The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered some Redline 75W-80 for the transmission but when I was under the car changing the engine oil, I saw 2 different fill holes. Both photos are from me lying under the car, my head towards the front. The first shot shows the drain and fill hole above it, but there is another fill hole to the right of it closer to the wheel well and I'm not sure what it's for as I don't see a corresponding drain hole. Any assistance on how to replace the tranny fluid would be appreciated - I've done it on my BMWs but first time on the Evora.

Thanks!
James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The one with the sticker on it is the fill hole. Your first pic are neither fill nor drain. They are simply transmission plugs. The drain hole looks very similar to the fill hole (i.e. a large bolt) and is directly under the transmission case.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - didn't see a drain hole under the fill hole with the sticker on it.... I will have to look again once I get the oil.

Is there a separate drain and fill for the differential? I'm used to front engine/rear wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drain is to the right of the fill hole located under the main case as opposed to the cap case where the fill hole is.
Thanks but still confused... So my first photo - don't use either of these. The second photo shows the fill with the label on it. The drain is which direction from it in the photo?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The fill hole is on the driver side, the drain hole is under it but towards the passenger side. Said another way, in your first pick, you have a red seam of (red goo). The fill hole is on one side of that seam (driver side), the drain is on the other.

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
Trans/diff are together. Only 1 fluid

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fill hole is on the driver side, the drain hole is under it but towards the passenger side. Said another way, in your first pick, you have a red seam of (red goo). The fill hole is on one side of that seam (driver side), the drain is on the other.
And just ONE more re-statement of this (LOL - thanks for being patient) -

In my first photo is the drain hole. The fill hole is my second photo. Correct?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just read the owners manual and it states to drain the transmission you have to remove part of the exhaust. And, from what I've read here neither of the hex bolts in my first photo are fills or drains. The second photo is the fill and there is another 22mm bolt for the drain somewhere.

So do I have to remove a part of the exhaust? I have the Plack installed now.

Sorry if I am seeming to beat a dead horse.
James

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished the transmission fluid swap. The drain isn't physically on the BOTTOM of the transmission, but on the side. I used a little over 2 and a half quarts of Redline 75w80 and a harbor freight transfer hand pump to fill. Kinda messy, but not hard. Oil that was in the car didn't look too bad.

Here's a shot of the drain. The fill plug has the writing on it and was posted in my first photo. Also, I found that it was a 24mm socket needed and NOT a 22mm.

James

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
With stock airbox out of way, you could have simply run a hose from top of engine to fill hole and poured.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice job, James and thanks for the info and pics. After I do an oil change the transmission fluid change is next on my list.

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
LOL - I get it, I get it. Ditch the stock box and get the CAI from BOE. :bow::bow::bow:

James
I keep emphasizing this because the stock airbox makes DIY work a real nuisance. Wait till you go bleed the clutch with that thing blocking your view!!
You'll have to access it from down below. Not fun.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I keep emphasizing this because the stock airbox makes DIY work a real nuisance. Wait till you go bleed the clutch with that thing blocking your view!!
You'll have to access it from down below. Not fun.
:):) LOL - Already did. Lucky me - skinny arms.Pressure bled the system. Could barely see the bleeder valve. Luckily won't have to do that again for a while.

James

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
Cool. So you know what a treat it is. I just installed a Speed Bleeder on it for the future.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. So you know what a treat it is. I just installed a Speed Bleeder on it for the future.
I have a pressure bleed system that works great. It's an extra piece of gear but I don't track my cars a lot so I'm not constantly bleeding or flushing fluids.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The service manual says to replace the crush washer on the drain plug when changing the fluid. Does anyone know if the washer is the same size as what's used on the oil pan drain plug?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts