The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday car jacks for the DIY are not low enough for the Elise. In order to jack up an Elise, a low (3 in/75mm) trolley/car jack is needed. Anyone have a source link to an affordable one? What's the price and spec on how low vs how high it will go?

-- Tom

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Get the Harbor Freight Aluminum jack. It's down to something like $150.

Best deal out there and it fits under the car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming the car does not have a jack in it?

The HF aluminum one is very nice.

In a pinch, one can drive the car up onto some wood blocks to use a standard jack. You have to be careful about your jacking points.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I built some ramps for my MR2 out of 3/4" thk particle board, 12" wide. Three different lengths of boards (screwed together from below) made for a nice stairstep ramp design. They're heavy but cheap and allowed me to use my existing floor jack.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I want to echo what Randy said about being very careful with the jacking points. Some of the Elise owners in Europe/UK have had some very unfortunate and expensive incidents with the jack slipping / punching holes in the bodywork. Not fun !

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Putting an Elise on stands is not an easy task.

First you have to get the undertray off the car which means putting the rear up. I jack each side up and put ramps under the rear wheel and then do the other side. Then remove the undertray - one the Exige 11 bolts and 2 allens hold it in place.

Then jack up the side and put the stands in their spots - don't miss though because you can put the stand right through the aluminum. Then swing over to the other side and do the same thing.

Not fun and not quick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There was a long discussion of the topic of jacking the Elise. Go to the LA auto show section and look at the last 2 pages of the "So what was your impression of the Lotus exhibit at the show?" thread.

The Elise doesn't come with a spare or a jack. Jack points are specific and well diagrammed by those in the know.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
MattG said:
I built some ramps for my MR2 out of 3/4" thk particle board, 12" wide. Three different lengths of boards (screwed together from below) made for a nice stairstep ramp design. They're heavy but cheap and allowed me to use my existing floor jack.

the idea of particle board for that application just sounds scary to me. i would feel a ton more comfortable with something less likely to return to the particle state

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
LotusLust said:
the idea of particle board for that application just sounds scary to me. i would feel a ton more comfortable with something less likely to return to the particle state
Yep. There used to be an ad in the bicycle magazines that went something like: If you've got a 10 dollar head, use a 10 dollar helmet. Same principle applies here, methinks.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I also use the Harbor Freight jack. It's very nice. I hope it will fit under an (LSS) Elise.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting... You need to remove the undertray in order to jack up the car? What about the lifts that service shops use? If I need to take my car in for, say, a tire change, do I they have to remove the undertray as well?

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For jacking up one side at a time (you lift the entire side with one jack-point a little in front of the rear wheel) it's not required to remove the undertrays.

Just make sure you only jack it up on the chassis beam and not on the aluminium floor sheet (too thin) or the fiberglass sill (too weak)

To use a 2-post lift with lifting 'arms' then yes you need to remove the engine undertray to access the rear jacking points (front points are accessible without removing panels).

Do not use the jacking points for lifting one side at a time on a 2-post lift, as this will put too much weight at the back and the car can topple backwards off of the lift. (expensive!)

You *can* use it if you attach the tow hook to the front of the car and then attach some ballast weight to the front... But that's a bit iffy...

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Arno said:
You *can* use it if you attach the tow hook to the front of the car and then attach some ballast weight to the front... But that's a bit iffy...

Bye, Arno. [/B]

It says in the owner's manual "be sure to take a valium before attempting this procedure" :p
Chris

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
LotusLust said:
Lol. Naw, it's just several layers of it in compression. It'll take a heck of a lot to disintegrate that. And Besides, it's just for temporary use, to raise the car enough to get the jack underneath.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Can standard jack stands be used?

·
Registered
825 Posts
ConeFusion said:
I also use the Harbor Freight jack. It's very nice. I hope it will fit under an (LSS) Elise.
I use the hip Harbor Freight aluminum jack under my race car and feel nothing but love. The price is nothing short of ridiculous for a lightweight jack that can fit under the lowest of cars. At SCCA and HPDE events the garages are full of these. If you ever plan to get under your elise, pick one up. Is nice.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts