The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I will assume since these really have nothing to do with Lotus and after the last discussion that you are posting these here because you want some sort of a critique? :shrug:

The cars don't really go well together, is it the guys fleet?

First pic: Why do you have a poll (and power lines) sticking out of the roof of the Escalade?
Location is boring and there is a lot of reflections in the escalade. If you are going to shoot a black car properly, it needs to be done at sunset or sunrise in surroundings that are not going to reflect poorly in the car

Second shot: Meh, it's not really that interesting and the lighting seems dead on it, there is no punch in the colors

Third: Location is not very appealing and the background is busy, distracts from the car. Angle on the car does not do the lines of the car any justice. Why is the sunroof open?

Fourth: Again, poor lighting on a black car. Too wide a lens

Fifth: Nice shot of a headlight and a wheel, but where's the car? Why are you shooting with such a wide angle lens? Wide angles distort the lines of the car. If the point is to make the car look good, why are you trying to distort it? Cars should be shot with normal to long lenses most of the time. Longer lenses help compress the image and give the car a more aggressive look
If you are going to use a wide lens, get further from the car and use the wide angle to tell a story about the environment the car is in.

Location has potential (?) if you had used the graphic lines of the building to create an interesting composition.

I am not going to get into the other 40 pics.

As a good exercise, I suggest you stick to a normal lens (approx 50mm) and shoot everything with that for a while, it will help teach you to "see" better.
When I first started shooting, I used one lens for almost a year before I bought another

Pay attention to details, be on the lookout for odd things like telephone polls sticking out from the car. Don't shoot in front of dumpsters (always see people doing that) clean up garbage in the road. Roll up the windows in the cars. Try to make sure you see all four wheels when possible (this rule can be broken, but it's a good one to keep in mind)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
This one is the best of your shots IMO the fence makes a nice and simple graphic element that does not distract from the car (actually leads your eye to the car) and the better lens choice gives the car a good stance
But sunroof should have been closed and whatever is under the front wheel should have been removed, either on location or in PS after

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I like the other two cars, but the Escalade hurts my eyes and makes baby Jesus cry.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
The Audi is cool. The Escalade is Th3 Ghey. Please post pics of douchebag owner of it, just out of morbid curiosity. If he is a professional football player from "urban" culture I'll deem it acceptable. I have a feeling it's a goofy little white guy though. The M3 is the new civic of CA Asian kids.

·
Registered
799 Posts
rotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This one is the best of your shots IMO the fence makes a nice and simple graphic element that does not distract from the car (actually leads your eye to the car) and the better lens choice gives the car a good stance
But sunroof should have been closed and whatever is under the front wheel should have been removed, either on location or in PS after

Maybe it's because I got 3 hours of sleep, but to me it's rather uncomfortable to look at. (I'm no photographer, mind you) The fence in the back is kind of irritating.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Escalade needs to be lowerd so it sits on the rims. The way it is now it just looks dumb.

S4 is alright..nothing special.

M3 looks mean with the black wheels. The only thing is the windshield needs to be tinted and the sides darker.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I'm going to be honest,
Thank you all for the critique, mainly towards mopho.

But you guys are a bit to...picky, I know it's critique but I'm just trying to show off the cars and photos. You guys seem to hate super hard on both subject, I really rather not be around crazy negative people. Hope you guys have a good time on this site. I'll probably see one of you guys around.
-Spencer

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Haha I'm going to be honest,
Thank you all for the critique, mainly towards mopho.

But you guys are a bit to...picky, I know it's critique but I'm just trying to show off the cars and photos. You guys seem to hate super hard on both subject, I really rather not be around crazy negative people. Hope you guys have a good time on this site. I'll probably see one of you guys around.
-Spencer
As I understand it you want to be a professional car photographer some day, right? If so, you couldn't find a better guy to learn from than mopho. He's living your dream life, so why not accept, appreciate, and seek out as much of his knowledge and advice as possible?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts