The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!! SOS!! -eek--eek-

What started as a minor inconvenience developed into a crisis. I can't open the driver's door, from the inside or the outside!!!! :eek::eek:

It started, I guess, a month ago. Occasionally, after I got in the Elise the door wouldn't be solidly latched. When I opened the door from outside, the door button (the thing in which you can insert a key) didn't snap back. I would have to pull the door again from inside, or fiddle with the inside latch. This state of affairs got progressively worse until tonight. No matter what I did, the door stayed loose. I must have tried various things maybe a dozen times. Then I pushed the door lock switch and that held it tight.

However, when I got home, I couldn't open the door no matter what. If I flipped the door lock switch or the key fob, the lock knob (for want of a better term) alternated between being all the way down and being part way down. It never went all the way up. Regardless, the door wouldn't open. Fortunately, I could get out through the passenger door.

How do I open the driver's door????

(I've got an idea - I didn't try pulling the locking knob up.)

(It could be worse. The locks on my Saturn wagon had deteriorated so that I had to open the trunk, crawl in, and use a coat hanger to unlock the driver's door.)

This is an '06, still under warranty.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Drive to your dealer, crawl out of the window(make sure they see you do this), tell them to fix it immediately.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
lol. If it was still under warranty, why didn't you go get it fixed?

·
Registered
543 Posts
i'll agree with the others about going to the dealer for Warranty work. also, if in your various attempts did you use the key to lock that door and perhaps did not manually unlock the door? a thought.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are you posting from inside your car? :panic:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll agree with the others about going to the dealer for Warranty work.
Of course. I put off going to the dealer until the next scheduled maintenance. Anyway, it doesn't help to cry over spilt milk.

also, if in your various attempts did you use the key to lock that door and perhaps did not manually unlock the door? a thought.
No. I'm sure of that.

Are you posting from inside your car? :panic:
No. I got out of the Elise through the passenger door. Fortunately, the electric lock/unlock works fine on the passenger door.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's been stuck in there for a month, driving from fast food restaurant to fast food restaurant... and peeing in cups!
Burger King and McDonalds. For variety, White Castle and Arby's. :D

I can use the same cup over and over again but, for hygienic reasons, get a fresh cup every day.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
In case noone mentions it....you should get it to the dealer.:huh:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Take it to the dealer. I just had my dealer replace both door latch mechansims under warranty. I didn't get locked in but they just would latch completely.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm not sure that the 05 seats would be comfy enough to reside in my Lotus - but then again, having the jaws of life open my door for me isn't an attractive proposition either.

I'm going out on a limb here, but with the whole NY warranty thing, if you bring it to the dealer, they might fix it. Then again they may push your face into the hood of another car and tell you to buy that f*cking car or they'll break your f*cking head. They sell. Bring in a tank and they'll sell the f*cking thing.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm not sure that the 05 seats would be comfy enough to reside in my Lotus - but then again, having the jaws of life open my door for me isn't an attractive proposition either.

I'm going out on a limb here, but with the whole NY warranty thing, if you bring it to the dealer, they might fix it. Then again they may push your face into the hood of another car and tell you to buy that f*cking car or they'll break your f*cking head. They sell. Bring in a tank and they'll sell the f*cking thing.
HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Burger King and McDonalds. For variety, White Castle and Arby's. :D

I can use the same cup over and over again but, for hygienic reasons, get a fresh cup every day.
WHITE CASTLE!! WOO!! I looked and saw you were from New York, too, after reading that. LOL.

White castle = NY, Jersey, Philly.

If you want some solid show car detailing for free, PM me and swing by my place in Garden City some time.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We used to wrestle the Garden City Trojans when I was in HS in Valley Stream... it was a slaughter.

Did they really close the Roosevelt Field Mall?

·
Registered
128 Posts
WHITE CASTLE!! WOO!! I looked and saw you were from New York, too, after reading that. LOL.

White castle = NY, Jersey, Philly.

If you want some solid show car detailing for free, PM me and swing by my place in Garden City some time.
Does that offer of a "show car detailing" extend to other Lotus Drivers --- mine is an 06 Exige.

---- ANDY

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take it to the dealer. I just had my dealer replace both door latch mechansims under warranty. I didn't get locked in but they just would latch completely.
I've got a plan of action. :nanner: Pulling the locking pin up with my bare hands didn't work. A wrench might help, but it also might cause damage. Any ideas on that?

I'll make an appointment, probably next week, to repair this and other warranty matters (passenger's window doesn't open) and change the oil. Until then, I'll leave the car where it is. That means I have to get in only once - through the passenger's door and then climb over the shifter and emergency brake. I haven't tried getting in through the driver's window. :)

What a bummer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a plan of action. :nanner: Pulling the locking pin up with my bare hands didn't work. A wrench might help, but it also might cause damage. Any ideas on that?

I'll make an appointment, probably next week, to repair this and other warranty matters (passenger's window doesn't open) and change the oil. Until then, I'll leave the car where it is. That means I have to get in only once - through the passenger's door and then climb over the shifter and emergency brake. I haven't tried getting in through the driver's window. :)

What a bummer.

Dan, where are you going to take the Car for warranty service?

I used HRM and was very pleased, and Westhampton Coach Works / Hamptons Motor Cars and was very, very, very disappointed.

--- ANDY

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan, where are you going to take the Car for warranty service?

I used HRM and was very pleased, and Westhampton Coach Works / Hamptons Motor Cars and was very, very, very disappointed.

--- ANDY
Andy, I bought the car from Manhattan Motorsports (same company as Hamptons) but had the 1,000 mi. service at HRM and 3,000 mi. at Park Ave. I was happy with Park Ave. and want to use them again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts