The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a call from Lotus USA today regarding my 2013 NA IPS Evora and the problems I have experienced, which are very lengthy, but more specifically the transmission problems and the honesty of the conversation was enlightening.

In summary, this is what they had to say regarding the transmission issues the Evora's have incurred and remember, I'm not a mechanic so I am only repeating what I was told/heard.

The engine wiring harness is a "known issue" related to all Evora's produced before late 2013. The parts manufacturer was changed in late 2013 and any Evora's produced after that time should have the new wiring harness and therefore should not experience these types of issues. However, if they were built with the old engine wiring harness, then they are subject to this problem as well. Lotus is NOT doing a recall for this at this time.

Any Evora's produced prior to this time will have this issue at some point. The ONLY permanent fix is to replace the engine wiring harness. The connections are poor with the old engine wiring harness which is why switching to Gold Pins in the past or unplugging and replugging the various connections would have helped but they are only bandaids according to Lotus as the problem will reoccur at some point.

They also said that there is "built up resistance" in the old engine wiring harness and that is what is causing the problem. If given enough time, the resistance will dissipate and the dashboard lights will disappear, which many of us have seen when turning the car off and then back on. Dealers would also see this and then think everything was fine and just apply the latest software updates and say that it was fixed but that was just masking the issue as the software does "NOTHING" to address this issue.

Lotus USA emphasized over and over again that the only permanent fix to this issue is the replacement of the engine wiring harness. Anything else (Gold Pins, Software Updates, unplugging and replugging connections, etc.) are bandaids. In addition, they stated that this has been communicated to all Lotus Dealers in the US but when a dealer receives a car with this issue, they need to first send the codes to Lotus USA to confirm the problem otherwise everyone would come in and say "give me a new engine wiring harness".

In short, if you are still under warranty, I strongly suggest you don't wait for your warranty to run out and find a way to get your engine wiring harness replaced. It is astronomically expensive if the warranty has run out.

The added bonus for me since I got my baby back is that she is running great and more importantly shifting incredibly better than the day I bought it. It's not a double clutch by any means but at times, its shifting so well, that you might think otherwise. Coincidence, possibly, but it is shifting so much smoother. It was the very first thing I noticed when I got the car back.

I will keep everyone updated as I drive her over the next few months but I am thinking only great thoughts right now as it's driving the way it was meant to be and it's a blast again!

Good luck to all and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
No, it doesn't help. In fact it's quite painful to read. If it is a known issue, then Lotus should issue a recall. Anything less is unethical and poor business practices. I love my Evora but it is the second and last Lotus I will ever own because of this kind of B.S.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
I wonder if the crappy harness had anything to do with my stuck throttle back in 2011 when part of the fix was to install the gold pins (and also replace a bunch of other stuff). But, at least it never happened again.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
825 Posts
Unfortunately, I agree with Chris D above that this doesn't help, since this means my car is a ticking time bomb and it hasn't gotten to the point yet to warrant wiring harness replacement. When, not if apparently, it all goes wrong, I'll likely be out of warranty since I'm half way through time wise and I baby the crap out of my car.

When you say incredibly expensive, how much are you talking? Like $10k or more? Also, is it the part that's expensive or the labor due to having to almost rewire the entire car?

You mention that your IPS is now smoother. Mine is a bit jerky at slow speeds but doesn't seem bad when moving higher than, say, 35 mph. Has this update reduced the jerkiness of coming to a stop when not in sport mode? That's when I notice the roughness the most.

I'm not saying I want any issues more than my occasional cold start issue, but if I will need to replace the wiring harness, it sounds like I'd want it to happen sooner than later.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with you guys. If the defect is known, Lotus needs to do a recall to get this fixed. What happen if the car fails on the highway and causes accidental death because of this?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what it costs but it's three full days of labor so if labor is $125/hr x 8 hr day x 3 days, you can see how quickly this adds up as the labor alone would be around $3,000. I was told they had my car completely taken apart for this.

As for my IPS, it is smoother at all speeds, its literally like driving a new car.

Lastly, remember, this is what they told me and is not in writing anywhere on their end that I am aware of. I just wanted to relay what I was told to the rest of you in an effort to help all of us. I wasn't trying to get anyone upset but rather let you in on what had been told to me.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their Lotus's and hope nobody has the amount and type of issues that I had. My car had been to the dealership 6 or 7 times over a 14 month period for various warranty related items, 4 times included the transmission and like everyone else, i am FAR from the dealership. I lost over 2 months of driving for the time it was spent sitting at the dealer. On a positive note, the dealership was top notch throughout all of this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 2013 harness was replaced, much smoother, no engine lights and haven't had to unplug the connectors since. Dealer was awesome too.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
if it is 4% cost to fix then wait and see. Porsche wouldn't recall this possible problem - they would fix it when needed and charge.

this is a sports car with small production. not at all unlike any history of any great sports car. they cost $$$$$$$$$$$$ so what. it isn't that bad on a %.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You mention that your IPS is now smoother. Mine is a bit jerky at slow speeds but doesn't seem bad when moving higher than, say, 35 mph.
Here's what I do to workaround the jerkiness at low speeds:
- If you're coming to a stop (e.g. red light), then just switch to N
- If the light turns green after you switch to N and you're still coasting, just switch to D again and it will pick up the right gear automatically
- If you're slowing down but not stopping, then pull the paddle to downshift

:)

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question but is this an issue isolated to the IPS or can us 6 speed owners expect it as well?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, if it's just the engine harness then MyLotusGarage has it for $800/$860 manual/auto. The biggest problem with replacing it is access to the engine if it's anything like the previous gen Toyota V6s. If it's the main body harness then that's expensive and would probably require stripping the interior and dash to get to. Based on everything I read I'm assuming it's the engine harness combined with exposure to heat/elements that's the issue.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question but is this an issue isolated to the IPS or can us 6 speed owners expect it as well?
Just IPS. You guys have other clutch issues to worry about. rotfl

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think I'm less worried about my clutch and more worried about throw out bearing, clutch master cylinder and boiling fluid. :p

·
Registered
853 Posts
This is beyond frustrating for me. The nearest dealer is over 4 hours away and as a result the warranty has been essentially worthless to me and I have attempted to fix everything and perform all maintenance myself. While I have been dealing with the limp mode just like everyone else, I have not been to a dealer to create a paperwork trail for Lotus so that I could advocate for a replacement of the engine harness. I am not interested in driving 4 hours only to have some sort of grease or some golden connectors to be installed on my car to band aid a known problem.

Perhaps we should begin reporting this to the NHTSA like the Elige guys did on their oil line issues as they eventually forced Lotus to pony up and fix a known dangerous defect that Lotus would otherwise ignore. As others have noted, losing power and being forced to decelerate rapidly, especially when traveling at a high rate of speed, could pose significant safety concerns to a governing body such as the NHTSA.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Is there an easy way to tell which harness you have for those with later cars?

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Looks like all the IPS folks that thought staying away from the manual was the thing to do got boinked on this one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Taking a car apart has OTHER inherent issues that I ALWAYS try to avoid.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Don't have a limp mode problem but it is auto shifting to Neutral that's killing me! Thought it was water but still showing up. No codes but happens at the worst moments! On 12 hour shifts at the moment so sleep is my main priority! Keeps me awake though!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm not having these issues but am now scared. The only issue I'm having is that it slowly slides into fourth gear from third rather than a solid gear change. Happens every time but especially when cold. It may be related but I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts