The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found out that my 2006 Exige has not had the oil-line recall performed on it, yet.

Unfortunately for me, the closest Lotus dealer is in Chicago (at Lake Forest Sportscars)... a lovely 4 hour drive away. I'd really rather not put those kind of miles on my car, but I'd also like to have the recall done.

At the same time, if I'm going to make the trip up, I might as well try to make a mini-vacation out of it, too. So, are there any specific weekends that I you guys suggest I try to plan the trip? Any big events that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
You could take it on a trailer, go a bit further to Indianapolis to let T.J. at Gator do it, and time it to coincide with one of the race events there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a trailer nor do I have a truck that could pull it... so from a cost perspective, I don't think that'd be the best option for me :(

Does LFSC have a good reputation?

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
your car has 28,000+ miles on it anyway, its not like a couple thousand here or there is going to have much of an affect. If you're going to bother bringing it all the way over here you might as well take it to Indy and have TJ do it. If you're feeling frisky head up to Chicago and hit up Portillos and/or propose a meet!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
LFSC has a reputation as just being 'meh'.

You'll get to see great cars there - Ferrari, AM, McLaren and the smoking hot receptionist! :)

That being said, I'd go to Indy. It's basically 100 miles further for you and you know you're getting it worked on by the best Lotus tech around (but hopefully he's not in a pissy mood - TJ, I hope you're reading this!). :)

And also, Young (who owns Gator) has a great collection of cars to also check out. Either rent a trailer or split up the drive and stay over. Looking at google maps, stopping half way to hotel it in Bloomington or Champaign would be a good idea. Hell, stay in Champaign and hit on co-eds.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Also, you can see a few threads on those who have had oil line recalls done at LFSC. Not perfect (codes, etc).

TJ has done a ton of them and can get a front clam off in no time.

I'd do that.

·
Supporting Vendor
143 Posts
LFSC has a reputation as just being 'meh'.

You'll get to see great cars there - Ferrari, AM, McLaren and the smoking hot receptionist! :)

That being said, I'd go to Indy. It's basically 100 miles further for you and you know you're getting it worked on by the best Lotus tech around (but hopefully he's not in a pissy mood - TJ, I hope you're reading this!). :)

And also, Young (who owns Gator) has a great collection of cars to also check out.
Thanks for the nice words everyone. Derek, If you wanted to make the trip, let us know. we will help anyway we can. Check out our website, see what we are about. Gator Motorsport | Unrivaled Excellence

Shoot me an email if you have any questions or I can help you in any way.
[email protected]

Franzen (swingLo) I am only in a bad mood when your around..... ;)

T.J.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Fortunately for you, I'm never around. Seeing as the only real Lotus service option is 3 hours away! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it looks like Indy would be about an extra 1.5 hours on each end... but I suppose it'd be worth it to know the job would be done right and not drive home to find out the dealer f*cked up and I need to take it back -.-

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,770 Posts
This is why I haven't gotten it done... I don't trust LFSC (they are 1 hour away) based on other's feedback and I don't have the time to drive to Indy... Last thing I want to do is drive 4.5 hours and rent a hotel for a night or two just to get maintenance done... The economics might say that a oil cooler relocation kit is cheaper when between food, hotels and gas you are in the $400 range. If Indy was a nice vacation spot maybe this would be different but I have no other reason to go unfortunately...

I like the concept of reliability centered maintenance...
EAA Sport Aviation - January 2010

Bad news is that this is a known failure so it should get fixed...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess this may be a dumb question... but my car is 8 years old and has 28k miles on it, and nothing has gone wrong yet... is there something specific that triggers or encourages this failure to happen? Maybe hard track use or something? Maybe I can put it off for a little longer? As I have already spent about $1500 on my car since spring started... haha

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I had the recall, radiator, and resistor retrofit done by LFSC. First - they are expensive. Second - it didn't look like they knew 100% what they were doing, as there was some damage to the wrong side of my radiator when I got it back. They're nice enough, but it's far from the work the old FVMC did.

