The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
There was a thread on it a while back. Mostly about how crazy expensive it was. I don't think anyone ever bought one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Damn it !
I clicked on the ebay link, loved it, saw the 3.200$ price tag... and nope.
Still looks very cool !

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
Damn it !
I clicked on the ebay link, loved it, saw the 3.200$ price tag... and nope.
Still looks very cool !

I always thought: They need to make a clear Exige Mohawk version. H! Imagine trying to keep that wind tunnel clean.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice concept. I remember guys talking about the clear roof on the Esprit and how it acts like a greenhouse inside the cabin when compared to the painted roof piece.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Clear hardtop

I own this Hardtop. It is great, even in full sunshine you can drive without sunglasses but still have the feeling of an open car. It is totally waterproof even in heavy rain (had it adjusted by a professional). Price is high, but it gives you at completely new room-feeling in your Lotus. Engine noise seems to be slightly louder than with the softtop, but this could also be the aftermarket muffler getting older and therefore louder. Wind noise is on the same Level as with the softtop.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Interesting that the only person who 'owns' it' is a new person on the forum who just joined and has a grand total of 2 posts! :)

Not accusing, just saying.

Yes, I was involved in that last thread and was VERY interested in this idea. So much so that I even thought about how one could take and existing hard top and use a clear insert. Perhaps 2" of the hardtop remain as a border and the plexi is in the middle. Production costs too prohibitive.

So back to this top. There is no market for a $3,200 top. That's 10% of the price of what many paid for their cars. That's money that people typically would rather put into performance.

I had reached out to the seller and asked a number of questions. I pretty much got a brush off. For an item like this, you MUST get it in the hands of owners. For example, bringing out to a local Lotus event, or letting a user have one for a couple of weeks - get it out there and get it reviewed. Had no interest.

Not to mention the last 'top thing' - the gullwing - was known to have leak issues.

For $1,000 we'd want to know if it leaks. For $3,200, we'd want to know that it gets you a prom date with Kate Upton.

So, I love the idea and I would love to have it on my car, but a) at $3,200 and b) being unproven - not going to sell many, if any.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
this top has been talked about alot, but no one ever has seen one in person. and no one has ever purchased one. So it sounds like a scam. i would want to see alot pictures of it and maybe youtube video of it with hose running water over the top and no leak

if you own one post a bunch of pics

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yes, if you own one - and aren't just someone who just signed up today and has a total of two posts - please:

- Post multiple pics of it.
- Post some youtube vids of it - water being poured over. Driving with it (wind noise).

The fact that no one has seen it tells me its a joke. Not to mention that the seller wouldn't tell me who else has purchased it. If you live in the US and you have an Elige, you'll wind your way to this forum. The fact that not one person has even seen it tells me something.

Ebay seller is in Atlanta. Why not bring it out to an ATL Lotus event or Cars and Coffee? Better yet, maybe ATL Lotus can go check it out.

But for $3,200, why even bother?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I called the guy who sells these several months ago when I first got my Elise. He is a nice enough guy, sounds young, and didn't act like a BS artist. My Lotus seems like a steal compared to any other car on the road, so I did spend almost 5K to buy a gullwing from ebay.uk and didn't but the see through roof top.

My gullwing will leak some if I hit it hard with a side gust of water while washing it, but my soft op wasn't exactly waterproof.

The ideal top would be a gullwing (so much easier to get in and out) with see through panels. I am sure there is a zero probability of that ever hitting the market!

Unless... would it fit a venom GT?

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did email this guy, he said they will have these in his shop in about 2 weeks. I will try and get some photos after they get them. Will request a video of it to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nice concept. I remember guys talking about the clear roof on the Esprit and how it acts like a greenhouse inside the cabin when compared to the painted roof piece.
Not really, I swapped out my composite roof on my Esprit for the glass one about a year ago and being heavily tinted there is no apparent increase in the cabin temperature even here in Florida. Also remember you can always crack it open if you have to leave it parked in the sun. Other advantages with the glass roof are that you get an extra 1 inch of headroom and it makes the cabin appear to be more open and roomier.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
The 3. post

Hello again

No problem, the above was really my second post and I joined because I wanted to give you my personal experience with this really not cheap part. But I red here for more than two years already; you have interesting articles and discussions we don't have here in Europe besides SELOC.

The clear roof by the way is not hard as usual hardtops; it is slightly flexible (seems to be made of Lexan). The website is the mentioned Visium (http://www.visium.it) but I ordered by my local Lotus dealer where I once could inspect one on a race event before ordering. I bought it because I wanted the open feeling, but my wife hates the winds. Further on I like to drive the Elise in the winter months too.

Best regards
ccqqmm

·
Registered
75 Posts
this is really cool! , the price is too damn high . would anyone have any interest in a carbon one? been toying with the idea of making one and have access to a autoclave big enough

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any problem when running at high speed? still sit tight and stable?

Hello again

No problem, the above was really my second post and I joined because I wanted to give you my personal experience with this really not cheap part. But I red here for more than two years already; you have interesting articles and discussions we don't have here in Europe besides SELOC.

The clear roof by the way is not hard as usual hardtops; it is slightly flexible (seems to be made of Lexan). The website is the mentioned Visium (VISIUM - Intro) but I ordered by my local Lotus dealer where I once could inspect one on a race event before ordering. I bought it because I wanted the open feeling, but my wife hates the winds. Further on I like to drive the Elise in the winter months too.

Best regards
ccqqmm

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
Exclusivity has it's price...

It's beautiful really is. It makes more sense if perhaps you were not like me. Instead of blowing cash at every corner of the car, you take one wad of MOD money and lay it on that top. It's all you want for the car.

I could see doing it... He went in eyes wide open and had to have it professionally installed as well... I bet it does change the vehicle in a primary kind of way.

I would buy that top if my life was all Vegas Dreams and Bull runs in downturns !
Thanks for the review and pictures !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts