The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Transporting Elise from east 2 west

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  adamant 
#1 ·
i will be getting my elise from the east and want to transport it to southern cali, does anyone have any experience in this or have any advice? should i get a closed container or would it be safe to have it transported on an open rig? has anyone had a car transported by an open rig? TIA!

#5 ·
I brought my Lotus Elan from Fl. To Ma. via an open carrier and had very good luck. I understand enclosed carriers are about double in price. On the other hand a neighbor of mine had his car wrecked on an open carrier. I think for the long trip an enclosed carrier is the way to go.

#6 ·
majorbonr

what's the name and location of the shop that powdercoated your black rims? There are four or five of us that want to all go and get our rims and diffuser powdercoated together in hopes of getting a group discount.
thanks!

#7 ·
You could fly to the east coast and then drive back to Cali (I'm sure you could get back in under 12 hours, and if you got enough people to do it, you could use that to protest the high petrol prices).

#9 ·
I bought a 1974 Elite in Texas and had it shipped to my home near Philadelphia. It was shipped by open carrier and was picked up 1 week late, got here 2 days early (based on the number of days shipping I was quoted, not the orignal delivery date), and the idiots left the driver side window open so, in short, I'm happy the car is made out of fiberglass. It took a couple of days to dry out the carpets and seats but hey it did get here. Esspecially with a 40k Elise, use an enclosed carrier.

#10 ·
zvezdah1,
do you know if lotus uses an open or enclosed carrier to ship their cars? thanks.

shay2nak,
i posted all the info on that thread your reffering too. i've been bugg'n you about the navy blue and bronze wheel thing, do you think you can photoshop it for me when you have the chance. thanks.

#11 ·
originally posted by majorbonr
i've been bugg'n you about the navy blue and bronze wheel thing, do you think you can photoshop it for me when you have the chance. thanks.
Damn, I totally forgot, sorry!! I'll work on it. Thanks for the info, I'll check the thread.

#13 ·
Which ever you use be certain that the company is reputable. The industry has been de-regulated and there are NO consumer protections. I had a miserable time getting a car shipped from Dallas to Reno. I learned that there are a lot of phoney transporters. Some simply steal your car, others do not perform as they represent. They are supposed to provide insurance for any damage while transporting but if they don't you are screwed. The dealer's insurance won't cover it and neither will yours (but check with your agent to be sure). Don't try saving bucks or saving time, go with a reputable carrier.

#14 ·
khamai said:
As Chris mentioned, LCU has been using Horseless for years. Trailers are enclosed.

If you care about the car you'll go with enclosed. I've heard too many horror stories about the condition of a car when carried on an open rig for any sort of distance.
[/QUOTE

Just make sure that if your car is on the bottom section, that the car on top doesnt have an oil leak.

#20 ·
buck,
I think the price has a lot to do with distance and direction. As it was explained to me originally, depends on to/from vehicle goes.

It's no problem getting a quote, probably give horseless,passport a call, they can tell you immediately.

et al,

I would never consider an open carrier. My caterham came from texas that way and the cockpit was thoroughly soaked by the time it got here.
Chris

#24 ·
smura,
when will you be getting your elise? i'm in the first 10 and should see my car hopefully june/july. i would be willing to swap if yours is in the first 10, maybe even if its within 15.

i'm originally from seattle(lake city is where i lived) also, so i could go and visit family and friends and then go drive home my newest family member. :D :clap:

#25 ·
I wish I was in the first 10. #32 at Park Place in B'vue. Moved to VA so I'll have to ship across country too. We won't be trading with my self projected Dec delivery, but it would have been nice to have it work out.

Ordered CO, Hrd Top, Sport Pkg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.