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
the answer to all those questions is no. the failures occur during all kinds of use and you most likely will not get any kind of warning if/when they decide to go. Probably not a bad idea to examine the fittings for weeping, but its likely you won't find anything. The perceived risk for you to decide, and no one can tell you if things will pop. One thing is for certain, if they pop on you it could cost you more than what a trip to indy would (no oil is bad for a motor) and you may lose some potential buyers if any of them learn your hoses popped during use....

On the other hand if its got 28k miles on it an no problems yet, sounds likely its not an urgent issue to take care of.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the answer to all those questions is no. the failures occur during all kinds of use and you most likely will not get any kind of warning if/when they decide to go. Probably not a bad idea to examine the fittings for weeping, but its likely you won't find anything. The perceived risk for you to decide, and no one can tell you if things will pop. One thing is for certain, if they pop on you it could cost you more than what a trip to indy would (no oil is bad for a motor) and you may lose some potential buyers if any of them learn your hoses popped during use....

On the other hand if its got 28k miles on it an no problems yet, sounds likely its not an urgent issue to take care of.
@ your last comment... that was kind of my thought. Plus, I can just make damn sure to check the oil more often than normal until it gets done.

No oil is bad for a motor? :confused: Hmm, I would have never guessed ;)

But in all seriousness, I do appreciate the responses (@ everyone). I'm not exactly sure which fittings it is that you're talking about the weeping. Is there a thread that would show pictures or explain where this problem sources at?

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Starving the engine when they let go is bad. Spraying the rear tires with oil at speed on the highway is very bad. Making it to 28k miles without them letting go could mean that it'll never happen - or it could just as easily mean that you're on borrowed time and it'll let go any day now.

Young is having his annual Indy 500 party at the dealership this year. That would be something to make the trip for. Maybe you can line up an appt. right before or right after.

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
Checking the oil 'extra' isn't going to help except in the rarest of cases, most of the time they pop without any advanced notice. The oil is routed from the engine around the front of the car, there are 6 fittings to check, 2 at the back where the sandwich plate is and 4 up front on the oil coolers that are forward of the front wheels. There are diagrams and pictures in the oil line thread you already commented in and said you didn't want to look through all 50 pages :)

This isn't intended to offend, but having a for sale ad listing your car as 'immaculate' and talking yourself out of fixing a known defect probably isn't encouraging to potential buyers in and of itself. However most people don't search so probably just me being overly observant, and if it gets fixed before any problems it will be irrelevant.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,770 Posts
Yeah... I think I have determined I will just take my car to LFSC... Honestly Indy is just too damn far away (and not interesting enough) to justify taking vacation.

The way I look at it is that if LFSC messes up the oil coolers then the failure rests on them/Lotus as opposed to me not getting the recall done.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Checking the oil 'extra' isn't going to help except in the rarest of cases, most of the time they pop without any advanced notice. The oil is routed from the engine around the front of the car, there are 6 fittings to check, 2 at the back where the sandwich plate is and 4 up front on the oil coolers that are forward of the front wheels. There are diagrams and pictures in the oil line thread you already commented in and said you didn't want to look through all 50 pages :)
Touche. :)

This isn't intended to offend, but having a for sale ad listing your car as 'immaculate' and talking yourself out of fixing a known defect probably isn't encouraging to potential buyers in and of itself. However most people don't search so probably just me being overly observant, and if it gets fixed before any problems it will be irrelevant.
I don't take it as offensive, and I'm a straight forward person myself (so I can appreciate brutal honesty better than most). If someone is seriously looking at the car, I would go out of my way to ensure they knew that the recall has not been done yet if I haven't had the time to have it done myself (this is something I have found out since I posted the ad and didn't know when I bought it).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah... I think I have determined I will just take my car to LFSC... Honestly Indy is just too damn far away (and not interesting enough) to justify taking vacation.

The way I look at it is that if LFSC messes up the oil coolers then the failure rests on them/Lotus as opposed to me not getting the recall done.
I clearly don't understand the 'too far' arguments.

But this "if LFSC messes up the oil coolers then the failure rests on them" is, from my perspective, just plain foolish. While it's technically possible to get the job done in 1 day, I wouldn't count on that. If you're making a significant drive (i.e. central Wis or IA) then I would anticipate an overnight. Given the so-so reviews from people that actually had work done at LFSC (and those that had issues directly as a result of the oil line service), the decision was far simpler for me --- why roll the dice and hope that LFSC gets it right? If they blow it, I could have had serious issues with the engine or (the >documented< ) oil-tires-crash outcome. Even if it turned out to be a minor @#%-up, that would have meant a SECOND trip back to LFSC. It's just a tick over hour to drive up there (for me). And then what? No (apparent) loaners. No rental car onsite. Sit for 8 hours? Not happening. Double that if I had to go back? Not a chance--my time and tolerance don't allow for that.

I made the (very easy) drive to Indy with ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE TJ/ GATOR would do it right and only once. This, of course, was the outcome. What's more, I never had any doubts DURING the service, as TJ sent me dig pix to my phone detailing the progress...I recall he had the front calm off in some RIDICULOUS amount of time--perhaps under 90 minutes.
I elected to stay overnight (although he could have gotten it out the door late the first day) but I didn't want him to rush it and there's a lot to do in Indy --I took in the Speedway Museum and Track tour (highly recc).

jm

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,770 Posts
I clearly don't understand the 'too far' arguments.

But this "if LFSC messes up the oil coolers then the failure rests on them" is, from my perspective, just plain foolish. While it's technically possible to get the job done in 1 day, I wouldn't count on that. If you're making a significant drive (i.e. central Wis or IA) then I would anticipate an overnight. Given the so-so reviews from people that actually had work done at LFSC (and those that had issues directly as a result of the oil line service), the decision was far simpler for me --- why roll the dice and hope that LFSC gets it right? If they blow it, I could have had serious issues with the engine or (the >documented< ) oil-tires-crash outcome. Even if it turned out to be a minor @#%-up, that would have meant a SECOND trip back to LFSC. It's just a tick over hour to drive up there (for me). And then what? No (apparent) loaners. No rental car onsite. Sit for 8 hours? Not happening. Double that if I had to go back? Not a chance--my time and tolerance don't allow for that.

I made the (very easy) drive to Indy with ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE TJ/ GATOR would do it right and only once. This, of course, was the outcome. What's more, I never had any doubts DURING the service, as TJ sent me dig pix to my phone detailing the progress...I recall he had the front calm off in some RIDICULOUS amount of time--perhaps under 90 minutes.
I elected to stay overnight (although he could have gotten it out the door late the first day) but I didn't want him to rush it and there's a lot to do in Indy --I took in the Speedway Museum and Track tour (highly recc).

jm
How does the "too far" argument not make sense?

LFSC is an hour from me. Gator motorsports is 4.5 hours away. If I took it to LFSC I can have my girlfriend pick me up and leave it with them for a few days if need be. Basically free.

If I drive 4.5 hours away to get service my girlfriend will most definitely not pick me up. Service departments don't work weekends either which means that at minimum I would need to take a day off for vacation, leave after work, drive all night, arrive in Indy at 10PM, spend the night, have TJ work on it all of the next day then drive the remaining 4.5 hours home once he finishes up... That is if it is successfully completed in a day too! Otherwise it is 2 vacation days & 2 hotel rooms... What's so hard to get? :shrug:

Look I know TJ, and I know he is good. I just have a job which requires me to be there and don't want to burn up my vacation days & cash to get a recall done. Not exactly a "vacation worthy" trip seeing that all I'm doing is cruising down a highway & waiting... Well at least in my opinion!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts