy of the actual muscle fiber and increased muscle fiber density. This is achieved through extremely high loads (90-100% 1RM) and leads to an increase in strength. It's why you can see a 130 lb man in the olympics clean and jerk 320 pounds over his head.

The latter, sarcoplasmic, is hypertrophy of the (you guessed it) sarcoplasm. This is achieved through higher reps and results in a larger looking muscle (bodybuilders have a LOT of this sort of hypertrophy) due to the increased need for bloodflow, glycogen, etc. etc.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Since I imagine your goal is to trim some fat without losing any lean mass, and probably still increasing lean mass if possible it will be important with your body type to stay away from junk carbs (refined sugars and starches) but do not eliminate carbs all together as they are your energy source. Just keep them earlier in the day. And increase your clean lean protein intake. (you may want to look into hemp protein- it's very nutritional, low cal, easily digested...) It is amazing how much you can eat when you are eating clean. I have a hard time getting enough calories without using a protein shake. For breakfast you can have a huge bowl of oatmeal (add flax, blueberry flax, honey or fruit for flavoring if you need it but not sugar). You will only be at 300 calories or so and not be hungry till lunch. Eggs are only 70 calories each and very nutritious and good protein source. Ditto for cottage cheese, yogurt....
Chicken, tuna, turkey, and salmon will be your new friends for lunch and dinner. Again any of them plain are high in protein, low in bad fat, and low calorie. Don't leave out the vegetables but do leave out the butter. Bread is not bad, as long as it's whole grain. Read the first ingredient, it should not start with the word bleached or enriched. Remember the nutrition is just as if not more important than the time in the weight room. Without it nothing will happen. I was just reading from a great book called "Don't eat foods that don't rot" or something like that. It brought out a lot of very excellent points about whole foods vs most of the refined edible foodlike products that the majority of people are eating now. And keep a close eye on what you are drinking. I know college and beer go together hand and hand but so does the freshman 15. Wipe out soda all together. It is evil. (google- "what happens to your body when you drink a coke for your motivation to quit). It is easy to consume and extra 1000 calories a day through liquid and not even realize it, and the body processes liquid calories very efficiently. The artificial sweeteners in diet sodas is nasty nasty stuff for you. Sports drinks like gatorade and stuff aren't really needed at anything other than a professional endurance athlete level (and a banana and large glass of water is a better substitute than all that high fructose corn syrup anyway). Basically try to drink water, 100% fruit juice (which is less than 5% of the bottles in the aisle and you will still want to limit them), or milk. You have to learn to read labels. If it says High fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated, etc don't even put it in the cart. Unfortunately with the government subsidizing corn production almost all products are sweetened with HFCS now and it's getting someone rare to even see cane sugar being used anymore. Water has none of this in it. lol.

Pre and post workout nutrition are very important. Forget about all the hype of Dat Dere Cell Tech, NOS, and every other over hyped muscletech product. Eat a small amount of oatmeal and or applesauce, rice, etc pre-workout for energy and get a source of lean protein shortly after your workout. Great time for a protein shake if you are using them or some hemp protein in a glass of milk, some natural peanut butter, etc. Get the nutrition in order and don't let your peers convince you take the easy way out with pills and thermogenics. Think lifestyle change, and long term health over the quick fix that goes away when it's not there. (and costs a fortune that you could you be spending on good food when it is)

Leave the muscle mags on the shelf. 150 pages with 3 pages of a mailed in recycled article and 147 pages of roided out freaks hyping supplements that didn't build that body they are showing. Arnold's "The new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding" is a fantastic source of knowledge and is actually full of educational content and great motivation (just realize those there isn't a pic in there that isn't a result of the old time smorgasboard of Test, deca, winny, and dbol that all those guys used- and was not illegal at the time) rather than product hype. The Iron Minds catalog is also pretty cool for a great variety of strength training equipment geared towards power lifters. (I still can't rep my 200 lb hand gripper though even though my 150 lb one is childs play now)

Do not work out 7 days. Overtraining is as bad as undertraining. Your body needs to rest and heal. The growth happens when you resting. Think quality over quantity. Getting enough sleep and diet are extremely important. But definitely have cardio in your program to trim the fat. If you can do it first thing in the morning is supposed to be very effective. Do a little longer period at slightly reduced intensity for the most efficient fat burning. Better to do 45 min-1 hour on a treadmill at a slightly lower heart rate than 30 mins at max heart rate. A heart rate monitor is a good investment to keep you in the right zone for the most effective cardio workout.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Be careful with creatine, I admitted a MMA fighter to the hospital with acute renal failure potentiated by creatine and intentional dehydration (to make weight). Stay well-hydrated if you're going to use it. Stay clean and remember you're going to be an old fart some day so do some cardio too...
good luck.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Be careful with creatine, I admitted a MMA fighter to the hospital with acute renal failure potentiated by creatine and intentional dehydration (to make weight). Stay well-hydrated if you're going to use it. Stay clean and remember you're going to be an old fart some day so do some cardio too...
good luck.
yah dont cut weight when your are on a creatine cycle ... bad news :no:

i'd also suggest to focus a lot on your cardio. especially with the more lbs youll be gaining you are gonna want to be able to move it around with sustained speed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts