The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Esprit has been evicted by the condo association for excessive noise; even though I literally "creep" in and out of the area...it has a deep bellow on startup.

So, I'll be moving it to my Atlanta house. I plan to put it on a U-Haul four wheel transporter and tow with my Tundra.

Does anyone have specific towing tips or gotchas to consider? I anticipate I may need a couple wide planks to reduce the ramp angles and will use as needed. But, I'm thinking everything else is pretty standard...

Also, are there any good Esprit shops local to Atlanta ? I know Lotus NA is in Lawrenceville.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
That stinks.

My previous owner used to back the Esprit onto the Uhaul trailer. That's the only advice I can pass on.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
576 Posts
We have transported a couple on a trailer we own. With ours have to block the ramps up and use extra approach boards then works fine. Securing it by all 4 wheels (only)works best and is safest.

Randy

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Be sure to give the Condo Gestapo one last screaming at the rev limiter blast! Sounds like you tried to be quiet as possible.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Backing the car onto the trailer puts more weight on the tongue which will make trailering the car easier, less sway (the motor is in the back which is now towards the front). It is harder to do that because you can't see very well so use a spotter. Remove the lower spoiler in the front if you have to. Tie it down in each corner and cross the rear tie downs to keep the car from moving sideways. Once it is secured put it in neutral and release the parking brake. You might want to put a cover over it so you don't catch the wind so badly on the back window. Once you start out you should stop often to check the lugnuts and tire pressures on the trailer and the tie-downs will loosen so make sure they stay tight. Check all of the lights on the trailer too. Don't forget to take a set of keys for the Lotus! Otherwise when you get to where you are going it will be difficult to unload the car! Especially if you locked it!
David Teitelbaum

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are always so thorough with details David:). Thank you very much for the checklist, which I will print and follow:clap:

·
Registered
80 Posts
forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why don't you just drive it home?, put a big smile on 'ya.
the lotus company headquarters is in atlanta area, i believe they can work on it there.
and definitely give a big revving on your way out, show those association nazi's what they only thought they were complaining about!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
If you were leaving the condo for good, not just the Lotus, I would agree with the sentiment. Since you will still be living there I would resist the urge. It isn't worth it. You obviously have at least one pissed off neighbor, no need to make it more.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you are using a 2 axle trailer, as you should, then there is no need to back the car on. Remember it is a mid engine not a rear engine car. . You want the trailer balanced, not extra weight on the tongue. You are more likely to damage the front backing it on than driving it front first.
I always load with the trailer backed to a slight upslope for the ramps to give a little extra clearance and then use 2x8s to help get the front on the ramp. Then just pull the car up to the balance point.
The car will ride great if you use a wheel strap or are able to strap through the wheels.
It is not recommended to tie the chassis down as there are no good front tie down points.
The car also rides better going nose first than tail first.

Just my opinion after pulling two Esprits for about 1500 miles.

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Here's a pic and a description from the previous owner. The problem was not getting it on the trailer, but getting it forward enough to balance the trailer without damaging the nose.

"We had to put the car on backward because the front spoiler was to low, I tried everything, wood blocks etc, I got it up the ramp, but it would not go all the way to the front and I thought if I had to stop it might damage the front spoiler. The blanket was to make the rear wing a lot less aerodynamic, as you know it produces a lot of down force, backward I didn't want it to produce up force, so I just put the blanket on it and wrapped it with duct tape, that seemed to spoil the lift."

I hope I never have to put the car on a trailer, because that means something bad happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
A lot depends on the trailer and the circumstances of loading and unloading. You always make the tongue "heavy" but too much is not good either. Putting the car on facing forwards is better aerodynamically but you may not have the clearance under the front to get the car far enough forwards. It is also easier to drive it on forwards, backing it onto a trailer can be scary because you cannot see what you are doing. Even though the Lotus is "mid-engined" if you do not get it positioned so the weight is properly balanced on the trailer forwards then one option is to try putting it on backwards. Another option is to add weight to the trailer till it is balanced. Driving an unbalanced trailer can be scary and very dangerous. Especially if it does not have sway control. It also matters how far you have to go, the road conditions and the weather. What may feel OK on a dry, smooth road could become uncontrollable in a big rainstorm. An equalizing hitch with sway control can overcome some of the loading problems but if you are renting a trailer, that is not usually available.
David Teitelbaum

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rented the two axle uhaul transporter. FYI, the esprit will only fit rear forward, backwards. I tried front forward and the spoiler will not clear the front lip on the trailer leaving the front wheels too far away from the tire tie down straps. I put it on backwards and all was good... Except for the part where I did not latch the front bonnet and the wind lifted it and bent the crap out of hinge brackets, bent the strut bracket and broke the plastic bonnet "plenum" in several places.

Could have been worse; I could have been sweeping my hood off the interstate.

So, now I'm trying to straighten and repair the damage. The plastic I'm not too worried about although I'm wondering what the strongest repair method would be. The hinges are what has me bugged. The bonnet is scraping the body on the leading edge and I think I need to bend the u-shape brackets a bit and realign. Anyone have experience aligning the bonnet gap to the leading edge?

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ouch!
The front brackets are slotted where they attach to the hood, and normally one uses that slot to align everything. With bent brackets you will have to get them pretty close to the original shape to get it all to work. I have also seen shims used on the brackets at the same attachment. Remember to check your hold down hooks for fitment before everything is cranked down.

Randy

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The brackets that hold the hood on are also attached to the hardware that holds the headlight pods in place and swivels. If you bent those brackets, they are pretty hefty, it will be difficult to straighten them without removing them, heating them up, and bending them to a template to get the bend right. If you do not get the bend right, the hood will hit as you open and close it. The only adjustment is to add shims to get the height correct and the slots allow you to move the hood to get the gaps on the sides even. If the brackets are not bent a lot you could try enlarging the slots to get more adjustment and move the hood towards the windscreen. There really is not a lot of forward-rearward adjustment. If you do remove the hinges keep track of all of the washers. If you mess up and overtighten, the headlight pods and the hood hinges will not move. As for the plastic get a plastic heat gun and repair kit from Eastwood.com
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I rented the two axle uhaul transporter. FYI, the esprit will only fit rear forward, backwards. I tried front forward and the spoiler will not clear the front lip on the trailer leaving the front wheels too far away from the tire tie down straps. I put it on backwards and all was good... Except for the part where I did not latch the front bonnet and the wind lifted it and bent the crap out of hinge brackets, bent the strut bracket and broke the plastic bonnet "plenum" in several places.

Could have been worse; I could have been sweeping my hood off the interstate.

So, now I'm trying to straighten and repair the damage. The plastic I'm not too worried about although I'm wondering what the strongest repair method would be. The hinges are what has me bugged. The bonnet is scraping the body on the leading edge and I think I need to bend the u-shape brackets a bit and realign. Anyone have experience aligning the bonnet gap to the leading edge?

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
I hope the info from my previous owner helped you in the end since needing to back up onto that same uhaul style trailer is what he found out after a lot of figuring.

You should send a bill to your condo association for that hood. That stinks to mess up your car because of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I never can understand why people advocate using a car cover when trialering. All a cover will do is trap road debris and buffet it against/into the paint.

Doesn't sound like one was used here, but just thought I'd chime in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts