The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car did not come with a soft top, and I'll be receiving a new one in the near future, from the seller who is in the US. I'll be in the US around that time, so I'm hoping it will have arrived and I can just take it with my luggage when I fly back. This will save shipping costs and delays.

So my question is: How do I do this? I've never seen the soft top before so I have no idea how big it is. I guess it comes with a bag -- should I just check the bag as a piece of luggage? Am I better off putting it into my suitcase? I'll have a 23" suitcase with me.

I'll be flying on United and LOT transferring in Chicago and Warsaw, but I assume all airlines are equally good (bad) at luggage handling.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
My car did not come with a soft top, and I'll be receiving a new one in the near future, from the seller who is in the US. I'll be in the US around that time, so I'm hoping it will have arrived and I can just take it with my luggage when I fly back. This will save shipping costs and delays.

So my question is: How do I do this? I've never seen the soft top before so I have no idea how big it is. I guess it comes with a bag -- should I just check the bag as a piece of luggage? Am I better off putting it into my suitcase? I'll have a 23" suitcase with me.

I'll be flying on United and LOT transferring in Chicago and Warsaw, but I assume all airlines are equally good (bad) at luggage handling.
You won't get it in a 23" suitcase.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
In the bag, I think it will not be a problem to check it.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
You will need to stuff the soft top into a 3oz bottle I'm afraid.

xtn

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Duct tape it to the wing...........but use a LOT of duct tape !

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
I suggest that you wrap it with lots of bubble wrap, stuff it in a sturdy carton, and check the carton. Otherwise, the hard plastic mounts on the driver's and passanger's side could be easily damaged by baggage handlers.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...rolled and bagged, it's about the size of a roll of architectural 'D' drawings and easily checked as luggage...just wrap the entire bag in brown packing paper or cardboard and tape it well to protect the bag from scuffing damage; you should have no problems...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The padded softtop that's included with the touring pack is about 8" diameter and 29.5" long. You can roll it so the hard plastic end pieces are both inside, protected by the soft top . Make sure you get the bag that the soft top came with, that will help transport quite a bit obviously! The drawstring on the bag has a friction latch to help keep the bag closed; I think it'd be fine if you check it. You might want to bundle up that drawstring though so it doesn't get caught on anything in the baggage handling process.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
for what it costs to check baggage, it may be cheaper to UPS it to your destination, and maybe a lot safer to it.

the soft top is not real heavy, just cushion the ends after it's rolled up to prevent any bumping damage.
good luck, sam

·
Registered
891 Posts
check the bag of soft top as a separatelly luggage .

Bubble wrap it well before .
Usually there is service of baggages bubble wrapping on the airport .

probably your very next thread will be for asking which bubble wrap service to use ? rotflrotfl

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
for what it costs to check baggage, it may be cheaper to UPS it to your destination, and maybe a lot safer to it.
+1. Ship it. Ramp Apes can destroy almost anything !

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

the soft top is not real heavy, just cushion the ends after it's rolled up to prevent any bumping damage.
good luck, sam
Actually UPS (and other delivery services) are quite expensive since it's international freight and there will also be customs duties (along with brokerage fees) once it arrives.

I think I'll bubble-wrap it as others suggested just to be safe, and then take it as checked baggage. It won't cost me any extra to take it as checked baggage (the newly-introduced baggage charges don't apply to frequent flyers).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The soft top will be easy to transport on a plane.

It's the LCDs mounted in the back of the headrests that'll be the problem.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
yeah, dummy me didn't notice it was international....
tried to edit, failed.
they will probably put me on that thread now....rotfl
sam

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I suggest that you wrap it with lots of bubble wrap, stuff it in a sturdy carton, and check the carton. Otherwise, the hard plastic mounts on the driver's and passanger's side could be easily damaged by baggage handlers.
+1 Plenty of bubble wrap and a very sturdy cardboard box for your top. The monkeys loading baggage will just throw that box into the baggage compartment and then proceed to throw a ton (literally) of heavy luggage on top of it. Sadly, they may still destroy the top if given enough chances and a lot of stops and transfers might be just the ticket to allow them to do that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
+1 Plenty of bubble wrap and a very sturdy cardboard box for your top. The monkeys loading baggage will just throw that box into the baggage compartment and then proceed to throw a ton (literally) of heavy luggage on top of it. Sadly, they may still destroy the top if given enough chances and a lot of stops and transfers might be just the ticket to allow them to do that.
I would double box and double wrap it as light things seem to get thrown farther and take more damage than the average package. A few dollars in bubble wrap and cardboard can save you hundreds if you need a new one. Wrap it as if they are going to drop it out at 15k feet because I have had some luggage in international flights that looked like that happened to it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Actually UPS (and other delivery services) are quite expensive since it's international freight and there will also be customs duties (along with brokerage fees) once it arrives.

I think I'll bubble-wrap it as others suggested just to be safe, and then take it as checked baggage. It won't cost me any extra to take it as checked baggage (the newly-introduced baggage charges don't apply to frequent flyers).
exposed Bubble wrap is like placing a note on it asking the bag handlers to test it. Yes, it's better protected than just checking the soft top in the storage bag, but if you have the choice and the time, get a suitcase for it. I've done this several times here (States) and abroad. Find a resale shop or flea market and get a cheap hard-side case ---those that don't have wheels are $5 or less.

Either way you handle it, put your name and addr or business cards (taped) all over it --inside, outside, around the string. No one can predict why some stuff 'disappears'

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Why not just carry it on? It'll easily fit in any overhead compartment. Check your regular bag instead.

·
Registered
891 Posts
for carrying on probably security services will be notice the roof stay bars (?)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The stays are not metal. Besides you can carry lots of things that are potentially weaponlike, such as knitting needles. I've seen someone knitting on a plane with needles you could roast a yak on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts