The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
3,271 Posts
Super easy to replace. It is a spring detent ball for reverse. There should be a spring on the other side of the dent so it likely isn't a factor. To check, just pull it out and verify full range of motion of the ball and make sure it still goes into reverse OK. If so, I would leave it. Otherwise replace as you see fit.

<Shameless Plug> Remember, Blackwatch Racing does performance transmission rebuilds. We've done gearboxes for World Challenge cars, autox cars, weekend track toys, and canyon carvers. We use all Toyota Parts, We magnaflux all gears and hubs, and know all the little tricks to build these as strong as possible. If you need a stronger 3/4, our full BWR gearset, or just a taller 6th or LSD, drop us an email at [email protected].

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your help! Just to clarify, the dome on the left is the reverse spring and what is the smushed cap on the righ? Or am I getting it backwards?
Also I bought this trans from a forum member because it has the blackwatch gear set in it :)

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Thank you so much for your help! Just to clarify, the dome on the left is the reverse spring and what is the smushed cap on the righ? Or am I getting it backwards?
Also I bought this trans from a forum member because it has the blackwatch gear set in it :)
Correct. The large piece on the left has the spring and ball for the reverse. The part on the right is just a vent. Unscrew the part on the left and you will find a ball that is spring loaded. Make sure that it can go in and out because, as Fred said, this is the detent for reverse.

Also, you will love the BWR gearset. I would also suggest going to the 225/40x17 profile instead of the 225/45x17. The drop in tire circumference improves the acceleration of the car.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. The large piece on the left has the spring and ball for the reverse. The part on the right is just a vent. Unscrew the part on the left and you will find a ball that is spring loaded. Make sure that it can go in and out because, as Fred said, this is the detent for reverse.

Also, you will love the BWR gearset. I would also suggest going to the 225/40x17 profile instead of the 225/45x17. The drop in tire circumference improves the acceleration of the car.

Later,
Eldon
Thank you for your insight! Very helpful!!!
I have been running 245/45x17 in the back for the street but I have set of 16 inch hoosiers and the difference with regular gearing is quite noticeable. I also run rev 400 so that helps a bit ;)

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
Thank you for your insight! Very helpful!!!
I have been running 245/45x17 in the back for the street but I have set of 16 inch hoosiers and the difference with regular gearing is quite noticeable. I also run rev 400 so that helps a bit ;)
You lucky man to have the REV 400!

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Hi, I just autox the car and have fun on the back roads.
You are going to like 2nd gear because it gives you a little more MPH. If you go back and look at the thread the Fred started about his gearset, you will find an excel table that shows MPH & RPM for the gears. If you want the actual spreadsheet, drop me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.
Later,
Eldon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts