The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished changing oil and filter, new brake pads and fluids, getting ready for CHIN next weekend at Road Atlanta.

She's always been really clean inside when I removed the access panel. Not this time. A bit of a mess, thick dark dark green :(

Seems to be originating on left side around the trans.

Looking over half shaft from rear

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Pipe

Base of trans viewed from forward

Water Auto part Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle

Trail of muck under diffuser

Auto part Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Automotive wheel system

So, I'd say the trans has blown a seal. Had been getting worse to shift last couple of events, missing 3rd more and more frequently.

Any experience/ confirmation of diagnosis/ other ideas out there?

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Are you sure your CV joint rubber boot isn't spinning off the CV grease instead?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I thought of that. It does look more like CV grease. I rotated the transaxle and felt around the boot but could not locate a tear. I'll look again.

We are reaching the limits of my knowledge and comfort level for repair. Am registered for CHIN at Road Atlanta next weekend. I'd think this would cause a change of plans?

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
The heavy linear strip of grease, on the CV side of the transmission, with just the small puddling/wicking at the bottom of the opposite side is a strong indication of CV leakage. The test: Wipe the transmission off, put some duct tape over the area which previously had grease. Drive the car. If the grease bubbles up Under the duct tape, then it is a transmission leak. If grease spatters on the silver side of the duct tape, then it is CV. Even a pin hole (which may be too small to find) in the CV boot can cause this. It may only get grease thrown out when the wheels are going at a high RPM.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yup, agreed, looks like the flinging spray a CV will throw. Sometimes the boot if fine, but the torque on the bolts is loose, letting some escape at the joint. Final test is to smell it; tranny fluid has a "distinct" aroma!

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking it is a CV leak. I've inspected it the best I can with jackstands and a flashlight but can't find any tear. But there is essentially a circular "stripe" of grease in every direction perpendicular to the axle. Can see it at top and botttom of picture.

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Coil spring Automotive wheel system

There is also maybe 5mm of inward-outward play where the joint meets the trans. Not sure if that's normal

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better pic rearward

Auto part Wheel Metal

·
Registered
327 Posts
My car had remnants of a similar mess on the side of the gearbox when I did an oil change recently. I went back to the service notes to find that a CV had been rebuilt when the previous owner had the car.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This one shows it even better, Top of pic towards front of car. Short of a "S hits the fan" scenario.

Auto part Gear Transmission part Coil spring Wheel

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Bob in my opinion the boot looks like its slinging. The streaks on the last picture give it away, you may have a pinhole in the boot. CV grease is way thicker than gear lube and smells different. You cant miss the smell of hypoid oil, it is stank. CV grease is just messy. Gear lube will drip and run and I don't see any of that. You may have a pinhole but cant tell if the leak is inline with the clamps. Seepage at the clamps is common. My FJ cruiser did it for 7 years.

If it was me, clean up what you can, and go. Its just a one day track day. It does not look like you have slung that much grease and have plenty left. You will have a bit of a mess afterwards and have to replace that boot or re clamp it but CV's can go a lot longer without lube than you think and they never sling every inch of grease out, there is always a coating. Not so critical if the axle is not at much of an angle. I have run my VW with 911 CV's dry and the axles are at 21 degrees.

Get some rubber gloves, wipe down what you can. Then hit the area with electrical parts cleaner (not brake or engine cleaner) and wipe again. You will smoke a bit if its hitting exhaust parts as it cooks off at the track.

Not going to make RA for the Chin one days. Just not worth my time and taking a Friday off. Plan on doing all after those and all Barber days too. Leave is in and approved. Will be at RA next weekend racing Chumpcar and doing Sebring later in Mar. Hope to see you this year.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
I think Bob has fixed his issue, that post was from 2013.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
It was late...........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.