The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.

Our car seems to have some transmission chatter. You can hear hear some whine from the tranny as you accelerate and decellerate. Also when you push the clutch in you can feel some very slight funky vibrations through the pedal ecen when its pushed all the way in. The only reaso I ask is that I had a clutch feel similar to this way once when it was adjusted wrong and wasnt completely disengaging.

This may be normal? I dunno. I had a transmission on a miata rebuilt once and the guy did it wrong(didnt use the correct tolerances/spacing/shims) and the tranny made a similiar noise to what this is doing albiet MUCH louder.

The noise is VERY subtle and may be nothing more than just how this tranny sounds. Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This may be as the Elise Is much lighter than the donor and so there is less mass to absorb NVH.
m.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gear Noise

I picked mine up in Tucson and drove it back to Colorado. The gear noise worried me at first, but by the time I got home it was still present but somewhat quieter than when it was brand new. I can't hear it with the top off now, but top on windows up it is still there, and I'm guessing it will stay that way. Glad to "hear" it seems to be normal.

Richard Fogg

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Re: Gear Noise

arefog said:
I picked mine up in Tucson...

Richard Fogg
There's no dealer in Tucson. Was your car ferried from Scottsdale or out of state?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the mag. blue/biscuit car delivered to Scottsdale and subsequently sold to a Tucson dealer, then me. I'm one of the scum that paid over msrp to get one now to enjoy our beautiful Colorado fall. I waited 22 months for a '94 Viper, 18 months for an '01 M3, and I'm 10 months and counting for an Elise from Ferrari of Denver (good guys, by the way) and I decided to be childish and impatient and get this one now. I actually meant to post this in the other transmission thread but I hit "new thread" instead of "reply".

Richard Fogg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Never hurts to test whether the clutch is fully disengaging. Get the rear wheels in the air, start the car and put it in gear but do not release the clutch. If the wheels begin turning, your clutch is not fully disengaging.

Jim

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jtanner said:
Never hurts to test whether the clutch is fully disengaging. Get the rear wheels in the air, start the car and put it in gear but do not release the clutch. If the wheels begin turning, your clutch is not fully disengaging.

Jim
Dont I know it! We installed a new clutch in my "drag race" miata and took it to the track one night. I must have red lighted almost every time! I kept thinking WTF am I doing wrong!! Before launch of course I was revving it up to 6K and I was creeping up so slowly it was almost imperceptible, I finally figured out what was up. hehe

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't notice much whining in my tranny, but I do hear some "chatter" on deceleration, esp in 2nd or 3rd. I was assuming 'TADTS'.

I've been told that Porsche uses their crappy dual-mass flywheel to help eliminate gear noise, I wonder if Toyota also uses one? The clutch on the Elise is way better than the 996 though!

I've also heard a odd whine (at it's worst, almost a "drilling" sound of metal on metal!) on very hot (~90F) days with A/C on, between 5-6k RPMs, from the passenger side by the serpentine belt. I thought maybe the A/C clutch/compressor, but turning the A/C off didn't make it go away. Haven't really noticed it lately. Maybe whatever was rubbing has worn off? :eek:

Maybe I will start a new thread on this....

·
Registered
643 Posts
yagobob said:

I've been told that Porsche uses their crappy dual-mass flywheel to help eliminate gear noise, I wonder if Toyota also uses one? The clutch on the Elise is way better than the 996 though!
Toyota used one on the MKIV Supra. Don't know about the Celica. Should be pretty easy to determine by dropping the tranny.

Jim

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you think its bad in a Toyota engined car you want to try a K series one ! ....remember theres very little sound deadening in an Elise...I bet it just makes the same sound as it does when installed in a Celica - its just in the Elise you can hear it ;)

..tip - fit a sports exhaust and induction kit - it goes away then !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts