The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a transplant of the supercharger from an Exige S into an Elise possible? Is it worth it vs a BWR or other aftermarket kit?

It would have to run without the intercooler of course, so would that cause any significant problems? I suppose an ECU retune would be necessary...

Anyone done this?

·
Registered
285 Posts
You will have to figure something out, as you stated you can not use the intercooler... The BWR SC kit has the air inlet on the SC and the output of the SC is directly into the inlet manifold.

The Exige SC has the air inlet on the SC but the outlet is attached to a manifold that connects to a pipe that runs to the IC. Than from the outlet side of the IC air flows to the inlet manifold. So the inlet manifold is completly different from the BRW manifold.

You might be able to use a VF style IC that you can locate behind the pass. side sidepod.

Only if you were to find a stock exige set @ a very good price you can do this. Otherwise just get a BWR/Katana/VF kit.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Is a transplant of the supercharger from an Exige S into an Elise possible? Is it worth it vs a BWR or other aftermarket kit?

It would have to run without the intercooler of course, so would that cause any significant problems? I suppose an ECU retune would be necessary...

Anyone done this?
Lotus dealers will now retrofit the Elise SC supercharger set up in an non-SC Elise. Does not use the intercooler.

If your car is still in warranty, this will keep your warranty intact. Presumably even if it's out of warranty, the SC install itself is warrantied.

This will get you the same power as a S220 Exige and the Elise SC. You cannot simply turn it into an S240 or S260 that way, though.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
if i had intercooled manifolds i would for sure find a way to install an intercooler.i have a katana.so im stuck with a direct feed to the head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Transplant SC from Exige into Elise?
Anyone done this?

Yes, I've got this done in Germany for I wanted to keep near to the original due to german emission regulations. (Just in case: sorry for my english).

Started with:
- original Lotus Exige S charger, inlet manifold
- custom chargecooler air2water in the right scoop
- uprated injectors

to get additional 50hp (at the crank)
- airbox
- sports cat
- sports backbox
- ECU-remap instead of an Exige 240HP/Cup -ECU

This had been done by Daniel Koblitschek, who is, as far as I know, the best Lotus Tuner in Germany. (209.9KW/8493rpm, standard pulley :))

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! That's good info. I didn't take into account the manifold problem...
I guess if I got the setup for really cheap or free, it might be worth it, otherwise, nevermind...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The inlet manifold shouldn't be the point. It's new around $140,- I guess. Not worth talking about, compared to the rest.
Most important for power and reliability (i.e. life cycle costs) is to get a good intercooler / chargecooler. This is the only thing you can't transplant from the exige. A VF-like Intercooler should also be a very good option, but I don't know whether you can get one which fits on the right side. This is the easiest way if you use the original stuff.
Air2air or air2water is just dependent on how much power (and additional weight) you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts