The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing most of us here have had some very special transcending moments in our cars and that's partly why we're on this board. Here's mine. Feel free to share yours:

After more than a year of brilliant psychological gamesmanship my 20 year old son Robert, then a junior in college, had scored his victory. He had coerced me to fall in love with - and then purchase - a beautiful 2005 Bordeaux Red Lotus Elise. Our dream car. And when the car arrived in March of 2009 amid banks of melting snow along the roadsides I could not wait to begin the Lotus journey.

The only problem was that purchase meant we soon had to sell our other baby; an immaculately modified 1991 white Mazda Miata. With that car we literally learned how to wrench for the first time, improving the wheels and suspension, and finally adding a supercharger kit that miraculously worked the first time we turned the ignition key. We had bloodied our knuckles while making memories, and that car was truly special. Finding only bottom dwelling tire kickers in classified ads we decided to showcase the gleaming Miata for sale at The Hawk road race event at Road America, just 3 hours from our home in Central Wisconsin.

We took turns trading the two cars on the way to the track, although Robert got stuck with the Miata for most of the trip. Switching back and forth I was struck by how much tighter the Lotus was, without a hint of the body roll of the MX-5. Upon our arrival at a busy track viewing area we parked our cars side-by-side with the hood up on the Miata and a big For Sale sign on the windshield. Immediately both cars drew an appreciative crowd, but we soon decided to walk away and watch the races.

Within ten minutes my cell phone rang and a nice guy identifying himself as a Miataphile told me he was really serious about the car, so we turned in our steps to meet the man. He asked for a test drive which I was glad to provide and he quickly told me that he thought it was a special car; a good value, and that he would not even haggle the price save for one request... He wanted me to give his girlfriend a ride in the Lotus! With that the deal and down payment was quickly made and all he had to do was complete the remaining financial matters so that he could pick up the car at my my home in just three days.

A few hours later me and Robert found ourselves driving home our two sports cars for the last time. As we neared our rural home the four lane freeway had thinned down to nearly zero traffic. We each had the tops down on this warm, calm early summer evening as the sun fell low before us in the West. The smell of freshly cut hay in the fields and the sound of a thousand chirping frogs in roadside marshes piqued our senses. Suddenly the symphony of frogs was cut through by the whining of the MX-5's supercharger as Robert, smiling from ear to ear, raced past me in the left lane. The game was on. Moments later I shot past him on the Lotus' second cam and then eased off so Rob could again return the favor. We leapfrogged down the highway acting like silly high school kids for the next ten minutes - reveling in the camaraderie, but knowing this was the last time we'd be driving the one car that built us.

It was beautiful. It was bittersweet. It was perfect.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Cool story, and very well-written. Robert shared that one with me once too, very cool father-son experience.

Speaking of father-son and Lotus stories: When I was an infant and my dad was in charge of putting me to bed while my mom worked the late shift as a nurse, he found that the best way to put me to sleep was to set me into the passenger seat of his Europa and go for a drive through the Indiana countryside. I don't remember our nightly lotus drives, but they were the start of something special.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
"sure honey... no... i'm not out driving the Lotus for fun. Think of our children... they need to sleep".... :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Great story Todd.

You could also share another story about father son relations.

Goes like this: Gumball Rally 2012. Southwest Wisconsin.

Dad in his fancy Elise. Son 1 in his fancy Exige. Dad crapping his pants as Son 2 rides in the McLaren at ludicrous speed! :)

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Most of the transcending moments in a vintage Lotus involve waiting for a tow truck.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^ how true

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
"... but knowing this was the last time we'd be driving the one car that built us."

Niiiice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts