The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just had the "TRD/TOYOTA HELICAL LSD – LOTUS/TOYOTA C5X, C6X" from mokeywrenchracing.com installed in my car. When I got my car back decided to test out the diff by lifting the car up and spinning the wheel while the car is in 1st gear. The wheels moved in opposite directions, indicating that the car really has NO LSD. I'm not understanding how to test correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
232 Posts
Have someone hold the opposite wheel. They should feel resistance. The diff can only send the amount of torque available at the lower torque side times the torque bias ratio. In other words if you have 100 NM of torque at the spinning wheel and the torque bias ratio is 2 the differential can only send 200 NM of torque to the wheel with more traction.
Not sure what the TBR is for these differentials.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
On my Porsche, you lift only one rear wheel off the ground, then put a torque wrench on the rear axle nut, and try to turn the wheel. There is a specific amount of torque that need to be applied to spin that wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have someone hold the opposite wheel. They should feel resistance. The diff can only send the amount of torque available at the lower torque side times the torque bias ratio. In other words if you have 100 NM of torque at the spinning wheel and the torque bias ratio is 2 the differential can only send 200 NM of torque to the wheel with more traction.
Not sure what the TBR is for these differentials.
Ok, will give this a try. To be clear if the person holding the other wheel does not feel any resistance the car has NO LSD. Correct?

Edit: Did a quick test and with one wheel been held the other wheel has resistance and was unable to move. not 100% sure if the car has LSD or not?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
232 Posts
Sounds like you have a LSD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts