The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just an the title says, I have tree sap on my evora's headlight. It's a very small drop, just wondering what's the best and safest way to take it off?

Any products out there that work wonders to take it off?

Rubbing alcohol...vinegar....goo gone...bug/tar remover???

Thanks in advance for any and all input

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,888 Posts
Hello all,

Just an the title says, I have tree sap on my evora's headlight. It's a very small drop, just wondering what's the best and safest way to take it off?

Have you tried hot soapy (Dawn) water? Of the products you've listed I'd use Goo Gone first.

San

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rubbing alcohol will do it. You will have to use a few clothes as the alcohol will dilute the sap and spread it around. Just get a new cloth and a bit more alcohol. And should be fine on the plastic. Paint and headlight protective films have you prep the surface with alcohol. I've used it on both paint and headlights with no ill effect. If you use it on paint it'll take the wax off so use it sparingly unless you plan to re wax

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I read a while ago that pine sap can often be removed with vegetable oil (which was stated to be harmless to paint and fiberglass). Perhaps it would work on a headlight if left in place for a while. Of course, it would need to be followed up with hot, soapy water and a good wax.

Note that your headlights are clear coated. So, whatever you do use should be what is safe for use on paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all,

Have you tried hot soapy (Dawn) water? Of the products you've listed I'd use Goo Gone first.

San
I haven't tried anything yet other than just trying to wipe it down with some very warm water and a microfiber cloth. Which didnt seem to do anything. I will try dawn soap and rubbing alcohol if that doesnt work. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rubbing alcohol will do it. You will have to use a few clothes as the alcohol will dilute the sap and spread it around. Just get a new cloth and a bit more alcohol. And should be fine on the plastic. Paint and headlight protective films have you prep the surface with alcohol. I've used it on both paint and headlights with no ill effect. If you use it on paint it'll take the wax off so use it sparingly unless you plan to re wax
Okay thanks so I'll try the rubbing alcohol. Do I need to let it sit in and soak the sap for awhile? Hoping it has no effect on the headlights clear coat. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read a while ago that pine sap can often be removed with vegetable oil (which was stated to be harmless to paint and fiberglass). Perhaps it would work on a headlight if left in place for a while. Of course, it would need to be followed up with hot, soapy water and a good wax.

Note that your headlights are clear coated. So, whatever you do use should be what is safe for use on paint.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that if rubbing alcohol has no effect on it.

451 Posts
Turpentine work the best for removing tree sap...but that is getting hard to find, so mineral spirits is next in line. Home Depot paint depart is where to source either.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I can't speak for the head lights but I had good success using Zaino polish (the Z2 or Z5) to remove big globs of baked on tree sap from paint on another car.
It takes some elbow grease, but the polish eventually dissolves the sap.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I had tree sap from a pine tree get onto a former car. I think it had accumulated on a 1 week cottage trip. I basically was not able to get it off of the paint so I ended up wet sanding and spray painting.

I'll admit though that I didn't try the solutions offered on this thread.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
Keep it simple......Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover. Works great on rubber from track days also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts