The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is being transported from California (about 1500 miles) and will be here in the morning.

Just wondering how much/if I should be tipping the driver?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that link. However, after reading the posts, tipping is now as clear as mud to me:(

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that.

Are you of the same opinion then? You never indicated yea or nay to tipping though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's clear that you dont understand the bottom point of giving tip.

A tip is something you give the "guy on the floor" to show him you appretiate what he have done or make him feel he wont to give you something extra in return.

i would tip the trashcollector guy, maybe next time he clean my trashbox.
I would tip the mailman, cause he actually get MY mail to the right place and not the 3 others in the area with the same name :eek:

I would tip the car delivery guy if i see that he does an excellent and careful job unloading my car. I would tip him even more if he is a nice guy and talks awesome words about my new car.

the size of the tip doesnt really matter. even tho a tip of 1 or 5$ for delivering a 100k$ car is an insult.

You shouldnt feel bad if you tip someone 50$. its a nice compliment to the driver and its probably more than his hour wager.

as said its not much about what the price of what is delivered, its more about what you get extra.

pay what you feel its worth to you. he wouldnt be upset if he didnt get any tip, but he would probably be really happy with some extra coins to bring back home! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate the whole tipping thing to begin with. It puts a lot of pressure upon the buyer/user of a service or goods.

We run into this issue every time we go scuba diving (how much, when, how often).

I understand the purpose of a tip. IMHO, it's used when a person has gone above and beyond the call of duty/requirements of their job (or their employer punks them by paying them a lower wage knowing that they will make it up in tips) .

Having said that, isn't it within the drivers job description to deliver a vehicle in a safe and caring manner?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to tipping. I just think that the whole concept has become watered down and expected when not warranted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
tbh. im getting my new car in 6-8 weeks. and i know im not gonna tip the guy already.

but who knows. maybe he is one of these guys i just cant resist to tip off :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
personally I wouldn't tip simply because the guy that delivers the car may not have loaded the car, driven the car across country, or taken it on and off the car during transport. but that's just me...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you are right. I know that the car was sitting in a garage somewhere in Las Vegas for an unknown amount of time.

BTW~ so far, the transport company has been good to me. They've kept me abreast of where the car is and when it should arrive. I receive a phone call from them about every other day.

I can tell that these guys are real car nuts.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
its simple

talk to the driver, see if hes really likes his job, see how he cares for your car

and if you feel like you need to give him a tip, then do. If not, dont.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about tipping in some other, non-monetary way. I know that as a paramedic, I enjoyed getting a card or a plate of homemade cookies from a patient (rarely happened though). Not that I'll be baking this guy cookies tonight.:D

However, he may not like beer. The car will be delivered at about 8am. I thought about making him a homemade breakfast (probably appreciated by a truck driver), but on the other hand it sounds a little fruity.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
^ i would just stick to money

like i said before if after talking to him you really feel like you should tip him, just do it.

You dont have to tip him some crazy amount of money, $50 would do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts